Campfire Tracker
S
Marlin 1895 scout.

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't and haven't, but I am working on putting one together for close-cover hunting.

I was planning to buy a Marlin in 308MX, but a BLR takedown in 308 literally fell in my lap, so that will be the platform.

I am planning to use an Eotech holosight for fast target acquisition.

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Marlin 1895 scout.

Like it???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love the Steyr Scout rifles but I never use them with the forward mounted scope. The original idea for the forward mounted scope was so that the rifle could be loaded with stripper clips. Most scouts aren't loaded by stripper clips anyway.
A low powered variable with a good reticle can be used just as easily with both eyes opened as a forward mounted scope and are far superior optically. The forward mounted scope is an idea with small advantages that cause far more problems than they solve.
The idea of a handy all-around rifle is a good one, just don't hamper your rifle with a optically inferior forward mounted scope...................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Seems to me that it would make for an off balanced rifle too!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was just an old man's pipe dream. If some saw an advantage in a "scout rifle" that's cool too. I didn't.
g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.[Linked Image] My newest commercial acquisition as a deep woods rifle (45-70). It's surprisingly accurate too.

1Minute
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Anyone here hunt with one???

FIRST-The scout is not a HUNTING rifle. It is a general purpose rifle. It is meant to defend the home, thwart predaotrs in the barn, as well as secure game for the table. Anything that a man would do with his 30-30 or 300 Savage in 1908, it what a scout is intended to do today.

SECOND;-I played with concept a lot. First with a SMLE 303 BRit Carbine, then with the savage scout, finally, with this:

[Linked Image]

A 308 BLR. this is a VERY slick rifle. The LEver Action really is suited the Scout Concept much beter than a bolt.

Its just more "handy."

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find my Savage Scout to be "handy" too.
(God I hate that cliche.)

I don't see it primarily as a hunting rifle either, more of a tool to allow a man to look about without being too easy for other folks to bother.

Why is so much emphasis placed on hunting rifles anyway?

Great for summer hikes and fortuitous vermin and varmint encounters.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Marlin 1895 scout.

Like it???

I think it is great. I am toying with the "scout" AR 15 with my pending build...

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I learned the concept and the rifle under Jeff Cooper, and built several scouts and acquired a Steyr Scout. I hunted both Africa and North America with the Steyr Scout, and decided for hunting that the forward mount scope is not a good thing. It works best on a square range from 8:00a to 5:00p.

I also wrote up several articles on the concept. Please notice that they are mostly out of the marketplace. That should tell you something.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Many years ago, I tried this concept by modifying an old Chilean 7X57 mauser that had already been 'bubbaized'. I removed the rear sight leaf, filed the base down flat, and soldered a flat piece of metal back into the base. Then I drilled and tapped it and attached a Weaver base. Next I mounted a Tasco 2X pistol scope with a 9MOA dot. Next the bbl was cut to 20", a Timney trigger installed, and the action placed in a cheap Ramline stock.

I found a hoard of the old Hornady 175 gr RN bullets and loaded them to 2300 fps as per the original 7X57 military ballistics. Believe it or not, the thing would shoot sub MOA groups if you used a target that was compatible with the dot reticle.

I used the rifle for several years as a mid-day stalking and/or deer drive rifle. It was 6 for 6 on running or walking deer, all one shot kills. All you had to do was put the dot on the deer's chest and the jig was up!

This rig was very successful for me, but I would have never used it under low light conditions. I can't say it was really any better than a std scope setup with a similar low power scope, and I eventually relegated it to the back of my safe where it still resides. I just have too many rifles (tough situation, but I deal with it) that I want to hunt with and the newer ones usually get used.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For Clint Smith's Take on this issue, look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNG2w2TADus&feature=related

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
They're interesting, but not vastly superior to a good standard sporter. I hunted exclusively with one for several years. I've posted on it several times. Search and ye shall find.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think it is an excellent concept but I think the problem is compared to what? My Savage Scout is very ergonomic, very quick, very accurate and otherwise, just handy. The Steyr is a bit lighter, shorter and probably has a better trigger but the concept is valid. I think the biggest problem with the Scout concept is confusion over its purpose. Most simply shoot their rifles from a bench no matter what they are; they don't take them to the field and use them in a multitude of different types of shooting activities. A Scout rifle is meant to be carried and handled, to be mounted quickly, to be able to QUICKLY acquire a target from nearly point blank to maybe 400 yards. If you want to hunt pre-dawn, or dusk it is not the rifle for you unless you are self-limiting in the means of your hunt (and fair chase, etc.).

I will say this not meaning to offend but I think there is a trend in our society, in business and otherwise, to specialize. I like to say where I work that they are specializing us out of our jobs. And I say it with a smile but I really mean it. For me, it probably won't matter since I only have a couple years to go but not so for the younger folks. This applies to rifles as well. When there is specialization, the qualities of the specialization are emphasized. Everybody wants a "sniper" rifle--what do you get: a heavy, rifle meant to be shot from a rest or bipods.

So my question is how fast and likely is it that you will hit a target at some unknown distance, say between 40 and 100 yards offhand from "high ready" (butt at the hip, barrel pointed downrange). This is where the Scout rifle excells. Or say, the distance is 150 to 250 yards; from high ready; how long until a hit? Fall to the knees while looping up in the Ching Sling, quick target acquisition in the extended relief scope, and bang. I can do both pretty quickly with my Ruger 30.06 as well but I use a low power scope and a Ching Sling; but I am faster with the Scout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flashman
Fall to the knees while looping up in the Ching Sling, quick target acquisition in the extended relief scope, and bang..............................

If you'll try the same thing with a low powered variable such as a 1.1-4 or 1.5-5 with a good thick reticle, I think you'll find you are just as fast or faster with the traditional scope left at the low end, will have extra versatility of being able to increase magnification if you have time for a setup shot, and the optics of a std low powered variable are unquestionably superior to any medium eye releif scope currently made.

The Scout rifle is a great concept, forward mounted Scopes aren't...................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd hunt with a Scout setup before I would a bow, maybe.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
At 200 yards, maybe, at least for me a 2.5X standard relief vs the extended relief are very close. They aren't close at 25 yards however.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have.
I found it as fast as a ghost ring peep sight. That means it is the fastest set up I've ever used. However, with a 4X Leupold, due to it's large eye box, the difference is pretty small. The basic 4X has far more low light performance.
Cooper said that himself. With a stock sporter and a basic, no frills scope, we will do very well.
Some of the other points that made a Scout Rifle were pretty valid. The idea of a short, light rifle chambered for a basic round like the .308 pushing a good 150 gr. bullet at 2700 plus, for instance.
Putting the scope out there on the barrel help to counter the tendency for such rifles to be muzzle light. It also allowed you to easily carry the thing with an encircling grip.
The best idea that I got from playing with one was the CW sling concept. Almost all of my big game rifles have this three point setup for use with a reversed Cobra Sling. Much lighter than the standard military style shooting sling, again puts the weight out on the forend, and much faster/easier to get into. Cuts my group size by 30%. When I'm winded, it cuts my group sizes even more. Big help when one is in a hurry to shoot with a light Mtn. Rifle and is out of breath.
One of the things Cooper discovered is that such a light rifle can shoot some very respectable groups out to 400-600 yds. Not as good as a tactical style, sniper rifle, but not as far off as you'd think. Much faster and easier to use up close than the tac rifle with it's bipod. And much easier to live with. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.