Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mathman

I see this as comparable to a Ford/Chevy/Dodge type of thing.

More like a Ford/Lincoln thing. grin

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

If you mean additional frilly stuff that doesn't operationally improve things, then maybe so. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have an issue with that POV at all..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a mark v deluxe in 300 wby and an accumark in 270wby. Not sure why I own them. Way too heavy for my use. They both function flawlessly and are 1 inch groupers. Barrels are 26 inch which is too long for my preference. Both are beautiful build rifles but my tastes have changed since I bought them. I dont particulary care for the stock design and prefer a more straight comb. I never had a 6 lug or one that wasnt a magnum in my hands so I cant say if I woukd like one of those.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

If you mean additional frilly stuff that doesn't operationally improve things, then maybe so. grin

Figured that one was coming. laugh

I went through the "no-frills" minimalist thing with 700's in my youth. These days, I appreciate a few more frills.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I was twenty I bought MkV's, now I'm fifty and a heavy majority 700 shooter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you must enjoy driving Yugos then smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I've also shot many thousands of rounds from 700's over an even longer time span. Within arms reach are the record books of three of them whose summed round counts come to about ten thousand. Not a hitch yet.

As long as this is still going on, I might as well jump back in. grin

I have a number of 700s and one in particular is on its third barrel ( takes 10-12K rounds to burn out the barrel)...and the current one has just over 8K on it. Im still waiting for the extractor to break, the bolt to fall off, or the rifle to start shooting as soon as I turn the safety.

Very disappointing so far...just boring.

Id love to see...or hear of a Weatherby on its third barrel with nearly 30K rounds through it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
700 user :
[Linked Image]

Weatherby user:
[Linked Image]

I was going to post a picture of myself but decided against it as it would really skew the message smile

Wow!

Is that an archives photo of Swampy with his azz shot dink?

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And....his skookum golf cart...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do have a 257 on it's second barrel, but nowhere near a 30K round count. Probably closer to 5K. I've never had any issues with the over one dozen Weatherbys I've owned, suffice to say I am SURE there's been a few lemons out there.
That said there is no disputing, as reported by the likes of Don Heath and many others, of issues with Remington's thin extractors that are prone to failure (a guy who used to post here under AFP and a big 700 fan for instance) reported a few extractor failures as did Mr. Heath. One need only go as far as this forum to read bona-fide bolt handle separation stories (personally I've only seen ONE), and the trigger/safety issue is not only a matter of record, but litigations are legion and one never hears of any other brand other than 700s. Those issues are factual. Does that keep me from owning them? hell no, although I only own just one, a 22-250 that gets plenty of use on Ground Hogs at our place in PA.

Does the fact it's a push feed bother me? obviously not. So what's left? Looks for one, and I absolutely loathe the looks of Remington's bolt handle knob as well as the Hurst-Shifter look of the safety and lastly and perhaps the worst peccadillo of all, is the fact the safety will not lock the handle. So aside from the non-bolt locking safety issue, it boils down to looks and feel and yes I understand PERFECTLY if people hate the look of a Weatherby, but put them aside for a moment and compare a 700 to a Model 70 or an old Browning Safari Grade and well, the difference in form, fit and functionality as a HUNTING rifle, is not even close. My opinion, that's all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is a Blonde/redhead/brunette thing for sure. And we know you like flashy blondes wink

And Im scared schitless of redheads... eek

So on it goes....

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
It is a Blonde/redhead/brunette thing for sure. And we know you like flashy blondes wink

So on it goes....

I got one with a bad chamber once....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RWE

So on it goes....

I got one with a bad chamber once....

Chatter marks or too deep? laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even money the haters will chime in soon...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of, what ever happened to Swampy, haven't seen one of his posts in quite a while.

Is he still fighting Yankees down in Florida, or is he languishing somewhere in a Yankee POW camp?

I thought about him recently, working on a nice 7mm-08 project.

As I recall, Swampy declared the 7-08 won't kill WT's. I need his load data... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cons:

Grossly over priced

Heavy

Numerous Mechanical issues

Ammo is über expensive, and Freudian by nature.

Pro:

You'll be the envy of every one else in the trailer court.

It's worth commenting on an 8 year-old thread just to repeat that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Speaking of, what ever happened to Swampy, haven't seen one of his posts in quite a while.

[Linked Image]

He must've moved to Montana, on account of he's wearing ingwe's hat and all....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

[Linked Image]

He must've moved to Montana, on account of he's wearing ingwe's hat and all....

I hate to inquire about that infamous Leopard garment... shocked

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.