Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 56 57
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by buckkiller
You talk about kick like a mule,I have a taurus ultra-lite titanium 44mag that i carry for bears. It weighs 28oz. I load it with 300gr swc. moving at 1150fps. Thats a mule.

Tell me more about your ultra-light 44mag. I am looking for a light weight 44mag to carry on a belt when hunting with a long gun. My Ruger Bisley Hunter does great for handgun hunting but it is too heavy to carry all day on my belt or with another gun.

The Taurus UL might be too much of a good thing at only 28ozs. How does it shoot? You must have to hold it down hard to stay on target. How hard was it to sight in? What is your best 50 yard group? Or is 25 yards a better range for this gun?

Do you feel that you could hit something running at you with it? Or is more weight needed to shoot well when under stress. Taurus also makes the 4" Tracker model at 34ozs and the SS model weighs 45ozs, I think.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had several different .44's over the years. This one is my latest, and hopefully my last:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Without a .44, the others were sort of incomplete! A good case can be made for the .44 being one of the most useful handgun cartridges ever for an outdoorsman.

Regards, Guy

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My S&W 329 PD. Great to carry, and fun to shoot(the recoils not that bad). My wife gave it to me a couple of Christmas's ago for a promotion/Christmas present:
[Linked Image]

My Desert Eagle with its 14inch barrel on(have the 6inch barrel also). I was evaluating the scope thats mounted on top of it at the time(and did'nt care for it that much). Was considering putting a Bushnell Holotech XLP(low profile one) on it, but called Bushnell and they said they are no longer making the XLP version:
[Linked Image]

A Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter that I use to own, topped with a 4X Leupold. One of the best 44 Mag handgun set-up's for hunting in my opinon. A guy traded a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X40 plus cash for this, kind of regret getting rid of it. I figured I had the DE with the longer barrel for handgun hunting and alwasy wanted a Mark 4 scope:
[Linked Image]

I support world peace...one carefully placed round at a time.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Soon to post my own but these look awesome. They "made my day"..

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Since we have been discussing .44s again this morning I figured I would resurrect this old thread.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have a strong affinity for the 44 magnum. Not so much because of its power, moreso due to its versatility. From groundsquirrels to big game, the 44 magnum does a fine job.

Maybe I was influenced too much by Mr Keith and Mr Taffin. Being an Idahoan I suppose I can be excused for that.

Not pictured are my S&W model 629s or .44 specials, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]
Wow! No wonder Taffin featured some of your guns in his book on the .44. Off the top of my head, I have four .44 Magnum revolvers, all S&Ws. Here's my latest acquisition. It's a 29-2.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
11854-SmithWesson29-2.JPG (30.36 KB, 490 downloads)
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Since we have been discussing .44s again this morning I figured I would resurrect this old thread.

[Linked Image]
I love that picture. Tell me about the grips.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
[Linked Image]
How'd you manage all those bunnies? Been handgun hunting for bunnies (cottontails) with a Model 17 .22 lr, but rarely got more than one per hunt. I want your secret.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hawkeye,

The grips are Ropers by Rod Herret (Herrett's Stocks). They are a well designed grip that really fits my hands well.

Another that I like quite a bit are Eagle Classics.

No secret to killing bunnies, just sight picture and trigger control. I find that it is both humbling and beneficial. I use a K22 model 17-something quite a bit as well but the big jacks barely even react when shot with .22lr usually unless you hit them in the head.

I really enjoy winter time hunting of the bunnies as it gets me out of the house, burns calories tromping through the snow and polishes up my handgunning skills.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Those Thunder Ranch grips and T grip really look good with the deep blue on your new Smith!

Now go wear the finish off that thing!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,

The grips are Ropers by Rod Herret (Herrett's Stocks). They are a well designed grip that really fits my hands well.

No secret to killing bunnies, just sight picture and trigger control. I find that it is both humbling and beneficial. I use a K22 model 17-something quite a bit as well but the big jacks barely even react when shot with .22lr usually unless you hit them in the head.

I really enjoy winter time hunting of the bunnies as it gets me out of the house, burns calories tromping through the snow and polishes up my handgunning skills.
What I don't understand is how you even see that many bunnies in one day, let alone shoot them. Takes quite a bit of patience (if you don't have a Beagle) where I've hunted cottontails to even see one rabbit. They are pretty cautious, especially after a round has been fired. Are rabbits that plentiful where you live?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those Thunder Ranch grips and T grip really look good with the deep blue on your new Smith!

Now go wear the finish off that thing!
Yeah, I know. smile

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hawkeye,

I just posetd up a bunch of rabbit pics in the small game section, a thread on rabbit guns. You may get a kick out of them. I had fun taking them.

While I have a couple of collectable .44s, I am really just an outdoorsman/shooter so mine rarely stay looking good for too long. The way I figure it, when I die someone else will end up getting and using them anyways so I might as well enjoy hunting with some classics.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
an update.. smile

12 yds 250gr cast bullet, complete diagonal penetration from the right shoulder though the left ham.

[Linked Image]

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye,

I just posetd up a bunch of rabbit pics in the small game section, a thread on rabbit guns. You may get a kick out of them. I had fun taking them.

While I have a couple of collectable .44s, I am really just an outdoorsman/shooter so mine rarely stay looking good for too long. The way I figure it, when I die someone else will end up getting and using them anyways so I might as well enjoy hunting with some classics.
Good attitude.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hawkeye,

What I don't understand is how you even see that many bunnies in one day, let alone shoot them. Takes quite a bit of patience (if you don't have a Beagle) where I've hunted cottontails to even see one rabbit. They are pretty cautious, especially after a round has been fired. Are rabbits that plentiful where you live?

It varies from area to area and I have some well guarded honey holes, but yes, we have lots of rabbits, it really depends on the conditions too. When it is brutal cold out it really gets them moving. You may drive through an area one day and kick up 5 or 6 rabbits all day, then when a cold snap hits you may see a couple hundred. It has been my experience that the colder it is, the better.

I conservatively estimate that the day after Christmas, when it was in the negative numbers we probably saw 300 to 400 rabbits. However they are cagey as heck on some days and hard to get close. Handgun hunting them is really challenging.

Of course when you are carrying a shotgun, they will stay out 60 or 80 yards and when you are carrying a .223 or .22lr rifle or something, they are under your feet and will not hardly run for ya. No matter what, you will be carrying the wrong gun. At least that is how it usually goes for me.

A good rifleman with a scoped AR can really clean up.

Frankly I just like the challenge of hunting them with my .44s.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blammer
an update.. smile

12 yds 250gr cast bullet, complete diagonal penetration from the right shoulder though the left ham.

[Linked Image]
Inpressive. Bullet probably had a huge meplate too, so lots of trauma.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by blammer
an update.. smile

[Linked Image]

BEAUTIFUL!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It varies from area to area and I have some well guarded honey holes, but yes, we have lots of rabbits, it really depends on the conditions too. When it is brutal cold out it really gets them moving. You may drive through an area one day and kick up 5 or 6 rabbits all day, then when a cold snap hits you may see a couple hundred. It has been my experience that the colder it is, the better.

I conservatively estimate that the day after Christmas, when it was in the negative numbers we probably saw 300 to 400 rabbits. However they are cagey as heck on some days and hard to get close. Handgun hunting them is really challenging.

Of course when you are carrying a shotgun, they will stay out 60 or 80 yards and when you are carrying a .223 or .22lr rifle or something, they are under your feet and will not hardly run for ya. No matter what, you will be carrying the wrong gun. At least that is how it usually goes for me.

A good rifleman with a scoped AR can really clean up.

Frankly I just like the challenge of hunting them with my .44s.
I don't blame you.

Where in the US are you located?

Is Jack good to eat like cottontail?

Page 3 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.