John Snow??? Never heard of him.

Can you provide any background?

Jim

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winchester must have also restocked his .358 when it was returned to the factory as all .358s had low comb stocks....

Utterly ridiculous prices and some beat-up 70s, to boot....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
He's been the Executive Editor of OL for a while, and been doing some gun writing as part of that job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I met Jim at the 1999 SHOT show and talked with him briefly. Great guy and has probably forgot more about guns than most of us will ever know. "The Book of the Rifle " is a great book if anyone has ever read it I would highly recommend it. In fact he used to live in Bristol, VA which is basically the VA side of Bristol, TN.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I met Jim at the 1999 SHOT show and talked with him briefly. Great guy and has probably forgot more about guns than most of us will ever know. "The Book of the Rifle " is a great book if anyone has ever read it I would highly recommend it. In fact he used to live in Bristol, VA which is basically the VA side of Bristol, TN.

+1

I bought his Book of the Rifle when it was first published and highly recommend it to any serious student of the rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
He visits Herb Reilly's gunshop in TN often. I picked up a rifle from Herb one day and Jim left two minutes before I got there. Dangit! I think Herb built a few of Jim's project guns, one of which was a Mauser 98 that was cut in half, shortened, welded back together, then prettied up.

http://herbsgunshop.tripod.com/index.htm

Hardin284
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, thanks for the information. I guess this shows how long it is since I read an Outdoor Life magazine since I had never heard of Mr. Snow.

Jim

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
John Snow works for Fox News, did'nt know he knew anything about guns but he is from Colorado and likes to ski.

Dick
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't pay a premium even if they were owned by Elmer Keith or Jack O'Connor..........on the other hand if they were owned by Jeff Cooper grin

Mike

Agree. I would pay a fair price for an Al Beisen rifle regrdless of who owned it, but I would not pay a premium just because it was owned by a writer. In 30 years, few will know the name Jim Carmichael or the names of other writers who have been dead for 50 years.

If an honest provance exists for a rifle that was owned by Dwight Eisenhower, Douglas McArthur, George Washington (or some other truly famous historical person), I would pay a premium, assuming I could afford the piece.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think they'll be forgotten,I'll disagree with you there.I think their putting rediculous price's on "regular model's".I could see paying a small premium if one choose's to do so if their favorite writer was O'Connor, Carmichael,Gresham etc. Geez,I was at an auction and saw a $4000 Beretta sell for $50,000 because it belonged to Hemingway

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by panhandle
John Snow works for Fox News, did'nt know he knew anything about guns but he is from Colorado and likes to ski.

That would be Tony Snow. He worked for Fox and later became the White House Spokesman during the third term of President Bush's second term. He had cancer, leukemia I believe, and died about a year ago.

He always seemed fair

Steve

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/25/AR2006042501602.html

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve don't confuse us with facts.

LOL, I love this place

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tony Snow had Colon Cancer, not Leukemia...

He was in remission when he took the job as press secretary at the White House. The cancer came back, he then resigned and passed away soon after.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (Algotguns, Akhutr, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, batch, 11 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,228
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.