Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I would like to see some pics of a Ruger SP101 in 22 caliber.

When were they made, and why were they discontinued? Are they nice revolvers? How much do they weigh? Were they made in 4 inch? Would you buy one again given the opportunity?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one out in the safe...I'll try to get you some pics and the weight later today. I bought mine in about 1990 or so, when they first came out. Ruger's website can tell you born-from born-to dates; I don't know.

Mine is a 4-inch model; I'd sell it but my wife seems to think I should keep it so she can use it grin. It's an OK gun, in my opinion, but I liked the Rossi 518 I used to have a lot better. I have a Smith 317 now for my personal "carry .22"; I like it better than the Ruger mostly because it's so light. I wouldn't buy another SP101 .22 unless it was real cheap.

I still think the Smith 63 was the best kit gun ever made.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Interesting info. Those Smith 63s look great, but seem so expensive for just a 22.

I am looking at a Taurus 94 also. Any thoughts on those?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Those Smith 63s look great, but seem so expensive for just a 22.

You'll shoot a 22 more than anything else, so getting the best is way cheaper in the long run. When I worked on an indoor range, our Smith 22 revolvers outlasted every other rental 22 we had except for the Ruger Mk II autos. It's definitely a case of getting what you pay for.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 01/04/09.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SP101 pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S&W 317 for comparison...

[Linked Image]

My SP101 scaled 34 ounces; the S&W 317 goes about 14 oz. Guess which one I carry... grin.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting info. Those Smith 63s look great, but seem so expensive for just a 22.

Precision costs money...I think the 63 is worth the money. In hindsight, I wish I had bought one instead of the 317. Though I really like its weightlessness.

I have never owned a Taurus 94, but I have several Taurus centerfires, and I would buy one of their .22's in a heartbeat if I had a reason to.

Dennis

R
Raj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mule deer any idea what holster will fit the SP101 like yours?.Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know if the 317 was ever made w/out the zit?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raj

Pretty much anything that fits a J-Frame S&W, I believe. The holster I use was originally for a Charter Arms Pathfinder.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Anyone know if the 317 was ever made w/out the zit?

I think the first few years were made without the lock -- I got mine in 2006. I know they were made without the fiber-optic front sight mine came with. Which I promptly dumped in favor of Patridge sights.

Dennis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Is that a 3" or 4" barrel on yours? Nice piece, BTW.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
muledeer,

Thanks much for the pics and the weight. Does it shoot accurately?

It does seem a bit heavy. The Taurus I'm looking at weighs about 24 ounces and looks just like a Smith 63. It may not be the quality though, I don't really know.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
How hard is it to shoot one of the 317, being so light and all?

Did they ever make one with a 4" barrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The S&W M34/M63 is so handy and useful that I consider them a necessity of life! The "Kit Gun" genre of handgun is one of the most useful of an outdoorsman's gear. I pack my M63 in an El Paso Saddlery Tortilla pancake holster and never know it is there until it is needed. Great piece of gear!

S&W Model 63...
[Linked Image]

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been travelling, so haven't responded. I'll try to answer all the questions...

The 317 is 3"; the SP101 is 4". The SP101 is pretty accurate, though the sight is only adjustable for windage.

It took me a while to dial in to the 317 -- it's so light it's really hard to shoot consistently. I think 3" is as long a barrel as they've put on a 317.

I've never fired a Taurus 94, but they seem well built and good values. My Taurus centerfires are all good shooters, and good quality -- at least the equal of current S&W production. Not as good as the old ones, but as good as the new ones.

I still think the old S&W 34/63 is the best "kit gun" ever made, but the Rossi 518 was a near substitute.

Dennis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muledeer
Originally Posted by Raj

Pretty much anything that fits a J-Frame S&W, I believe. The holster I use was originally for a Charter Arms Pathfinder.

Dennis

If you're looking at fitted holsters, the J-frame holster won't fit the SP. There are plenty of holsters available for the SP101 centerfires. Shouldn't they also fit the rimfire?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dakota - I have a 5" Taurus 94 that I am very happy with....but only after a little "cleaning up" by my favorite gunsmith (for an additional $50). He smoothed the trigger and fixed the overly tight barrel to cylinder gap, which had been causing the cylinder to drag with the slightest fouling. Apparently, from what I've been hearing, the insufficient gap problem is not unusual with the m94 - so if you're looking at that model, be sure to check that closely.

At the time I bought my 94, the S&W 63 was out of production and used ones were extremely scarce. Although I am not sorry I got the Taurus, I have to admit that given the choice between the T94 and the now-available 5" S&W 63, I would go with the S&W - assuming I had the difference in price at hand. Even though the m94 is as accurate as any m63 I have seen, the S&W trigger is better "out of the box", and the S&W rear sight is also of higher quality.

If price is an issue though - I would just find a good example of the m94 and not look back.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would like to see some pics of a Ruger SP101 in 22 caliber.

When were they made, and why were they discontinued? Are they nice revolvers? How much do they weigh? Were they made in 4 inch? Would you buy one again given the opportunity?

I think most of your questions have been answered, but yes they are very nice revolvers. They were made in both 2.5" and 4" and the 4" was made with a full lug and half lug models. There are several find 22 Revolvers out there and I would also include the Smitth Model 63 among them. Both are relatively expensive. The SP101 has a real following and one of those will easily go for $500. If you can even find a Smith 63 (and they are tough to find) I suspect they will start at around the same price or a tad higher. I like the "idea" of the Smith 317 but have had a number of reports with how light they are they are fairly difficult to shoot accurately. Heavy trigger in relation to the weight of the gun is the problem and No way would I consider them cheap. I think they start new at around $600 or a touch more. I've looked at the Taurus 94 and may get one for general principle. The one I looked at the other day had a real stiff hammer pull and heavy double action pull but mostly people shoot these guns S/A anyway so not sure that's much of an issue. The one I looked at was about $350 or so (it seems like). If I had to choose between the two (SP101 and smith) I'd have to pick the Smith. I've had the 63 and 34 and I'm sorry I sold them but I think I found a 63 and will be purchasing it. If you decide on the SP let me know I may sell mine. And I do like the SP but prefer it in the 357 more than the 22.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a S&W 317 and a S&W 34. The 34 started life with a 2inch barrel, but now wears a 4 inch. It's a great pistol and has a home as long as I'm kick'n. The 317 is one of the early production models. The first time I saw it I knew it had to come home with me. I like the 3 inch barrel better than the 4 inch, but it's not really that big a deal. The eary 317 had the "standard" patridge sights we're used to seeing. Those sights are much easier to hold on a grouse's head than the big optic dot which can cover the whole grouse. The 317 is in fact a little harder to shoot. When the trigger pull is greater than the weight of the pistol you've got some getting used to, to do. Nothing a pleasant afternoon (you might be a moring person) and a brick of ammo can't cure. I find I shoot single action most of the time. I usually carry it in a shoulder rig while big game hunting. At 14 oz I forget I have it. It's a great koop-de-grass gun (I don't speak French)of course I've never needed it for that since my shots on big game always kill instantly. However, I have hunted with muledeer so it was good to have along, you know just in case. But now that he has one, I'll still carry mine. The 34 is a great little gun to shoot but since getting the 317 I usually carry it because of the weight difference. Neither seem fussy about ammo and shoot the bulk stuff well. I've had semi-auto .22lr's that were really fussy, so when I got the 317 and took it out the first time and discovered it would consistently hit those little steel swinging targets with what ever I fed it, it had found a home. I have no experience with the SP-101, I think they are of a good quality and if the price was right would buy one, that's assuming a S&W wasn't available. No experience with the Tarus .22. I am currently having an issue with Tarus over a .38 spl revolver's side plate screw just falling out, but that'll be another thread. I have to give them a chance to do the right thing. They've had one, again another chance and another thread.

The older I get the better I was.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.