Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Talley also makes aluminum Q.D. screw locks with a single screw on top instead of their standard two screws. Nice set up at only 2oz's. I'm not sure why they don't advertise them more, work well for me.

[Linked Image]

S&K's for a Remmy come in a little heavier, but still light.

[Linked Image]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
TiLug ....

I like the the Talley aluminum screw-locks in the picture. I've used steel screw-locks on several rifles, and they've been flawless. (I use the Talley peep sight, also.) I can't find any reference to aluminum screw-locks on the Talley site. Did you order them directly from Talley? Was it recently? Look like a winner to me

Also, Gentry has another system of "Conetrol clones" that I believe are lighter, yet. I'll find my set and weigh them.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Mark R Dobrenski ....

I prefer my scopes to be mounted low to the receiver. And Talleys are too high in their so-called "low" configuration. My latest project is a M70 SS Featherweight 30/06. I want the scope to be as low as is functional. And Talleys, as great as they are, are too high for my tastes. The Leupold vx3 - 1.5X5, my favorite scope, is going on the project. I talked to Gary Turner at Talley every couple weeks for a while, trying to coax him into making lower bases for the steel rings, and, particularly a LOW version of the alloy one piece system. People who favor scopes of modest power and light weight are left out currently. At each conversation, he said that he'd think about it. After 5 or 6 conversations, he said that he was too busy with other projects, and wasn't going to do it. I may have to use Conetrol bases/rings to situate the scope as low as it should be.

I was and am disappointed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have Leupold on most of my guns, but am switching over to Talley LW one piece on all of them.

I like that they are one peice.
I like that they have more area of contact on the scope tube-wider.
I like that they have two screws per side of ring-total of 8 per set.
I like that they are alloy so they will not rust like the Luppy steel rings do.
I like them because they are cheaper than buying Base/ring separately.
I like them because they are very well made.

The reasons are endless. I just plain and simple like them.

Chris

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
endgameAK - ordered directly from Talley. I believe you can add the levers to the aluminum rings, but have not tried them. I like the option of pulling off the scope for basic barrel/action cleaning/service and the Talley's return to zero pretty darn well. I bought a couple sets a few months back and was told they had plenty of inventory. I've been thinking of machining down a set of their L/W's, but the front base for a Rem. action is pretty thin already. IMO, if Talley would lower the bottom ring groove a quarter inch, and scallop the corners, they'd have the perfect light weight/hunting scope mount. Fine evening to you, - Jim

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 16 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.