Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with StrayDog; for a concerted effort at a big mule deer at todays costs,I would not hunt with an outfit that agreed to take a party of 6.I would even be skeptical of a camp that tried to accomodate that many...maybe I'm spoiled, but I've spent too much money on those kind of hunts.My biggest bucks have all come when I was in a small camp, or hunting good country on my own.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
You could save a large chunk of cash and have a significantly more rewarding time by just forgetting about the outfitter. You could do some research, invest in some decent gear, and do it on your own on public land in places that have tags that are not so tough to draw, and bucks that would make almost any hunter happy. By choosing that route, you could do 2 or 3 hunts in the next 3 or 4 years for the price of one outfitted hunt. Just something to consider.

Ditto that.

However DIY hunts ain't for everyone.
I know my spike camps ain't and I'm sure yours aren't either Kurt.

Big, real big muleys are about the toughest nut to crack these days.
Everyone wants them and there ain't many of them.

Sonora, extremley limited quota draws, high dollar private land hunts and expensive landowner tags tip the odds in your favor for sure.
As an example, how many years does it take to draw a unit 10 or 21 Colorado deer tag these days? 10, maybe 14 years?...The Arizona strip, the Henry's?

As Greenhorn said, there are other ways, but the odds usually ain't good and the
The bigger your budget, the better your odds.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As for DIY...the 5/6 of us hunt Colorado every even year on public land out of our tent set up at 9600 feet and do DIY. I remember in 2006 (before fuel prices shot up) it cost less than $900 a head including fuel, food, licenses, everything. We average about 3 elk per hunt and in that 2006 hunt my uncle shot a 300"+ 6x6. This past year I was fortunate enough to take a 250" 5x5.

We love the DIY hunt and are all about it. In fact none of us have ever had a guide involved in a hunt.....and my Dad and Uncles have been hunting a lot of years.

This is probably a one shot deal...once in a lifetime. That is why we want to make sure we do it right. We don't plan on making a habit to involve an outfitter (obviously unless law requires it).

With our Colorado elk hunt, we know we are going to be going back, so each year we learn and improve, knowing that the next hunt we will be better and have another crack at them. For that reason, we are not in search of an elk hunt, because we will hunt them during our DIY hunt. Same story with Whitetails....we hunt them every year on our property in WI.

We are looking for a hunt that we may not have a chance to do again....for that reason we want to give all participants a good chance at a trophy of a lifetime....because it may be the only time in our life.

If we had nothing but time, were all single, with no kids.....we would just do DIY hunts for elk, whitetails, muleys, moose, etc. every year. But that isn't the case. So we choose to hunt Elk regularly (every other year) as a DIY, whitetails regularly (every year) as a DIY, and we are thinking about one shot at a dandy muley.

WOW...what a lot of babbling. Sorry.

P.S. Hunting to us is also all about camaraderie as hunting partners/friends/family.....so we do it together for better or for worse.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of fun things to be planning here and for me the planning is a whole lot of fun.

What kind of budget for the outfitter part are you looking at?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess considering we are also looking into a bow/rifle canadian caribou hunt which run around the $7k mark, I would say that is the upper end.

Don't get me wrong. If we can find a quality hunt for half that price, we will jump at it.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could go it on your own the Alaska for bou's with your party and have a blast. Hire someone to drop you off for a week and do it basically all on your own.

I did this in the early 90's and had a super time.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I agree with StrayDog; for a concerted effort at a big mule deer at todays costs,I would not hunt with an outfit that agreed to take a party of 6.I would even be skeptical of a camp that tried to accomodate that many...maybe I'm spoiled, but I've spent too much money on those kind of hunts.My biggest bucks have all come when I was in a small camp, or hunting good country on my own.

This is excellent advice from a veteran muley hunter, and I couldn't agree more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If this is a once in a lifetime deal for you I would just draw in various states and DIY. I would not count on any outfitter producing a 30"+ deer with any amount of money. It might happen but the odds are not in your favor on a one time hunt, No matter how much smoke they try to blow up your ass and money they take from you. I have seen an equal amount of really big mulies in Wyoming and Colorado on both Public and Private land. It's the time spent researching, scouting and area and then hunting it that will reward you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I'd argue that. Better yet disagree with you.
A few years back, I guided for Duwane Adams up in the Kaibab. There was 12 guides, 2 cooks and 10 hunters. Plenty of room for everyone, plenty of area on the west Kaibab for all to hunt and we all had a great time. And thats not including the other camp on the east side of the Kaibab that didn't camp with us. I think there was 4 hunters in that group.
Some of the bigger outfitters in Sonora accommodate about 5 or 6 hunters per group. And they are hunting 50,000 acres plus.
So I disagree with you guys. Tho I can see an issue of there was 6 hunters hunting say 5,00 acres or something small like that, but as big as some of the areas are. 6 is not too many if the accommations, guides, cooks, transportation and area allows for it.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
If this is a once in a lifetime deal for you I would just draw in various states and DIY. I would not count on any outfitter producing a 30"+ deer with any amount of money. It might happen but the odds are not in your favor on a one time hunt, No matter how much smoke they try to blow up your ass and money they take from you. I have seen an equal amount of really big mulies in Wyoming and Colorado on both Public and Private land. It's the time spent researching, scouting and area and then hunting it that will reward you.

"Just Draw"
All that reasearch and scouting is for naught if you can't draw the tag.
1-2% draw odds real common in the hottest units in the west unless you spend the $$$$ for landowner tags.
My buddy has been buying LO tags in Colorado for the last few years and if I recall he pays about $4500 to $5000 for the tag alone.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Just Draw"

No kidding really I didn't know that, thanks for enlightening me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Just Draw"

No kidding really I didn't know that, thanks for enlightening me.

No Problem.
Just Draw.
[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Enrique, do you know Jeff Wyckoff? I used to hunt & guide with him, but lost touch over the years. He called his service Arrowhead Outfitters & was from Munds Park.

Anyway, Jeff would be my go-to guy for anything Arizona. For New Mexico, I've heard good things about Ross Johnson.

http://www.rossjohnson.com/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cacciatore

We are looking for a hunt that we may not have a chance to do again....for that reason we want to give all participants a good chance at a trophy of a lifetime....because it may be the only time in our life.

Sounds like a great reason to go on a outfitted hunt!
Good luck to you all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ross Johnson passed away in 2008.

IMO, your best choice is Old Mexico if the parameter are (1) trophy mule deer (2) once in a lifetime (3) and you don't have 20 years to draw one of the covedted tags which doesn't help a group.

If you have any thoughts of a combination hunt (elk/deer), take a look at Montana's guaranteed/outfitter sponsored tags. A big mule deer will be the challange, but the elk are back. An outfitted hunt on horseback might be the adventure of a lifetime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eblues,
Sorry never met either of the two. I have heard good thing about Jeff tho. And there is no doubt he is a good outfitter. I am just spoiled having Duwane as a friend along with many of his guides. For that reason I have learned to hunt, guide and outfit. Duwane has taken some big bucks and bulls so for me its a no brain to go with the person I know best.
I am friends with a lot of outfitters and guides, but when it comes to Mule deer, I don't know many that could best Duwane on the Kaibab. If I drew a strip tag, I would switch gears and go with Chad smith. To me he is one of the best of there, I see him and Ryan Hatch tied for the best strip hunters. But I know Chad and he is a good friend.
Call me Biased.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Enrique,

The reason I asked was remembering Jeff mentioning that he knew & hunted with Duwane Adams. I know what you mean though, if you find someone really good to hunt with, there's no reason to change.

Well dang Toolelk, I'm sorry to hear about Ross. Do you know what happened to him?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He had a heart attack while pouring cement.
Not a very glamorous way to go.

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ctore,
Give Stu Massey a call in Craig, CO. Northwest Colorado Ranching for Wildlife. I haven't talked to Stu in awhile but have taken several nice Mule Deer hunting with NWCRW in years past. They leased ranches in units 11 and 211, 12, 13, 22, and 23 and at one time had a lease in unit 10. They are a great bunch of guys to hunt with and have ranch house accommodations.
Last I heard though booking this late was normally a problem. The Ranching for Wildlife programs are neat because they have the tags (draw not necessary). There fees were very reasonable and the animal quality was always real good.
Region G in Wyoming but you gotta have points to draw. There are several good outfitters in Jackson and Alpine and hunting the Bridger is pretty good Mule Deer hunting. Check out the pics of the Muleys on Jackson Hole Outfitters web site. I've hunted with those guys and am probably going back this year.
The bucks don't get much bigger than some of those on their web site. Biggest Muley I have ever seen I saw in Bridger. Unfortunately I couldn't close the deal.
One things for sure and as anyone posting here will probably tell you the same thing be in shape and be prepared to do a lot of glassing and hunting either on foot or on horseback. 170"-200" Muleys aren't standing under every Cedar and make sure your sleeping with your rifle.

Good Luck,
Dave

Last edited by RaceTire; 01/10/09.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kique:You're of course free to disagree with me,and you no doubt look at this from a guide/outfitter perspective....I might live long enough to draw a Kaibab tag wink

If I did, you can bet I would not be in camp with 6 others;I know Duane Adams reputation ,which is great;but the Kaibab is not a realistic expectation for someone who wants to hunt each year,so it can hardly be regarded as "typical".The same applies to any special draw unit that attracts lots of attention.You can spread out 6 guys because the tags are limited.You can grow old waiting for one of those tags.

With very few exceptions anymore, I no longer bother with the US for mule deer;I go to Canada instead.I have been on enough of the "typical" guided hunts in the West to know that opportunities for success(remember we are talking about "my" or "your" chances at a BIG mule deer)are just not very good.

Also, the "typical" guided hunt in the West runs 5-7 days,which could be 4-6 days more than you need; but IMO no where near enough time.If I cannot go for at least 10 days, I won't bother.This year I hunted 14 consecutive days; it was not "enough" time...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
261 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.