Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[bleep] USO.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bob33
I've used Larry Altimus of HAS for many years, and highly recommend him. I also subscribe to Huntin' Fool. Consider that many other hunters also do, and thus their highly rated units will generally attract lots of applicants, resulting in lower draw odds. If you want to play it safe and go for highly rated units, then Huntin' Fool is a good way to go. If you're looking for the "dark horse", then using someone like Larry is a better choice. The older I get (53 now), the more I am thinking that applying for the very best units might not be the wisest approach...I may be dead or too old to use the tags if and when drawn. That's something only you can decide: would you rather have (maybe) one lifetime hunt in a state like AZ, UT, or NV for a trophy, or perhaps two or three hunts in lesser units?

Makes a lot of sense!

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was severely mislead (you interpret mislead) by Eric at Cabela's TAGS. And, I have the documentation to prove it. I would give up hunting before I gave them another dime.

Last edited by KLM; 03/03/12.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I subscribe to Huntin Fool and Eastmans, then call the fish and game before I pick a new unit to put in for. My problem is I am running out of time for a truly big bull area. Don't really know what to do about it either. Will hunt two possibly three states this year.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tag applications are much too important in my book to pass the responsibility on to someone else.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You would be best served to keep your money away from Cabelas and any of their of their "hunting programs".They're real good at screwing you over...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can verify Carter. I've never used his services, but some of my clients have and they swear by him. I wouldn't go anywhere near USO or Cabela's, though.

SWJ, if you need info on the Arizona draw or the Alaska draw, let me know.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ive had very good luck with cabelas. Plus the front the state fees
Good luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
I can verify Carter. I've never used his services, but some of my clients have and they swear by him. I wouldn't go anywhere near USO or Cabela's, though.

SWJ, if you need info on the Arizona draw or the Alaska draw, let me know.

Huntin Fool is going through a few changes right now, I would wait a while till everything gets cleared up. I would look at Aaron Neilson with Global Hunting Resources or Jason Campbell with Worldwide Trophy Adventures for an application service. Both are great guys!

Maverick, I saw where you mentioned Arizona as the first place you would go for a mule deer hunt in another thread, do you guide down there? I agree that AZ is a great place to go but other than the Strip and the Kaibab I have never thought of AZ ahead of NM, CO or WY. Not saying its wrong, just different. There are some fantastic hunts in AZ that are easy to draw, thats for sure

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Drum,
When are you and JG gonna adopt me so I can hunt big texas Mulies with you guys?lol

In AZ, for a rifle hunt, I would only consider hunting the strip and Kaibab too for MD. I have hunted other units, but the likihood of busting a bruiser in slim. However there are units down south by the border that hold some monster mule deer, but best time to find em is during the rut and requires archery gear. If I had a gov tag, I would love killing a giant mule deer along the border, but a general rifle tag, I would stay north. 37B has asome monsters, but again I only see em during the rut.
Now I am getting excited about applying for deer again. Dammm u people!!

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used Huntin Fool for a while and they do a good job and are certainly personal with it. You can call and discuss at any time.

Aaron Neilson is a great guy and I would trust him as well.

Nosler's Magnum Hunt Club is also a group that I know well and they do a good job with apps too.

Altimus run a great service and will front all of the money for you like Cabelas but he's a little more expensive than some others.

I'd stay away from Cabelas and USO. There are several more that I've missed but the smaller operations seem better and allow you to have a lot of control over what gets done without the headache of keeping up with everything.

Lee

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great mule deer can and do come from every unit in Arizona. Historically, the state of Arizona has produced excellent trophy mule deer, statewide. The geology of Arizona is such that an eye-popping buck can come from just about every unit. With that said, some units are better than others, but a trophy buck can be killed during general rifle seasons if a guy knows what he's doing or goes with someone who knows what they're doing.

On another note, Arizona's unit 12 and unit 13 hold the greatest number of overtly large mule deer and that region of Arizona is probably the best place in North America for an average guy to actually kill an unbelievable buck that would far exceed just about everyone's expectations.

I've hunted and/or photographed mule deer just about everywhere they occur on the North American continent and the units in extreme northern Arizona seem to hold the highest percentage of extraordinarily over-sized bucks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Double [bleep] USO. I would stay away from both, and use Garth Carter. They are honest and will do you right.

Toby Joe

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Garth Carter is a douche-bag. Yeah, keep sending him $100 so he can keep affording landowner tags and private hunts all over the west. He has done more to ruin western hunting than anyone in history.

You can go to a site like Monstermuleys, and look up draw odds for areas where you want to hunt. It is not that hard to do this schit yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd shy away from Garth and Huntin Fool until the storm passes at very least. Garth has allegedly retired due to an alleged illegal sheep hunt in Canada and Jason is no longer there from what I've heard and there are a lot of changes going on there.

It will be interesting to see what happens

*Edit*
I have heard this from a number of different people within the industry, some that have nothing to gain if this is true and some that do have something to gain if its true. If you with to follow up with this just call the guys at Huntin Fool to get their side of the story. Time will tell and as always, regardless of what charges Garth may or may not be facing everybody is innocent until proven guilty.

I would still look at Aaron Neilson or Jason Campbell first

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/05/12.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have been using USO for the last 8 years. They apply me for several sheep tags and I have had no problems with them.

I see several here have posted objections to using USO but none have said why.

Please enlighten us as to why they are a problem and not well liked out West. I know he had his lawsuit against some of the Western states. Is that the reason?

Have any of you that have a problem with them ever had an actual problem or is it something else.

I am just curious because if there is something going on that I am unaware of I would want to change services.

Last edited by Bigamhuntr; 03/07/12.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glad you asked, and here's the type of people you're dealing with:

Almost 10 years ago now, George Taulman himself went out to my buddy's house in W OK Panhandle. He hired him and his son to gather up land, landowers tags, and guide hunters for SW Kansas. This was back when KS still issued landowner tags that the landowners could sell to whoever they wanted. Henry (dad and my buddy) and "Pedro" (his son), did so just as they were asked to do. It went very well that first year, with Bill Jordan, Jackie Bushman, and several others being clients and guided by Henry and Pedro. There were some big bucks killed. The very next year, Taulman went straight to the landowners himself in KS, made a deal, and cut Henry and Pedro out of everything, including guiding. They got screwed and tatooed by the gutless, cowardly, thieving Taulman. He's a POS.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigamhuntr
I have been using USO for the last 8 years. They apply me for several sheep tags and I have had no problems with them.

I see several here have posted objections to using USO but none have said why.

Please enlighten us as to why they are a problem and not well liked out West. I know he had his lawsuit against some of the Western states. Is that the reason?

Have any of you that have a problem with them ever had an actual problem or is it something else.

I am just curious because if there is something going on that I am unaware of I would want to change services.

I've met George personally and if I hadn't been on a missle range hunting with my best friends daughter I would have had to be pulled off of him.

We get to a spot to glass thats on a ridge thats miles long. As we are getting our stuff ready and starting to walk to the glassing knob this truck pulls in directly behind us and a guy jumps out and starts trying to race up the hill to get to the knob first. It was a BS move that showed a complete lack of class and ethics. There were NUMEROUS areas to glass and we were there before anybody else. Those guys should have moved down the ridge where there were no other hunters, like I said, the ridge was mile long.

Turns out it was George Taulman, one of his guides and 2 clients. We are glassing the Oryx and George comes down and says "Which ones are yall going after?" We told him that they would eventually work their way to us and that we were going to wait and see which Oryx we wanted before making any definitive decision. He said that they were bailing off in front of us and they did.

That son of a bitch came in behind us, set up on top of us then bailed off in front of us and ruined our hunt trying to make impossible stalks on the Oryx. His radio boy then screwed up our hunt when the Oryx did what our guide knew they would do and moved up the draw towards us. He tried to spook them back to George.

Needless to say, I would not piss in his mouth if he were dying of thirst. He's an a-hole. Do yourself a favor and go with an agent/outfitter that has morals and ethics. George Taulman is morally bankrupt

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Put me in the camp of those who think USO should have their licenses pulled.

Not only fly over spotting by plane but herding Elk out of the canyon I hiked into opening morning. Plane came by me at bow range. Should have filed charges as I had the registration numbers and saw the same plane at the USO camp later but I thought that they had ruined one day and if I got caught up in filing charges it would ruin the whole hunt.

Haven't used any services other than a private guide to get tags, but I would say do it yourself and save your money while your waiting for a private land hunt. When it takes 14yrs to draw a tag you could have socked away enough for a good guided hunt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.