Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've seen that there have been a few write ups in the gun magazines about these, all of which have been 38-55's. The accuracy in these reviews was so-so, but pretty much in line with what a 200 yard cartridge needs to be useful. I've been wanting one of these since they where first introduced.

I'm going to buy one chambered in 30-30, anyone had any experience with these?

Because I think it's a interesting rifle, I have to have one. This seems like one of those rifles that should buy while you can, as there is nothing else for less than a 3K custom that you can get.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kciH
Because I think it's a interesting rifle, I have to have one. This seems like one of those rifles that should buy while you can, as there is nothing else for less than a 3K custom that you can get.

To each his own. It strikes me as more of a novelty item than a serious rifle, but the market will tell. It seems scaled more toward a .22 than a center fire like a .38-55, and there was a write up on a .22 version in the latest Rifle. Not particularly accurate for a Sharps.

You can get an excellent Sharps for less than $3K. Basic models of the Shiloh and C. Sharps can be had for not all that much more than the $1229 I saw quoted for the Little Sharps, and they are American made.

Keep in mind that this is a 135 y/o design. Experienced Sharps shooters know that the lever spring and firing pin are prone to breakage, and keep spares on hand. Will parts be available for the imported Little Sharps?

Things to consider.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a super hot nut for one of these in 38-55...........

right up 'til I read the specs and found the LOP at 12.5!

Argh!!!!!!!

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I handled one. The problem for me is that the triggers and lever and scaled down, too. I can barely get the tip of my finger on the trigger.

Bruce

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems I disremembered the LOP.

IT'S ACTUALLY 12" EVEN!!!!!!!!

Double AAARRRRGGHH!

SOS

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Concerning the length of pull.... There is a photo of the mini next to a full sized Sharps in the latest review at Gunblast.com. Both are butt down and side-by-side and it would appear to me that the LOP on the mini is at least as long as the standard version.

I think the possibility exists that someone might have given the stats measured to the rear trigger of the double sets. The LOP to the front trigger would then be closer to a normal length although I think the originals were a bit shorter than modern rifles.

I also am interested in this rifle and am torn between .45 Colt, .30-30 or the .357 Mag. Each has its virtues in this application. Maybe one of each? I think bore diameter would have a major impact on balance in the calibers listed in the article.

I seem to recall reading about one of the original makers of mini sharps where a 14" LOP was stated??? In any event hunting jackets or a slip on pad (if you can live with it) add to the LOP.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm having a hard time getting one of these, even though CD is just shipping then to several distributors. It's going to come down to my FFL's salesman drawing a number from a hat.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39

To each his own. It strikes me as more of a novelty item than a serious rifle, but the market will tell. It seems scaled more toward a .22 than a center fire like a .38-55, and there was a write up on a .22 version in the latest Rifle. Not particularly accurate for a Sharps.

You can get an excellent Sharps for less than $3K. Basic models of the Shiloh and C. Sharps can be had for not all that much more than the $1229 I saw quoted for the Little Sharps, and they are American made.

Keep in mind that this is a 135 y/o design. Experienced Sharps shooters know that the lever spring and firing pin are prone to breakage, and keep spares on hand. Will parts be available for the imported Little Sharps?

Things to consider.

Paul

I had to go back and look after your post. The one's made to order in Big Sandy, MT start at $3,250.

I realize you can get a full size for much less, but they don't appeal to me quite as much as a 26" 30-30 at about 6lbs.

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It is my understanding that the imports are made to specs of the rifle that was initially produced by the Little Sharps Rifle Mfg. in Montana. I'm not certain of that, but I recall that being the story. If that is the case it should not be too big a deal to get some spare parts for the rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had to go back and look after your post. The one's made to order in Big Sandy, MT start at $3,250.

I realize you can get a full size for much less, but they don't appeal to me quite as much as a 26" 30-30 at about 6lbs.

What the heck are you talking about? I have the 2009 Shiloh catalog in front of me, and a couple of basic models including the 1874 Business rifle are listed at $1800. There are several versions in the $1,900 - $2,022 range. The Quigley model with a bunch of bells and whistles is $3,298. Prices do not include federal excise tax. www.shilohrifle.com

Shiloh and C. Sharps are located in Big Timber, Montana, not Big Sandy.

Edited to add: Shiloh's catalog shows that the smallest calibers offered are .30-40 Krag and .38-55.

Paul

IC B3

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm talking about the company that makes the little sharps in Montana. Like I said in my last post, the full size rifles don't interst me all that much.

http://littlesharps.com/

I believe the ones that are imported by CD, made in Italy, are a direct copy of the ones that are custom made here in the US. Huge price difference versus the custom, hand made, rifles.

Last edited by kciH; 01/10/09.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've thought about one in .357 magnum and having it cut to .357 max. Brass tube that and it'll get the odd look. Be dran cool IMO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ah, now I get it. Sorry for the confusion. So is the same company both importing the Little Sharps and offering custom versions as well? Like I said, the review in Rifle listed the price of the import at $1229, IIRC

Paul

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
KBI or Charles Daly is importing one from Italy. The company in MT custom makes them and sells the CD import.

I believe I read an article at one point that said the import was essentially built to the specs of the one made in Montana.

I think the retail is $1229. I should be able to get it home for about $1050 IF I can get one.

Last edited by kciH; 01/10/09.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, the website says 12" LOP to the front trigger.
But, to be sure, I'll take a tape with me to Orlando on Thursday.

SOS

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot

SOS

Thanks,
would be good info to have.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not sure if anyone is confused at this point, but just to be clear. Both C Sharps (Montana Armory) and Shiloh are located in Big Timber, Montana. Lil' Sharps is located in Big Sandy, Montana about 2.5 hours north of Big Timber (just south of Havre). Ron and Duke of Lil' Sharps have invested years in an effort to find local manufacturing. After years of trying, they had the rifles manufactured by Dakota (prior to Don Allen's death). I believe Dakota still offers this version. I will leave it to Ron and Duke at this point but the ones I have handled are imported. Just for the record, Axtell Rifle in Sheridan, Montana also produces a '77 Sharps rifle.

Last edited by Toolelk; 01/11/09.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It seems to me that I saw a flier with a "trapper" model
in .30-40 Krag with a 16" barrel, might have been a Browning
Hi-Wall though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot

SOS

Thanks,
would be good info to have.

Well, I'm back, and with good news. Put a tape on 3 different Little Sharps and the LOP on each was 14 even to the front trigger, 13 1/4 to the rear.
Sweet little piece. Wish I hadn't played with them. Now I'll have to enough scratch for another "gun I must have."

Incidentally, whether they're sold by Daly or Taylor's or someone else whose name escapes me, Chiappa Arms, - they're all made by Chiappa.

SOS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also stopped by the booth, handled one, agree with Bruce, just too small and had such little heft....not my cup of tea I guess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.