Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Greetings gents,
Your opinion please, Kifaru sleeping bag system vs. Integral Designs North twin/Andromida vs. ???. I like synthetic bags for general purposes, reserving down for deep cold when I have a decent chance to keep it dry and need the warmth. I know Kute likes his ID bags, but he and others have mentioned Kifaru, and as I'm in the market, would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 01/11/09.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Gents, 101 views and no comments? I am not rich enough to have to purchase this twice. Your opinions please.
Regards, Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alligator,
Seems that most fellows on here that prefer synthetic bags go for either Wiggys, Montbell, North Face, etc.

I prefer Western Mountaineering, but I like down bags.
Sorry I cannot be of assistance.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. alligator;
It's good to hear from you again, I hope you and yours are well.

I have no experience with the bags you mentioned, but will whole heartedly agree with the limitations of a down bag when it gets wet. cry

When we used to backpack a bit, my wife decided on a synthetic bag based on my experiences with wet feathers. While it was more bulky, I think I would be inclined to go with another synthetic if I were to replace my old down bag.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with the products in question will pitch in.

Again, it's good to hear from you.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am sure that the Kifaru bags are well made and great stuff, but I can not help. My next purchase will be one of the Regulator bags, but for now my BA Farwell is my got to bag. Good luck and let us know if you buy one!

Good Shooting!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Alright, my rookie question for the day.....Does a down bag compress to a smaller package than a synthetic, assuming both bags are longs and rated to say 0 degrees, for example?

Brent

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
alligator,

I did extensive testing of the Kifaru Regulator bag during it's prototype period. It is an excellent system if and this is a big if you are going to use the modularity that the system offers. If you don't need the modularity then I'd go with the Kifaru Slick bag. You won't find a better synthetic bag.

I still prefer and mostly use down bags and to answer Brent's question, down will still be lighter and copress smaller than any synthetic for equal bag size and temperature rating.

Ed T

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Gents, Thanks for the responses.
My thought process is this, buy equipment that you will use regularly, due to its design and or features, but also from the prespective of contributing to your well being on one of those "cold wet" nights when you find yourself dependent on your equipment as well as your knowledge and skills.
Thanks again for the wisdom.
Regards, Jim

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Snugpak makes a very nice synthetic for the price. If you're a larger guy like me, they make an "Expanda" panel that zips in. The Softie 12 Osprey works well for me with the panel.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/snugpak_military_sleeping_bags/

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recently purchased the Slumberjack Hunter Optimus System from Cabelas. I haven't quite gotten to test it in the cold yet, but I may tonight out on the balcony of my apartment. It's two bags, a liner, and a bivy sack. It was $180 on sale when I bought it, but just recently went back to $219. I've crawled in them to see how comfortable they were and it's definitely warm all together.

Edit:
I should note that the system claims to run from 0�F (all four pieces) to 60�F (that's just sleeping in the liner). The liner is a moisture-wicking polyester blend and the inner and outer bags are 5�F and 25�F respectively, both filled with Thermolite.

If I do end up sleeping with it on the balcony, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by AlaskanFlyboy; 01/24/09.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My philosophy is as above, use your equipment frequently, to gain familiarity, and trust, and to sort out what don't work, but choose tools from the perspective of contingency management. I've come to believe that a tent/tarp, sleeping bag and foam pad, is more important then the famous knife/axe. If I can get and stay warm, sheltered, hydrated and fed, that goes a long way to augmenting my survival. My sleeping bags of choice are Wiggys. They work as advertised, and I've used mine outside the "manufacturers recommendations":)

Regards, Jim

Last edited by alligator; 08/27/16.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a 0 degree Kifaru sleeping bag. Used it on a caribou hunt. Its a decent bag. The problem i had was i bought the long bag. I'm 6'3" 215 pounds and the bag was still to big. Had to many cold spots when i slept. It was 14 degrees every night. Had to sleep with layers of clothes on to stay warm.

On a side note i just got a Kuiu sleeping bag. 15 degree,regular size. For my body size the bag is snug cant move around to much like my Kifaru long.
I didnt get extra long cause was afraid of cold spots like my Kifaru bag. The 15 degree Kuiu bag has more insulation than my 0 degree Kifaru bag. I have not used the Kuiu bag yet so cant give any reviews yet.

Hope this helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.