Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Exactly....... Spot on as usual!!!!!! [Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Swampman1
Still don't believe any of this.

What you "believe" doesn't matter at all.....the design is lousy.A broken or missing pin is completely foreseeable,in which case the locking lugs would not engage;nevermind that it is likely a cheap hunk of metal,likely to break or fall out.....I mean the lugs would not engage when the bolt handle was turned down!What a complete piece of junk.....

In addition, there was testimony the rifle would still fire without the lugs engaging,sort of reminiscent of the old Ross rifle,or the old two piece firing pin of the original Springfield.Bad design.

Even a drunken,incompetent stiff shouldn't have to suffer having his face blown off by a cheap design of that type.Mossberg will likely get what they deserve for putting crap like that on the market.

Did you read the court document outlining the testimony about what he had to do to get it to fire? This meth head could have made an anvil shoot!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BarryC

What you "believe" doesn't matter at all.....the design is lousy.A broken or missing pin is completely foreseeable,in which case the locking lugs would not engage;nevermind that it is likely a cheap hunk of metal,likely to break or fall out.....I mean the lugs would not engage when the bolt handle was turned down!What a complete piece of junk.....

In addition, there was testimony the rifle would still fire without the lugs engaging,sort of reminiscent of the old Ross rifle,or the old two piece firing pin of the original Springfield.Bad design.

Even a drunken,incompetent stiff shouldn't have to suffer having his face blown off by a cheap design of that type.Mossberg will likely get what they deserve for putting crap like that on the market.

Did you read the court document outlining the testimony about what he had to do to get it to fire? This meth head could have made an anvil shoot!

The design is BAD, the guy that I know DID NOTHING WRONG. The rifle is an accident looking for a place to happen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
everyone send the mossberg to me cheap and go buy your remington mine has 500 rounds through it and not a problem this is all bullshit

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BarryC

It doesn't matter at this stage of proceedings...A Motion for Summary Judgement is a procedural mechanism that allows the Court to "take away" the case from a jury because there are no material facts in dispute. The jury is the body that determines the facts in a case, not the Court.The Court merely found here that there are sufficient "facts" for the case to go to trial, therefore the MFSJ is (mostly) denied.

The Court is saying the root cause of the explosion appears to be a missing or defective pin(the experts seem to disagree which it was,presenting an issue of "material fact"),either of which situation would have prevented the lugs from engaging...whether the pin was missing, or broken,and what effect the actions of the Plaintiff had to do with this,is a question for a jury to decide,and presents an issue of fact at this stage of proceedings.

For purposes of a Motion for Summary Judgement,these are factual issues that must be determined by a jury(Trier of Facts),instead of by the Court(who applies the law)......all this decision says is that the case should go to trial(the jury).There is as yet no determination on the issue of liability resulting from this ruling.

All the stuff about the Plaintiff pounding on the bolt, tossing the rifle around, breaking it, and contributing to his own injury,is saved for trial later on.....however it may not matter in the end.....depends on how the facts (who the jury believes)squares out with the law on Product Liability.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hunter8mm
everyone send the mossberg to me cheap and go buy your remington mine has 500 rounds through it and not a problem this is all bullshit

Brilliant...... cry

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hunter8mm

Consider your self lucky, the design and execution is flawed

Last edited by jwp475; 02/18/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing I could find in a Google search is that Mossberg has a suit going with Timmey Triggers over some patent infringements. I thing this whole thread is BS. I knew a fellow that would dam near blow up a rifle at least once a year with his stupid hand loads. I been shooting rifles since I was 6 years old, 51 years now and never had I ever had any manner of problems, yea some needed a bedding job, I had one that had a barrel with a crooked chamber, nothing to really write to mom about. Its the piss poor language of the original poster that should be suspect. We all bit and the troll is laughing his or hers back side off.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't have time to read the whole thread...I was commenting on the Court's ruling; don't really care about anything else... smile

I have had few problems with blowing up rifles but there are undoubtedly a lot of idots out there. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won one of these rifles at an FNRA dinner. I came upon this thread years ago and it helped me decide I didn't need the rifle - my umpeenth .30-'06 anyway. I traded it at Cabela's for one of the Remington/Zastava .22s.

I really wouldn't have been afraid of shooting the rifle - I'm not stupid enough to assemble the rifle without the bolt head pin and probably not ham-handed enough to break the pin.

But, accepting the allegations at face value - I was troubled to think that they short-circuited Savage's design which would prevent firing if the bolt head was not in locked position. I wonder of that is true? Has anyone of the us posting on these nine pages ever disassembled one of the ATR bolts and confirmed that? I wish I had, but I was keeping it all pretty and new-looking as trading material.

It's a simple matter to have an oblong cross-section to the firing pin and an oblong passage in the bolt head. Mauser figured this out several lifetimes ago and I think that's how Savage's design is done, if I remember correctly. What about the ATR?

Last edited by GunReader; 02/19/12.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
IC B3

B
B
I purchased one in 30-06 about 6 years ago in alaska. have never had a problem with it and for the money its pretty damn accurate.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Attorney_Holt
A total of 3 men have suffered extensive injury from the Mossberg 100 ATR (which is a bolt action rifle). The assembly pin (sometimes referred to as the bolt head pin or retaining pin) is breaking. The gun will then fire when the locking lugs are not locked causing the gun to blow a user's face off. This happened to two of the men --and both were airlifted to a local trauma center, and the third has injuries to his hand. I am set for trial in April in Tampa Florida. Any information/input would be welcomed. Over the last two years I have learned alot but am always trying to understand all this a little better.

This is a lie...

You are the one that is lying, because one of them is the son of a man that I went to school with

jwp475,
Did your friends son take this incident to court and if so what was the judgement?
Does anybody know if Mossberg has changed their bolt design to address this problem?
Reason I ask a friend is/was considering buying a Mossberg MVP in .223..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
If true, a bolt flying back into your face is a real joke...well worth "saving" Mossberg from attack.... I can't help but wonder about the fact that we rail against a manufacturer because a rifle won't shoot a 1/2" group; but if they peddle a defective design that kills or maims,.....well,that's OK(?)Pretty funny... smirk

I'm with friend Bob on this one.....100% Concur.

Lawyers are hated until one is needed. (I'm not one, no ax to grind either way).

To whom does this carnage belong? Do the affected persons just suck it up? What if they don't have personal insurance? I don't like companies being "gutted", especially gun companies. But there are issues here, serious issues that just won't "go away".

What if it was you or a loved one? And what if Mossberg is at fault? Do they get a free pass and you or your loved one just take a hike?

These questions need to be answered and litigation is the only way to find out what's really going on and determine what's equitable.

And, I'm as pro gun as anyone here. Saved up money as a teenager to become a 50 year NRA Life member, bumped up to Benefactor a few years ago.

IMHO,

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwp475

Stick your head in the sand, the young man that I know needed reconstructive face surgery.

Ignore Swampy. He's dumber than dirt and believes that all gun problems are caused by the user, all of whom are somehow inferior to himself.

He has no credibility on the Fire. Check around.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what happened after all?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by temmi
So what happened after all?

Don't think it's over quite yet.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 740 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.