Page 13 of 22 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#2713206 - 01/09/09 11:48 AM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: jwp475]
Calvin Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: AK
What a horror! Pulling the trigger on a buck and having the bolt come back into your face is a nightmare that most of us don't even imagine. If Mossberg is putting out bad products, they need to be held accountable. Let a jury decide.

CI16728
#2713389 - 01/09/09 12:54 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: jwp475]
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: jwp475

Year before last the son of a man that I went to school with had a Moosberg bolt hit him in the face when he fired it at a Deer with factory loads (not reloads, the was/is not a reloader). The bolt lugs are pinned to the bolt body and the pin broke when the bolt closed and the lugs did not fully close. When he fired the rifle the lugs opend and the bolt him in the face. He survived and had to have reconsructive surgery. The doctor that performed the surgery said that he was the second victim that he had performed the exact surgery on another patient caused by another Mossberg.

IMHO the Mossberg rifle is a danger and I would not own or shoot one.

The Marlin XL7 bolt action rifle that I looked at has a pin that holds the locking lug section to the bolt body. It may be similar to the Mossberg?

"Up front, the bolt is very similar to the Savage Model 110. The bolt head is a separate piece that is pinned to the bolt body."

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_Marlinxl7_200804/index1.html

#2713558 - 01/09/09 02:05 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: Savage_99]
bcp Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SW WA
One article or post said the Marlin bolt head had a slot and key so it would still turn if the pin was out. I'll see if I can find it again.

Bruce

-------------------------------
Here's one:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?topic=29731.5;wap2

Here is why you won't have a bolt failure with the Marlin. I got to looking at the Marlin bolt to see how it could fail, and I don't see how it could. Mossberg, Savage and Marlin all utilize a bolt head that is pinned to the bolt body. Marlin however did design a safety feature into that bolt to insure that the bolt head will always turn with the bolt body in the event of a retaining pin failure.

The Marlin bolt head has a key slot that mates with a detent in the bolt body. Even in the unusual event that a retaining pin breaks, that bolt head will turn with the bolt and safely lock into the locking recesses in the receiver.

So I think you can be comfortable that you will not see a bolt failure in the XL-7

Edited by bcp (01/09/09 02:26 PM)

#2713598 - 01/09/09 02:22 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: ruraldoc]
Ivan Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: San Diego, CA
 Originally Posted By: ruraldoc

My Brother in Law just bought one of the damned things,he did not consult me first.

Sure am glad I consulted you about the Mossberg rifles so many months ago, and went with the Savage instead.

#2713796 - 01/09/09 03:39 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: Ivan]
sdgunslinger Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Gary , SD USA
Wonder if the Savage keys into the bolt body similar to the Marlin ? Anyone here ever disassemble a Savage bolt ?

#2714871 - 01/09/09 09:42 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: sdgunslinger]
444afic Offline

Loc: Southern CO
I found the following about Savage bolts on the web (so take it with a grain of salt):

"In a few early production rifles there were several reports of the "bolt head retaining pin" that holds the bolt head to the bolt body cracking under heavy usage . This would cause a major stoppage. This was apparently a fluke as there have been no further reports of this problem and I believe that bolt pin breakage is no longer an issue and that there is no need to be concerned.

However, when notified of these incidents Savage Arms, to their great credit (and something other firearms manufacturers could learn from), immediately investigated the bolt head pin problem. While they were unable to duplicate the failure after some exhaustive testing they did come up with a way to beef up this part of the their scout rifle by using their "magnum" bolt head assembly.

The Savage Arms' bolt assembly incorporates a floating bolt head to assure full bearing on both locking lugs. To achieve this, a bolt head retaining pin is used as a "pivot" point. The firing pin passes through a hole in the retaining pin and is ultimately guided/supported by the bolt head. To increase the cross-sectional mass of the bolt head retaining pin in their magnum assemblies, the diameter of the firing pin hole through the pin was reduced."

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever-Michael Medved

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

#2717203 - 01/10/09 08:13 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: 444afic]
AggieDog Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Northern California
Also to Savage's credit, I have a Model 200 Stevens in 7mm-08 that would not properly eject the expended cases. Called Savage,and they sent at no charge to me a beefier spring with instructions on how to install it into the bolt. End of problem.

However, I am still shooting my Mossberg 22 rifle, and Mossberg shotgun. We'll let the jury decide the issue. I smell something really fishy personally.

#2719963 - 01/11/09 08:07 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: Sitka deer]
sactoller Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Weatherford, TX
 Originally Posted By: Sitka deer
For a number of reasons I do not consider Mossberg a company worth protecting. I refuse to have anything to do with them and will not order them for folks under any circumstances. Unresponsive and reckless would be two fair descriptions of their business policy...

+1

#2720104 - 01/11/09 08:55 PM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: 444afic]
drducati Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Fla
 Originally Posted By: 444afic
I found the following about Savage bolts on the web (so take it with a grain of salt):
The Savage Arms' bolt assembly incorporates a floating bolt head to assure full bearing on both locking lugs. To achieve this, a bolt head retaining pin is used as a "pivot" point. The firing pin passes through a hole in the retaining pin and is ultimately guided/supported by the bolt head. To increase the cross-sectional mass of the bolt head retaining pin in their magnum assemblies, the diameter of the firing pin hole through the pin was reduced."

I don't know how my Savage got the lugs it did then. I thought I would check them for engagement and coated them with Dykem. There was about 25% engagement on one and 40% on the other. So much for full bearing.
That being said the rifle would shoot .35" five shot groups from a pencil thin barrel. It was a 22-250 and my cousin has it 15 years later. He shoots 2-3 deer a week with it year in and year out. Did have a funny trigger though. It was LIGHT.

#2720684 - 01/12/09 07:35 AM Re: Injury from Mossberg 100 ATR--3 men hurt thus far [Re: Calif. Hunter]
rust612000 Offline

is there an actual news article we can read bout these incidents? i havent seen any yet.

Page 13 of 22 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
LEICA BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!  SAVE BIG ON ALL GEOVIDS UNTIL DECEMBER 1!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
635 registered (1899sav, 10gaugemag, 175rltw, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 16penny, 71 invisible), 1534 Guests and 335 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51161 Members
72 Forums
648556 Topics
9320207 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.