Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
An RCM case should as well. Anything with '06 capacity should do it, albeit not with large case/low pressures of the 450/400, hence our use of slow (for bore/case size) powders in the Whelen.

Yes, the Whelen needs necked up to 416, re-sized and fireformed. The beauty is that 41 cal. pistol bullets do this economically.

Close to 400 rounds already, no headspace problems. We even tried making it fail by firing with straight cylindrical cases. Not even a hitch. It is a highly unsung round.

3sixbits, Have you any sources that have had headspace issues? I have heard this too but have never even had any trouble whatsoever, nor have I heard of documentated cases.

Ken Howell here has stated that it was never an issue and he himself developed a rifle cartridge that headspaced off of the mouth.

Most 400 Whelen dies are designed in such fashion that the shoulder cannot be pushed back.

This is a long read on the history of the ctg in question and I hope you have both the time and inclination to read it. It is well written by Alaska's own,MICHAEL PETROV the link is HERE

I feel that Michael has really covered the topic quite well. No I do not think Ken Howell is wrong, I have at least three of his design reamers in the drawer. Ken and I have had this conversation before, often before he left Prescott. My objection is not with any of this head space issues at all. I just need to chamber this barrel to a rifle that has a strong chance of selling, I don't need or really care for any rifle that I don't already own. As stated above it is really hard to sell a wildcatted rifle, I don't care what it is, they are just tough to sell. The .416 Ruger is new, it has factory ammo, brass, factory non-custom dies, that I don't have to buy and try to pedal the rifle. That means the rifle will sell. I have a good idea what sells and what does not sale at these gun shows here. Even the cheapest B&C stock and a SS barrel with a brake and big caliber is going to sell with CRF.

For me this whole thing stared with me ordering to light of a barrel contour, and a huge number of actions that will fit this project and maybe, just maybe, let me cash out on this thing?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
3sixbits,

Thank you very much for that info. I will take the time and read it.
Just glancing through Mr. Petrov seems to agree.

I apologize for hijacking the thread as I was responding to Ryan eek.

In your situation I believe others have pointed you in a good direction.

I hope your 416 turns out on the cabbage! smile

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Very interesting and well-written blurb. Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HawkI
Since you have those bullets, a 400 Whelen would do the same

Much handier than a CZ550 416.

this old Watson Brothers weighs ten pounds but she handles like a shotgun:

[Linked Image]

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'll say. That is a very fine rifle! And a dandy landscape.

I have a double shotgun, but confess a double rifle is out of my league! (Not for lack of want, mind you).

Certainly those long 450/400 hulls are well mated without a troublesome action length.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those big old panatellas never fail to impress at the range.

Pretty much always wins the "mine is bigger than yours" contest wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,584
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.