They look horrible. Literally.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Lansend
Originally Posted by NathanL
I think Steyr ran into problems for a short while folling the start of the Iraq war. I think for a short period they were banned from importation to the US because they were selling to Iran. I could be wrong but I want to say that's what I had read.
That agrees with my recollection. The sales to Iran and use of the arms against U.S troops were never proved, but the controversy hurt Steyr's sales here. And I'm speculating that situation might have been part of WM's decision to drop Steyr.

Amazing how steyr got accused of something and people were ready to throw them to the wolves. I didnt see any GE products burning on the sidewalks but its common knowledge that GE has been in bed w/ iran.
New York's pension funds own nearly $1 billion worth of stock in these Halliburton, Conoco-Phillips and General Electric, which have operations in Iran and Syria.
NBC Universal is part of the GE empire, does anyone boycott NBC?

Coca-Cola markets its products in both Iran and Sudan, skirting U.S. sanctions policies.
How many of those AK's are made by steyr?

steyrs problems have always been one of distribution and lack of knowledge when it comes to the maerican market.

they have always, since stoger, used only small distributors that couldnt afford to pay for and stock enough rifles to be able to profit. Until steyr gets in bed w/ a big house the way tikka and sako have they will keep hitting the same wall.
As well how many ads in gun mags have you ever seen for steyr rifles?
Americans buy what they see advertised. rifle companies like kimber pay millions of dollars every year to buy the back full page of G&A. Those dollars are spent by steyr to produce quality rifles.
Steyrs are not expensive. they are less than Synthetic Sako 75 85's. They are cheaper than Montanas. those of us who have owned, shot and hunted with them rarely own just one.
the safety is second to none. the accuracy is amazing and the stock, while unconventional, may be the best recoil reducing design ever.
owners of the 7 pound 376 steyr will attest to that.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
UGLY????
[Linked Image]

Without a doubt. A humped comb does nothing for me. Let alone the chunks taken out of the stock for the DM. Nice figure in the wood though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

steyrs problems have always been one of distribution and lack of knowledge when it comes to the maerican market.

they have always, since stoger, used only small distributors that couldnt afford to pay for and stock enough rifles to be able to profit. Until steyr gets in bed w/ a big house the way tikka and sako have they will keep hitting the same wall.
As well how many ads in gun mags have you ever seen for steyr rifles?
Americans buy what they see advertised. rifle companies like kimber pay millions of dollars every year to buy the back full page of G&A. Those dollars are spent by steyr to produce quality rifles.
Steyrs are not expensive. they are less than Synthetic Sako 75 85's. They are cheaper than Montanas. those of us who have owned, shot and hunted with them rarely own just one.
the safety is second to none. the accuracy is amazing and the stock, while unconventional, may be the best recoil reducing design ever.

Agree 100%. I think a NEW SBS Prohunter is close to $1000.00 but MSRP is $1200.00. However on Gunbroker you can get used ones cheaper.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

While I am a fan of Steyr's and own a few I'm going to have to disagree with you on these two points here.
I like the location of the safety but it's not the best safety out there, it doesn't block the firing pin in all modes. It's possible to adjust the trigger light enough to where the gun will go off when dropped on it's butt while on safety. That won't happen on a M-70 safety because the safety isn't on the trigger it's on the firing pin.

The Stery stocks while functional are NOT best at reducing recoil. I remember that this was the first thing Jon Sundra commented on when he reviewed the 376 Pro-Hunter Stery, commenting that the stock ACCENTUATED the recoil. If nothing else the Recoil pads are not the best and do little to absorb and spread out the recoil. And yes I do own a 376 and have other 375 rifles to compare it too.

Steyr's are accurate well thought out rifles. I particularly am fond of the Scouts and hunt with one often (with a regular scope though). Wouldn't mind a few more, but I do know of the the problems with the safety's and stocks......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There's a Steyr-Daimler 22-250 heavy barrel with set triggers at a local gun shop, looks like a nice rifle, dont know squat about this one though, forgot what scope is mounted on it, anyone know anything about this model, asking price is 1100.00,

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i guess it comes down to what works for you. Some people hate anchovies and have never tried them either.
ugly, yep. some steyrs are.
pricey? yeah, if your dumb enough to pay retail for a new steyr. it would be like paying retail for a new anvil.
do they shoot?
see for yourself.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WTM45
I'm more than happy with my Model M Professional in .270W. Never owned a more accurate rifle. Doubt I ever will.

My Mannlicher Schoenauer 1956 MC in .30-06 is a true work of art that also performs very well for a 20" tube and full wood.

I have the same MIII 270 you have and it is a super accurate rifle. I love the twisted barrel, rotary mag, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearstalker
They look horrible. Literally.

As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

And no I don't own one.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.