Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What a horror! Pulling the trigger on a buck and having the bolt come back into your face is a nightmare that most of us don't even imagine. If Mossberg is putting out bad products, they need to be held accountable. Let a jury decide.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

Year before last the son of a man that I went to school with had a Moosberg bolt hit him in the face when he fired it at a Deer with factory loads (not reloads, the was/is not a reloader). The bolt lugs are pinned to the bolt body and the pin broke when the bolt closed and the lugs did not fully close. When he fired the rifle the lugs opend and the bolt him in the face. He survived and had to have reconsructive surgery. The doctor that performed the surgery said that he was the second victim that he had performed the exact surgery on another patient caused by another Mossberg.

IMHO the Mossberg rifle is a danger and I would not own or shoot one.

The Marlin XL7 bolt action rifle that I looked at has a pin that holds the locking lug section to the bolt body. It may be similar to the Mossberg?

"Up front, the bolt is very similar to the Savage Model 110. The bolt head is a separate piece that is pinned to the bolt body."

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_Marlinxl7_200804/index1.html

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One article or post said the Marlin bolt head had a slot and key so it would still turn if the pin was out. I'll see if I can find it again.

Bruce

-------------------------------
Here's one:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?topic=29731.5;wap2

Here is why you won't have a bolt failure with the Marlin. I got to looking at the Marlin bolt to see how it could fail, and I don't see how it could. Mossberg, Savage and Marlin all utilize a bolt head that is pinned to the bolt body. Marlin however did design a safety feature into that bolt to insure that the bolt head will always turn with the bolt body in the event of a retaining pin failure.

The Marlin bolt head has a key slot that mates with a detent in the bolt body. Even in the unusual event that a retaining pin breaks, that bolt head will turn with the bolt and safely lock into the locking recesses in the receiver.

So I think you can be comfortable that you will not see a bolt failure in the XL-7

Last edited by bcp; 01/09/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

My Brother in Law just bought one of the damned things,he did not consult me first.

Sure am glad I consulted you about the Mossberg rifles so many months ago, and went with the Savage instead.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wonder if the Savage keys into the bolt body similar to the Marlin ? Anyone here ever disassemble a Savage bolt ?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I found the following about Savage bolts on the web (so take it with a grain of salt):

"In a few early production rifles there were several reports of the "bolt head retaining pin" that holds the bolt head to the bolt body cracking under heavy usage . This would cause a major stoppage. This was apparently a fluke as there have been no further reports of this problem and I believe that bolt pin breakage is no longer an issue and that there is no need to be concerned.

However, when notified of these incidents Savage Arms, to their great credit (and something other firearms manufacturers could learn from), immediately investigated the bolt head pin problem. While they were unable to duplicate the failure after some exhaustive testing they did come up with a way to beef up this part of the their scout rifle by using their "magnum" bolt head assembly.

The Savage Arms' bolt assembly incorporates a floating bolt head to assure full bearing on both locking lugs. To achieve this, a bolt head retaining pin is used as a "pivot" point. The firing pin passes through a hole in the retaining pin and is ultimately guided/supported by the bolt head. To increase the cross-sectional mass of the bolt head retaining pin in their magnum assemblies, the diameter of the firing pin hole through the pin was reduced."

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also to Savage's credit, I have a Model 200 Stevens in 7mm-08 that would not properly eject the expended cases. Called Savage,and they sent at no charge to me a beefier spring with instructions on how to install it into the bolt. End of problem.

However, I am still shooting my Mossberg 22 rifle, and Mossberg shotgun. We'll let the jury decide the issue. I smell something really fishy personally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For a number of reasons I do not consider Mossberg a company worth protecting. I refuse to have anything to do with them and will not order them for folks under any circumstances. Unresponsive and reckless would be two fair descriptions of their business policy...

+1

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 444afic
I found the following about Savage bolts on the web (so take it with a grain of salt):
The Savage Arms' bolt assembly incorporates a floating bolt head to assure full bearing on both locking lugs. To achieve this, a bolt head retaining pin is used as a "pivot" point. The firing pin passes through a hole in the retaining pin and is ultimately guided/supported by the bolt head. To increase the cross-sectional mass of the bolt head retaining pin in their magnum assemblies, the diameter of the firing pin hole through the pin was reduced."

I don't know how my Savage got the lugs it did then. I thought I would check them for engagement and coated them with Dykem. There was about 25% engagement on one and 40% on the other. So much for full bearing.
That being said the rifle would shoot .35" five shot groups from a pencil thin barrel. It was a 22-250 and my cousin has it 15 years later. He shoots 2-3 deer a week with it year in and year out. Did have a funny trigger though. It was LIGHT.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
R
R
is there an actual news article we can read bout these incidents? i havent seen any yet.

IC B3

A
OP Offline
A
if you search on google for Mossberg Injury Idaho--you will find one of them--my clients hit the press back in 2006 when he was injured and i have a copy of the article but probably cant be found on the internet
the 3 cases are all pending in court
one in the middle district of Florida, one in Idaho, and one in Loisiana

A
OP Offline
A
to AGGIE dog--i'm not saying there is a problem with the Mossberg shot gun or the 22--just the 100 ATR bolt action rifle
You keep "smelling something fishy" because you were not airlifted to the trauma center when your 9 day old 100 ATR exploded blowing your face off. I didnt believe in the case at first, but now that 2 other people were injured with the same rifle in the same way--things start to look (or smell) alot different.

A
OP Offline
A
to AGGIE dog--i'm not saying there is a problem with the Mossberg shot gun or the 22--just the 100 ATR bolt action rifle
You keep "smelling something fishy" because you were not airlifted to the trauma center when your 9 day old 100 ATR exploded blowing your face off. I didnt believe in the case at first, but now that 2 other people were injured with the same rifle in the same way--things start to look (or smell) alot different.

A
OP Offline
A

looks like the Savage has been around for 50 years, and without significant problems. I still have difficulty understanding the design difference between the Savage and the Mossberg. I admit to my shortcomings--and just seeking input. My experts did a modification that took a matter of hours to design and install--so that the Mossberg will not fire out of battery.

I print and re-read your memo--but dont really understand. The Mossberg assembly pin has a hole through it for the firing pin--what is the difference you are trying to explain to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah Art, the new trigger was for no reason, right? Mike Walker's sworn and documented testimony wasn't real. The faulty M700 trigger design and FOSR's well documented both inside the Rem factory and by consumers isn't real. Your willful ignorance and double standard is fascinating.

The new ownership of Remington inherited a multi-million dollar slush fund because the previous ownership decided paying lawsuits was easier than fixing the trigger design... talk about not giving a chit about the consumer. At least the current ownership stepped up and finally did the right thing.

I'd actually own a Remington again... at least Mossberg, when it found the problem issued a recall. Remington did no such thing.

You can't recognize the difference between a gun that has a part failure and fires accidentally, shooting somebody that it never should have been pointed at in the first place, and one that blows up in the shooter's face when fired, due to no neglect of safety rules on the part of the shooter? Then you take somebody who can distinguish between the two, to task? You're a real piece of work Brad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cole
Hard to take him serious when he starts using trekking experience in Nepal as a substitute for hunting experience... Which is obviously pretty shallow. He did not even get the part about a Mossberg recall right... wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Attorney_Holt

Have you spoken with the man in Columbia, La that this very same thing happened to last year? with the same rifle also.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Suffice to say Art, I'm not impressed with the boy's reasoning ability on this and other threads. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Idaho man you are referencing for people hear bought the rifle in Dec of 2005, and while Elk hunting in oct of 2006, and "while handing the rifle to his son" the rifle "misfired" and caused permanent injury to his hand. Again, I am not defending Mossberg, but Im not going to defend this hunter either. Why? Because there are too many facts we havent been told yet. For starters, I'd like some statistics on how many people have been injured from so called accidents with other rifles. I doubt the answer is zero. There are far too many things that may have caused this , not excluding the hunter perhaps being untruthful in his care, and use of this weapon. Did he ever take it apart to clean it? He had it a year, and I doubt that was the first time he used the rifle. If it was, some kind of hunter he is. Let's just get to the facts and then this story will have more legs. And Attorny Holt, yes I still smell something fishy when a rifle Misfires while handing it to someone else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dude, you need to learn how to hit the "reply" button so people know who you are talking to. For instance, I didn't reference any hunter in Idaho.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.