Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcwhit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a FNH PBR that all scopes that I have mounted are near bottomed out on windage ajustment, point of impact LEFT adjustment.I presently have a leupold Mark 2 scope on the rifle with about 3 moa adjustment remaining this is the best that I can achieve.
Will the burris signature ring help on a windage problem? I am thinking that the C/L of the bore is off to the right from line of sight with the scope centered. what would be the best way to correct this?
Thanks for the help,
Billy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes the Burris rings will work. The eccentric offsets are available in .05, .10, and .20. You can obtain from .05 to .40 offset by using some combination of the offset inserts. IIRC, your rifle uses Weaver type rings? The 1" signature rings are made from 30mm rings, so the low is closer to med. height.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first thing I would do would be to see if there is a reason the rifle and scope are out of sync. It could very well be that the scopes bases are a little out of whack with the axis of the rifle, however, before advising a customer to spend money to correct something that isn't necessarily broke, I would look to see if something else wasn't amiss. There are several things that can cause a gun to shoot off axis.

Barrel alignment, forearm pressure, bedding problem, crown. Any of these can cause the problems you are experiencing. I would look at these areas first for the problem before spending money on new rings and bases.

For instance, I would first make sure the guard screws were tight. Then, I would place the gun up side down in a gun cradle, wrapping my left hand around the forearm and barrel while loosening the front guard screw with my right hand. What I would be doing is feeling to see if there is any movement between the barrel and the stock. Movement of any kind would indicate a bedding problem. This is usually the first thing I do, next to performing a quick eyeball exam and finger wave, to begin isolating individual components when trouble shooting accuracy issues. The next step would be addressing barrel/receiver alignment issues and so forth. Good luck!

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
bcwhit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey Guys Thanks,
Malm,
The rifle seems to be shooting good for a factory rifle I have managed to shoot several 1.5 " 300 meter groups. The main use for this rifle will be hunting not to exceed 600 yards. I would just like to know that i am close to the centered with the scope reticule. I have checked the main things stock, ring,base screws I have inspeced the crown under magnification.the stock is a houge with aluminium beding block.

Thanks,
Billy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While aluminum bedding blocks are pretty good, they are not always level or square. I've had to scrape quite a number of these aluminum bedded stocks in order to get a receiver to sit true and level. Once they are level and the center of the action is in line with the center of the stock, they are hard to beat.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
After reading all the above posts several times to try to get a firm grip on this issue my observations are these:

The rifle, as-is, provides 1.5" groups at 300 meters! This is something not to take too lightly, all things considered. I.e., it ain't broke so I'd be awful careful about trying to 'fix' it..

Finding any factory rifle that gives that kind of accuracy out of the box is a rare event indeed, although we don't know what the chambering is to date.. Before I would even touch that rifle I would have to advise the customer that it's quite possible any bedding change, stock modification, yada yada yada, could possibly result in a slight LOSS of accuracy. 'Possibly' is the operative word there.. Obviously, it's 'possible' it might actually improve, but 1.5 @ 300M is VERY GOOD and I'd be loathe to mess with it much..

Personally, I'd give first consideration to the Burris rings with offsets and leave the rest alone unless the owner wants to take some chances..

JMHO...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Malm

forearm pressure, bedding problem, crown.
guard screws were tight.

Malm is the wize.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The mention of the 1.5" group at 300 meters came into the discussion late. Even at that, the fact that a problem exists doesn't change. Checking and correcting any potential alignment problems from the muzzle to the cocking piece WILL, if done correctly, improve performance and repeatability. That's my experience anyway.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would make sure stuff is tight and then go with the signature rings. If your crown is bad, it probably wouldn't be repeatable enough to shoot like it is.

The Signature rings are a quick dirty fix for stuff like this. You can also get some other rings with windage adjustments. I have three or four styles that can including B-square, Millet, Redfield style twist-ins (perish the thought) and another one I can't identify. Windage is the easier probably to fix with rings.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now for my 2 cents worth. I use the Burris rings on all my rifles and love them, got them on everything from a 7MM RUM to 22's with nary a problem. The offsets will work wonders. I had to do this recently on one of my rifles and knew it wasn't the scope or rings. I bought a new encore and put on a name brand supposedly "one of the best" steel bases to mount the scope. After having to use all kinds of the offsets to make scope work out I bought an aluminum base and replaced the steel base and promptly had to remove all the offsets and everything worked out great. I do think the Burris rings are the way to go but I might go the extra mile and try a new base, also.

I would like to also add that I don't like the windage adjustable rings because they have to put your scope in a bind. The Burris rings will self align in the rings and never mark or dent you scope and I've never had a set slip on anything.

Last edited by Enios; 01/20/09.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.