24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Ok, I need some help with portions. This coming Saturday, I am to cook grits for 50 hungry people.
How much material do I need?

Sam......

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50 packets of instant grits and 25 cups of water. laugh laugh

Sorry I couldn't resist. I haven't made grits since 1972 so pay me no mind.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8 cups of grits to 32 cups of water and the other accoutrements as you wish says All Recipe's catering calculator for 50 people. I use it a lot and it's pretty good. It seems obvious it's 4 to 1 with the liquid so even 10 cups of grits to 40 cups water would be reasonable, I'd think.

If you want cheesy grits, they add 8 cups of shredded cheddar too!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jesus H Christ...
mad
You are in Florida and getting advice on grits from a bunch of Yankee westerners...
#1 do you want to cook them yellow grits or white grits?
#2 Are the grits going to be a side dish or part of the main course (ie shrimp and grits ect?)
here... make these at home and see how many people it will feed then translate that to you need. AND remember some people wont eat them on principal but after tasting these many people will be going back for seconds.
I get my fancy white grits ( for shrimp and grits and salted ham ect)from Subers in Greer SC and yellow speckled from Habershams/ Nora's in Helen GA.
This recipie came from Lees in Charleston.

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 cup stone-ground grits
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Pour the milk and water into a 2-quart saucepan, cover, and turn the heat to medium-high. When the milk mixture boils (about 5 minutes), uncover the pot, add the grits and salt, and reduce the heat to medium. Stir constantly until the grits are the consistency of thick soup and release a fragrant sweet-corn perfume, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, for about 20 minutes, until the grits thicken and fall lazily from the end of the spoon. Cook about 15 minutes more, stirring constantly to prevent the grits from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

2. When the grits are creamy and fluffy and soft, turn off the heat, add the pepper and butter, and stir to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ringworm; 01/07/09.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
Jesus H Christ...
mad
You are in Florida and getting advice on grits from a bunch of Yankee westerners...

LOL I was waiting for that hammer to drop.
Putting a photo of shrimp n grits up before B'fast just aint right! cry grin

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you think RI is in the West, well I don't know if he should be listening to you either! Mannlicher knows what he's doing. I just added I've catered for up to 250 people using the All Recipes catering calculator and it's been very very close.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rob p
Mannlicher knows what he's doing.

Yup, I was waiting for the punch line from Sam. smile

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
While I have prepared grits for many many years, I have mostly cooked them for family.
There is so much knowledge here, that a fellow would be silly not to tap the data base from time to time when there is a question. laugh

Thanks guys.

My guess was 7 cups grits to 30 cups water, so I'll fine tune from there.

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would just go with the instant/freeze-dried, reconstituted, microwave grits availabe at the corner party store...LOL!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
sorry, i know there are some yankees that have skillz...
I come from an area that has a 30 day jail sentence for putting a slotted spoon in the pinto beans.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
The event was a three day camp out and a Meet and Greet for folks on another forum. We set up camp in the Ocala National Forest on Fore Lake. Beautiful spot.
We had 65 folks in attendance, and the regular group of old grumpy guys did the breakfasts both mornings.
Saturday morning, grits were on the menu. I would up using two gallons of water and 12 cups of grits. I started getting the water hot on my propane stove, but moved it all down to the huge campfire to get them really boiling.
Total time was just under 25 min, and the grits were, as they say, 'to die for'. Perfectly seasoned, creamy and oh so good.
Thanks guys, for your help. I, along with another 64 people, sure appreciated it. smile

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jesus H Christ...
mad
#1 do you want to cook them yellow grits or white grits?
#2 Are the grits going to be a side dish or part of the main course (ie shrimp and grits ect?)
here... make these at home and see how many people it will feed then translate that to you need. AND remember some people wont eat them on principal but after tasting these many people will be going back for seconds.
I get my fancy white grits ( for shrimp and grits and salted ham ect)from Subers in Greer SC and yellow speckled from Habershams/ Nora's in Helen GA.
This recipie came from Lees in Charleston.

2 cups whole milk
2 cups water
1 cup stone-ground grits
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Pour the milk and water into a 2-quart saucepan, cover, and turn the heat to medium-high. When the milk mixture boils (about 5 minutes), uncover the pot, add the grits and salt, and reduce the heat to medium. Stir constantly until the grits are the consistency of thick soup and release a fragrant sweet-corn perfume, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, for about 20 minutes, until the grits thicken and fall lazily from the end of the spoon. Cook about 15 minutes more, stirring constantly to prevent the grits from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

2. When the grits are creamy and fluffy and soft, turn off the heat, add the pepper and butter, and stir to incorporate. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't mind having the recipe for the shrimp that gave their lives to adorn them grits...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
2/3 pound shrimp, 26-35 ct.
2 tablespoons butter
4 ounces country ham, rinced in cold water and julienned
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
Pinch of Cajun spice, or cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 cup fresh tomato, seeded and diced
4 tablespoons green onion, tops only, chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock or water

Method for the topping:

1. While the grits are cooking, peel and devein the shrimp. If desired, swish the shrimp in a bowl of cool, salted water to remove any impurities. Repeat. Finish with a cool water rinse, drain and set aside.
2. When the grits are ready, prepare the topping. In a large skillet, saut� the shrimp in a tablespoon of butter over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, saut� the country ham for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cayenne, if using, and saut� 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and green onions and saut� 30 seconds.
5. Return the shrimp to the skillet, add water or chicken broth and simmer briefly. Swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
6. To serve, spoon four equal portions of the grits into four bowls. Place 5 or 6 shrimp on top of each portion of grits and spoon on equal parts of the topping, including some of the liquid. Serve at once.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
THANKS!

(P.S. What took ya so long...? Just kidding...LOL)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sorry, i know there are some yankees that have skillz...
I come from an area that has a 30 day jail sentence for putting a slotted spoon in the pinto beans.

What's a slotted spoon?
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you give those to some one on a diet? grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
here in the south the only reason we make pinto's is to have some juice to put over out cornbread.
a slotted spoon doesnt work.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.