Print Thread
Hop To
W
wil Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I recently bought a very nice Sako L461 Vixen in .222 Remington and have begun to think about putting it in a lightweight synthetic stock. I've looked at several websites and am not clear who puts out a product precisely for it. They might list some of the larger Sako actions, but not the 'petite' one. They might list 'mini-mauser', would this come close with some additional inletting? If a McMillan, which version (compact?) might be best? Any suggestions for a relatively light-weight stock which doesn't dwarf the small action? Any help is appreciated. --wil--

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have seen only one on another board.(and it happened to be about 4 minutes after I read your post)

Those that been around will recognize the "recipe" but I am guessing he wouldn't have issue with it helping a guy out:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Big Stick
PN #1 at 22" and twisted 1-12"(will kiss both 40 and 50V-Max from the box),teflon coated,Talley's,2.5-8x with turrets and McMillan Sako Classic.

She be the one in the middle.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RE stocking a Sako Vixen .222 in plastic is akin to painting a new Ferrari lime green, using a rattle can.

If what you want is a synthetic stocked rifle, sell me the Vixen and go buy one OR tell me what you want in a rifle of reasonable or similar value to the Sako and I will try to find you one post haste with which to trade you out of the Sako before it is desecrated in such a manner.

As to your original question, I would think it a long shot that there has been enough demand for synthetic stocks for these small actions to make tooling up for one a financailly feasable idea for the stockmakers out there. I could be wrong, have been before (once or MAYBE twice... smile )

Nice rifle you have there. Got one myself plus its older counterpart or ancestor, the Sako Riihimaki .222.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, pardon my manners.... WELCOME to 24hrcf!!!! Not all here are highly opinionated curmudgeons like myself..... smile

I have been on kind of a sarcastic roll today, had to pay payroll taxes and end of year taxes etc. and it really screwed with my budget and mood.

Good hunting, amigo and we will see you around here more, I hope.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can use a Basner for a MarkX mini mauser. It willl take some work. Bolt holes line up. Bolt handle ejection port and bolt stop needed moved back about 1/4inch. Lug need to be opend up and the tang widened and shortened. Need to fill about an 1/8 around the front two thirds of the bottom metal. Get some Marine Tex grey and have at it. Go slow mine turned out pretty nice. Mine was already molested, I bought it for the action.

IC B2

W
wil Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
No problem at all, Safariman. I'm really pretty much with you...I really like the Sako action...will likely sell some other firearms to pick up another L461 if I can.

Question came up for me when I ran into a very nice synthetic stocked custom Vixen. Price is REALLY high, so I thought I look into a 'project'.

Of course, my wife also really likes the little Sako just as it is...again, sounds like I need to find one in less-than-perfect shape which I could feel a little better playing with.

And thanks for the welcome. I've been reading the Campfire for quite a while, just don't write much. --wil--

W
wil Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Teal & Blueprinted,

Thanks for your replies.

The blue McSwirly looks very nice, much like what I had in mind...just a different recipe of colors.

And thanks for the insight into what it would take to adapt a mini-mauser inletted stock. I might try that if I find a suitable project gun. As I indicated to Safariman, I think my wife has adopted this one.

Again, many thanks. --wil--

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The Sako Classic would be the lightest/handiest from McMillan.

http://mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2f#sclassic

I did a white swirl on the Varmint HB stock. Just specify the L461 and the Classic.

Don't listen to Mark, you need to save the wood stock so when you shoot it out you can sell him the works laugh And have a great handle for another one...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't listen to HawkI, his rifles look like white straws stuck onto melted bowling balls smile smile

Just kidding, he has a point in that I have, in the past, bought shot out Sakos with pretty wood. A weakness I have. I just spent about $600.00 putting a Lilja 3 groove barrel on an L461 .222 I bought JUST because of the gorgeous wood!!!!! Sigh......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.