-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the price is really low then of course its a deal.

Things have changed over the decades on hunting rifles. I used to read and talk of having a custom built and I did. These days there are stainless steel actions and barrels and function seems to taken precident over perfect checkering.

If you have the money get it. I have some safe queens and they are precious to hold and think about.

I looked at the prices and many are $4000 and up. To be frank I would rather spend it on another pre 64 70 that looks great.

Factory Ruger Express in 270 W. I paid about $900.

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the price is right they can be a good deal if not a bargain. I gave $2900 for this early 416 Rigby a few years ago. It shoots great and looks OK too. I guess I could have bought a CZ or Ruger for less though...

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I went up to the gun room and got out my Dakota, a '50 m70 Super Grade in VG condition and a mid '80's custom built on a '52 m70 action. The Dakota's action is as smoth as the custom & better than the super grade. The trigger is better on the Dakota. The bottom metal is better on the Dakota. The bolt stop is MUCH nicer on the Dakota. The custom has XXX grade wood, the super grade and Dakota are close to each other but not nearly as nice. The Dakota's stock fits me better than the other 2. The Super with a Lyman Perma Center 4x is a 2" Rifle, I have not glass bedded it. The Custom is a 1" rifle but weighs over 10# because I studidly used a #4 Shilen barrel. I have not mounted a scope on the Dakota yer. My take after buying 1 is that a Dakota 76 in VG condition in a usable round should sell for $3,000-3,500. If you think a using hunting rifle is worth that much buy 1 and enjoy it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I've been offered a Dakota 76 at a good price.

Who has or has had one?

Is there anything that makes it worth the extra money?

_
Oh yes. It has enhancements over the Model 70 (e.g., the bolt release), and they're more perfectly manufactured even than the pre-war Model 70s. They are like custom rifles, essentially. I have a 76 in .30-06. Bought it new for well under MSRP back in the late 1990s.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I thought about buying a Dakota the they started a just under $3000. I work for a living and have a family. That said I do make a pretty good living so I could afford one. But I also hunt very hard I will backpack in and stay a week at a time hunt daylight to dark rain, snow, sleet or whatever I have been out all day and have found that I could not open the bolt on my rifle as it was raining most of the day and then turned cold and froze the bolt shut. The short of it is they are to nice a piece of work to treat like that and I am not willing to come in out of the weather. So I hunt with less expensive rifles so when I fall down in a creek and ding them I do not cry quite so much.

8mmwapiti

I guess I do not want a safe queen.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti

I guess I do not want a safe queen.

Me neither;mine's in a Bansner smile.I bought it to hunt.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, I promise ya, Bob will beat the crap out of it too.... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

It's his if he wants to he can.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W

Thanks everbody for the opinions. A lot of good points were made.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this, and it's on the way to me. So if anybody cares, here's my take on it.

When it comes right down to it, I am a wood and blued steel guy, and it's time to quit trying to make myself like stainless and fiberglass. Doesn't matter how much I spend on the rifle, if it's wearing a synthetic stock I can appreciate it's functionality, but I can't truly like it.

As was said, there are some good/great deals to be had, like gahuntertom's $2,140 7Mag. and Tony's $2,900 Rigby. My rifle is a 7Mag. from the Don Allen days, NIB. It has nice medium dark wood with decent figure. I paid about 60% of current list price for it. Maybe not as good a deal as the others got, but not too bad.

To be frank I would rather spend it on another pre 64 70 that looks great.

I went this route before, but it didn't work out for me. I got a good deal on a mint 1949 30-06 Super Grade, thinking it would become my go-to gun. In the end, I couldn't like the stock shape (designed for open sights), the cluttered barrel bothered me, the wood wasn't anything special, it weighed too much, and I knew if I changed it to my liking it wouldn't be worth half what I had in it.

If I was into nostalgia I could have liked the rifle, but my perception of a hunting rifle includes an optical sight, a clean barrel, and a trim stock shaped for optical sight use. It just didn't work for me.

So, I tried a pre-64 Featherweight with a Obermeyer barrel and a synthetic stock, but couldn't be happy with the synthetic stock.

Figuring a good pre-64 action with a good quality barrel on it will run about $1000, a wood/blue custom by a name builder would probably run at least 30-50% more (decent wood - nothing special) than the Dakota.

Sure wish I viewed a rifle as merely a tool. A fiberglass stock would make the pre-64 build really attractive. Of course, if that's how I saw things, then the CM action would be buggin the pi$$ out of me. grin

Durability? If I hunt for another 30 years my nice wood/blue rifles will still look better (to me) than the stainless synthetic does on day one. And no costly paint jobs required.

Stability? Some are, some aren't. We'll find out. grin

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane

I tried crazy the weather was too nice; not enough rocks in Alberta......I will work on it but I hunted the thing for 2 weeks and it still looks new...... grin

It needs a horseback elk hunt for 14 days......I mount a 4X Conquest on it tomorrow. Yahoo!

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Got two of them.Both bought used.They are not light weight,but are so well ballanced they feel right.I was not getting the groups I thought I should with the 06.I called them up and explained that I had bought it used and would appreciate them looking at it.They replaced the barrel and refinished the stock.I was not charged 1 cent.They even picked up shipping.How great is that!!!!!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W

I guess they include exceptional service in the up-front price, but on a used rifle that is incredible. grin

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that ding-bat Charlie what's his name still running Dakota Arms?

Nice guns, I've always wanted a model 10 in .257Roberts. Maybe one day.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry,
There's one on Gunbroker right now!!! http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121933699

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The thing I like about them is,when you order them, there is nothing to worry about;no action modifications,receiver holes are 8x40 and aligned correctly,trigger is M70 style,magazines correctly dimensioned,safety works great...they are built "trued up"so don't require anything that way......

In short, they are completely "ready" as built,much like a pre 64 M70.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Terry,
There's one on Gunbroker right now!!! http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121933699

Yea, but I'm on a cash lock down right now. If you can't eat it, I'm not buying it. wink

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm there with you, brother...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 76 Alpine .250-3000. A joy to shoot, carry, and (if there's no game around) look at.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.