Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'm thinking of purchasing a new Alaskan Ti but before I make this most substantial investment (for me anyway)I'd like to hear what guy's think who own these new Ti's, I would especially like to hear what kind of accuracy they are getting out of the new Magnum contour barrel. I have a few buddies who have tried the old Ti's with their pencil barrel's and accuracy lacked to say the least.....Thanks 547.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know you aren't really asking - but I'd look to a first generation used Ti long before I'd pay $2000 plus for a new 6 1/2 lb Remington. Check out the Tikka or Sako Finnlight for a nice light rifle. Unlike Remingtons - with these brands you won't be told by the company representatives that 2 1/2 inch ot 3 inch groups are "acceptable".

Tikka guarantees 3 shots into an inch.
Sako guarantees 5 shots into an inch.

The Browning Ti is cheaper - weighs much less - and in my opinion - has a much better record for delivering out-of-the box accuracy.

But, as always - buy what pleases YOU the most. smile

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would seriously look at a Kimber or Sako Finnlight . The remington is grossly overpriced.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I�ve owned several Remington 700 Ti rifles and now also have a Remington 700 Alaskan Ti in .300 WSM. The original Ti rifles were nice, although I thought that the pencil-thin barrels on the non-magnum models were so light that those original Ti non-magnum rifles felt butt-heavy to me. The magnum models, with their slightly heavier barrels, balanced much better IMHO.

Best of all, however, is the new Alaskan Ti. I�ve been VERY pleased with mine. I�ve set my Alaskan Ti up with Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8 scope. The balance is perfect and the handling is simply superb. The rifle also shoots extremely well. Favorite loads are Federal factory ammo with 180-grain Barnes TSX bullets.

Here�s that rifle last September in the Northwest Territories, where it accounted for a big bull moose at about 100 yards and this fine Mountain Caribou at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

I like my Alaskan Ti a lot. Fine rifle!

My experience with the Remington M700 Alaskan Ti suggests that you get what you pay for.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a beautiful animal!

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did you see the bear that made those tracks?

And congrats on that nice bull. Did you have that bull mounted?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who was sleepin on that when the bear made em?

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You could buy a Remington 700 CDL stainless fluted and put it in an Edge stock.
You will save some. $$$$

I did this with a 270

This outfit has a nice balance. I like mine.

Good luck

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Timberline, great pictures and what an adventure! Your Ti looks great in the pics, you said it shot good but please elaborate a little, how good?.........The .300 WSM is also my choice...To answer other questions I already own a Sako 85 Finnlight .308 Win and a Browning X-Bolt SS 30.06 both are very lightweight and will shoot MOA or less, I just want a new toy and I really like the looks of the 700 Alaskan Ti. and I also agree they are overpriced but what isn't these days?........Thanks 547.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Timberline,

That is a beautiful bull! Great pelt, nice rack!

Good to hear your rifle is all you thought it would be. It feels really good when that happens!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me I would look to build a spec much like the AK TI. I like the old Ti's and have never had a problem getting them to shoot little holes with those pencil barrels. That's a whole nother thread though smile

You could find a stainless action for about $400 (after you sell off the other parts), McMillan Edge Stock $519, Pac Nor Fluted Rem Mag contour $330 and have Redneck do the work for you and your only in to it for about $1500 and I would bet you a 6 pack its a shooter. That should be pretty close to 6.75 pounds. With a lighter countour you would be able to get around 6.5.

Save the rest of the coin for a glass.

Last edited by kenaiking; 02/07/09. Reason: Added weight

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Alaskan Ti, I got it I think last April and so far am really pleased. Its a 25-06, I put Leupold dual dovetail mounts on it with a Leupold Mark 2 3x9x40 with a their Long Range Reticle. I don't handload so have only shot factory ammo. The gun so far isn't picky on ammo, but it sure shoots the 100 grain Federal TSX really well. For 3 shot groups I can get 3/4 inch groups every time if I do my part - and really I will say I'm not a great shot at the range, it could probably group a little better if I tried so no complaints.

Remington does charge too much for that gun but I'm glad I got it, I paid $1600 for it at a local gun shop and it was worth it to me. So far I've only taken a Wyoming antelope with it - 1 shot and 1 kill. It fits me perfect and the balance is really good, at first the bolt was a little rough but now after using it for the season its really smoothed out. I do like the stock a lot also - I think maybe even better than my KS Custom 280rem which is what the Ti replaced.

Attached Images
12228-Wyominggoat.JPG (86.3 KB, 2539 downloads)
12230-Ti25-06_0087.JPG (60.06 KB, 6689 downloads)
Last edited by Oregonmuley; 02/07/09.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timberline-

GREAT 'bou!
I could dig the A-Ti in the 300wsm a lot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

I do like the stock a lot also - I think maybe even better than my KS Custom 280rem which is what the Ti replaced.

shocked shocked shocked

I did the opposite, selling a 270Ti and bought a KS in 280..<grin>

Nice speed goat too BTW!

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Considering one can purchase them for around $1600, I feel its not unreasonable. After all, if one WANTS a new Ti 700 type receiver, who is going to make you one?.. and what they going to charge?
Last I recall PGWDTi were charging $1500 for their M18Ti receiver, when you could get them.
I say if you like the TiAlaskan and want a new Ti receiver, just buy the calibre you like and start enjoying hunting with it.
I reckon the 6lb 270wsm is a great combination of power & weight in the world of lite rigs.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Oregon, I enjoyed your review of your 25.06, It helped a lot especially when you told me about the 3/4" groups, and I am like you, not the best shot in the world but I can shoot a decent group now and again. It's nice to have an honest non-embellished run down of what someone actually thinks of a product........Thanks 547.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A number of you asked additional questions about my particular Remington 700 Alaskan Ti in .300 WSM. Here are the answers.

Bearstalker � I hunted moose and caribou for 12 days in the NWT last fall and saw a half dozen or so grizzly bears. Nonresidents can�t hunt grizzlies in the NWT, so we always kept a respectable distance and had no problems. The sleeping pad with the big bear tracks was actually in the outfitter�s base camo, and I spent very little time there. Mostly, I hunted out of small, tented backpack camps. And yes, I am having that bull mounted as he is a particularly good mountain caribou with a spectacular cape. He had it all: 50-inch main beams, strong tops, imposing bez points, broad shovel, back points and he was also uncharacteristically wide for a Mountain caribou. His inside spread measured a remarkable 43 inches.

[Linked Image]

547 � You wanted me to elaborate on the accuracy of my Alaskan Ti. After barrel break-in, I tested the rifle with three different versions of Federal factory ammunition. My notes show that while shooting on a somewhat breezy day, but from a good bench, I repeatedly got the following 3-shot-group results:

1.50 inches at 100 yards with Federal 180-grain Nosler Partitions
1.30 inches at 100 yards with Federal 180-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws
1.25 inches at 100 yards with Federal 180-grain Barnes TSX

I then further tested the Barnes TSX load at 200 and 300 yards and came up with these 3-shot averages:

1.25 inches at 100 yards
2.25 inches at 200 yards
2.62 inches at 300 yards.

What has to be kept in mind is that all this is with a rifle, mounts and scope combination that weighs just 6 lbs. 15 oz. That�s light! The bare rifle, right out of the box, weighed just 6 lbs. 1 oz. That�s what a titanium action can do for you. This is no heavy, long-barreled rifle. The Remington M700 Alaskan Ti is a titanium-action lightweight designed specifically to be light and handy.

With its 24-inch barrel and short action, my Alaskan Ti measures just 43.5 inches from end to end.

And yes, one could build an excellent rifle utilizing a standard, steel Remington 700 action, a custom barrel and a lighter stock. But to get the total rifle weight down to what you could expect with a lightweight titanium action, you�d likely have to cut barrel weight (contour and maybe also length) considerably. And taking that approach, I�d worry about creating a rifle that was muzzle-light. The Alaskan Ti, on the other hand, balances beautifully because the titanium action is unusually light, while the 24-inch barrel is reasonably substantial. My particular rifle actually balances (empty) about � inch ahead of the front screw, and that seems to makes it carry, handle and shoot particularly well. For me, at least, a rifle that is a bit muzzle heavy � like the Remington M700 Alaskan Ti � handles and shoots much better from the offhand position. Rifles that are muzzle-light, by comparison, tend to jump around a good bit more for me when the shooting is fast and you don�t have time to take a solid field rest. It�s a small thing, but it�s exactly the sort of thing I look for when buying a new rifle.

Oh, by the way, here are a few more Remington M700 Alaskan Ti photos:

[Linked Image]

It�s hard to put into words just how big a really big NWT moose is. But to get an idea, I took some measurements. From the bottom of his front hoof to the top of his front shoulder measured 85 inches. That�s over seven feet! And that�s just to the top of his back. That measurement doesn�t include his head and antlers. From nose to tail he measured 115 inches, or nearly ten feet. A big moose is really BIG.

[Linked Image]

The Federal factory ammunition I used, loaded with 180-grain Barnes TSX bullets, performed flawlessly. The first shot on my moose punched straight through his on-side shoulder and I found the bullet up against the hide on his opposite shoulder. My knife clicked against it when I caped him. It had mushroomed perfectly and retained 179 grains.

[Linked Image]

Here's the exact spot from which I shot my caribou. We'd made a long stalk to get to this point, and the bull was still 300 yards away.

[Linked Image]

After I shot my caribou, we caped and boned the bull for transport, then set out. It was 2.5 up-and-down miles back to our little camp. As we neared our tents late in the day, we pulled up short to watch three grizzly bears on a second ridge just a half mile from our camp. Our tents are the two white dots just above the spotting scope and the little lake in the following photo. My guide is trying to take a photo of the largest of the bears through his spotting scope. Note my rifle.

[Linked Image]

Fortunately, we passed an uneventful night in camp. Where all the bears went, I don�t know, but they didn�t come our way. Still, we kept our rifles close.

As mentioned above, I carefully choose a Remington M700 Alaskan Ti in .300 WSM for this hunt. That pick proved excellent. The cartridge offered plenty of power for moose and a flat trajectory for caribou. The lightweight rifle also handled the wet weather and the constant bumps and knocks of the hunt very well. This is a very impressive rifle.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/2008NWTMooseCaribou334.jpg[/img]

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great picts and report, thanks for posting.

WWP53D
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent pics, and thanks for the details, you are very thorough............547.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.