Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Take this for what it is worth. Last Wed. I talked to the Leupold Rep at the Portland Oregon Sportsman show and was complaining about how hard the adjustment ring is to turn on the VXI and VXII scopes. He hung his head and said they have had an in house torque issue and have recently solved the problem. According to him, starting in a week (should be this week now)all VX1 and VXII scopes that ship out will have the new torque setting and will be the cat's meow.... I hope he is right.

GB1

_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Same here, mine is still hard to turn (VXII 3-9x40) after about 6 years, I thought it must just be an O-ring making a good seal.

Can't say I am too worried; like redmtn does, I use it mostly on low power for hunting and high power for sighting in.

Last edited by Potshot_Pete; 02/10/09.

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try this first before you send it back. Leupolds recommended torque is 15 INCH pounds, approximatley 2-3 ft lbs which is not much at all. Loosen your rings a bit, you probably have them over torqued. I had the sam issue with my Vari-x II. I sent it back twice and until we finally figured it out. Now that I have it torqued less it works much better. It honestly sounds like alot of you guys have your rings over torqued. Back them off a bit.

Last edited by sako4me; 02/10/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought & mounted 2 of the Leup. Century models last year. They were installed last year, using a fairly high quality torque wrench from Utica, precisely to Leupold specs. One of them has the dreaded tight magnification ring turn.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess my Leupolds are old..they have what I'd call 'firm' to turn rings, but not what I'd call too tight! I do wish for the little bump though so I'd have a tactile reference instead of always needing to look for the gold pointer.

To the poster that mentioned Africa...LOL!! Only being a pig hunter in Texas all I can say is that if I'm hunting something that I think is a)that close and b)that dangerous, I'd have the power ring turned to low before I ever got into the situation. That's one reason why so many folks like the fixed powers-nothing to mess with short or long, practice means no hasty readjustments in the field! I like my old Vari-XII 1-4 for that kind of stuff. Glass smooth power ring on that one-much easier to turn than my others.

Seems to be lots of angst against Leupold 'round here? I don't keep up much with stuff after I find something that works so well for me, so what am I missing?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pyledriver, I was exagerating an extreme scenario, and I do prefer fixed scopes for many reasons but there is a place and I will use a few variables on occasion. I wonder if Leupy knows the 1-4 may be on dangerous game rifles and builds them to turn easier?

I would hate to see what has happened to Remington, happen at Leupold. QC out the window, poor service, and out of touch with consumers would not bode well. Just the other day I read a guy was cussing his new SPS and Rem did not correct the problem. Many replies indicated similar problems. Higher production = more opportunity for problems if someone is not staying on top of things......or if bean counters are in the drivers seat.

When other companies mfg. scopes with those 'tactile bumps' on their power rings......any reason Leupold cannot? Nada.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh, I agree-they have a reputation to maintain for quality! I also agree about the bump thing.. I just don't do much comparisons since my stuff works for me optics and clarity-wise and also never felt that the rings were too bad on my scopes. I will go fondle..er..handle some new ones next time I'm at the store though! I was considering buying a couple VXIII's in the future anyway.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.