Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shinbone
Hi All,

I see that the Durango & Silverton narrow gauge railroad will make flagstops to board and de-board backpackers, fisherman, etc., at a few trailheads along the line. Backpackers are allowed one pack for $10, and other gear is carried as paid-for freight.

The Durango & Silverton Railroad traverses some pretty rugged and inaccessible country. It seems the Railroad flagstops could offer a relatively easy way for a non-horse person to access some roadless backcountry for a DIY backpack elk hunt, with the train doing most of the hard work of humping the gear into the wilderness. The backpack hunter need only flagstop the train at one of the trailheads, and hike a few miles from the train to set up camp. Just reverse the process at the end of the hunt.

I know of at least one outfitter which uses the train to carry hunters to the trailhead of one of their drop camps, so it seems the train has some experience dealing with hunters.

Anyone ever done this?

--shinbone

The best way to hunt archery goat in unit G5 is to start out from the D&S train (G5 is archery only). I went with my buddy in the late 80's--but I'll be darned if I can remember what the train stop at the trailhead is called.....it's hell getting old. Most goat hunters use the train--It's a blast bringing down the meat, head, cape and skin to the train stop after 4-5 days in the hills......amongst all the tourists grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hungry Horse
Shinbone; On the web site http://www.14ers.com/ go to the heading "Trailheads", click, next page will show differnet mountains, find "San Juans", look at the list and find the "Needleton" name, click, there you will find info on the bridge there, photos, and a short write up on the trail to be followed to Chicago Basin from Needleton. Looks like there is discussion on the bridge being repaired, and the possibilty of an additonal hike of 7 miles, to reach the Chicago basin area. Do your research, to eliminate surprises ! The mountains in the area are Mount Eolus and N Eolus, Windom, and Sunlight all over 14,000 ft, but the elk are not that high, thank God. LOL HH in Pa

Needleton!--That's it!

A guy can get across the river fairly easy in August.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PredHunter
I have a friend that did a successful archery goat hunt in the sunlight basin area last fall. They rode the train in and got off at Needleton. They packed nearly 40 miles over the 3 days it took him to connect. The one thing I got out of the story was STEEP wasn't the word....It was STUPID! I would not recommend anyone that is not used to the altitude or not physically fit to attempt this areaor hunt.
I have talked to the bioligist in that area about the goat hunting. I asked why they give some many tags(30 or so) He said welll...cause most guys turn them back in. The ride in on the train look around and decide they messed up. I only know of three guys that have went up in there. They are all for lack of a better word...Machines!
As for elk hunting.They were in there in September and already had snow.I wouldn't plan a trip past first season or you maybe staying up there for awhile. If this gets you going then by all means get it done! But there are "easier" yet remote places to hunt elk in Colorado.

Pardon the off-topic, but are these tags all archery and resident?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
O
Oak Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

Pardon the off-topic, but are these tags all archery and resident?

PredHunter exaggerated a bit. There are 12 archery tags (one non-resident) and two rifle tags (resident only). The rifle tags are only good in a small portion of the northern end of the unit, which is more easily accessed by vehicle than train.

Last edited by Oak; 02/09/09.
P
P
this is my first ever post so bear with me...

I did this hunt about 10 years ago. ML for elk. The train dropped us off at elk park. We did see elk, a few very nice ones but never close enough for a ML shot. The terrain is very very steep. The year I went I trained for and ran a 1/2 marathon and I was none too conditioned. We camped as I recall at 10,500 ft and hunted about 12,500 ft. We gained that altitude very quickly, darn near straight up. One of my companions had to head out fairly quickly due to altitude sickness. Back then the tag was good only east of the river. That area is also wilderness designated, so no wheels of any sort (i.e. cart) if you get one it comes out on your back. (Too steep for cart anyhow). Call the good folks at the RR they were most helpful, they do this all the time. I recall they will haul as much as you want, you pay per 100# and it is relatively cheap. You can cross the river a short ways north of elk park on a walking bridge. Any specific ? let me know. A great hunt, great adventure, great memories.

Paul

Take a kid hunting so some day they'll take you.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Can you buy back 25 years and a few surgeries through the train plan as well..................grin.

I read about this hunt/train package deal many years ago and it sounded wonderful......isolated, pristine areas, elk in their own backyard playin' by their rules, lots of "seat of the pants" decisions to be made, reasonable rates, etc. An adventure to share amongst the best of buddies.

For those w/o physical limitations or time constraints who desire to see such areas, whether for hunting purposes or not........don't put off what may someday not be possible to do. It sounds like a challenge for sure, but a fun and memorable one with the right people, information and attitudes.

Don't put off today, fellas.................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PredHunter
I have a friend that did a successful archery goat hunt in the sunlight basin area last fall. They rode the train in and got off at Needleton. They packed nearly 40 miles over the 3 days it took him to connect. The one thing I got out of the story was STEEP wasn't the word....It was STUPID! I would not recommend anyone that is not used to the altitude or not physically fit to attempt this areaor hunt.
I have talked to the bioligist in that area about the goat hunting. I asked why they give some many tags(30 or so) He said welll...cause most guys turn them back in. The ride in on the train look around and decide they messed up. I only know of three guys that have went up in there. They are all for lack of a better word...Machines!
As for elk hunting.They were in there in September and already had snow.I wouldn't plan a trip past first season or you maybe staying up there for awhile. If this gets you going then by all means get it done! But there are "easier" yet remote places to hunt elk in Colorado.

When my buddy drew his G5 tag, the unit had only been open for a few years. 3 goats had been harvested, and two archery hunters had been killed--one struck by lightening, the other fell off the mountain.......Hunters 3, Goats 2 wink

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One should always have a prudent grasp of their limitations..............but it's the "how do we get to know what our limitations are".....THAT'S the fine line.

When I would free dive, it was oftentimes a bit of a rush (quite literally), to break the surface in time. Testing the waters if you will........

Be safe and good luck, oftentimes have more in common than we think.

Good info Casey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.