Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,i have a Ruger 10-22 that i want to put a sling on and need the best way to put sling a sling stud in the buttstock.the butstock is a factory Ruger synthetic and is hollow.There APPEARS to be no way to enter the rear of the stock to do something like put a wodden dowel into the stock to give the stud something to screw into..I have had a few people tell me that I can just take a regular stud which is intended to screw into a wooden stock and screw that into the stock with or without epoxy on the threads and it would work fine but for the life of me I just cant see that being a very sturdy setup.I can see the screw either cracking the stock and pulling through or just pulling through .I would appreciate information from those experienced in this particular setup.Thanks,Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not installed studs in that particular stock, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal to do. Mark the spot where you want it, degrease (Acetone) a small drill bit and drill a pilot hole.

Obtain a sling swivel stud with the coarse "wood" style thread. Degrease it (Acetone) and thread it into the stock. Remove the stud and apply a liberal coat of a good epoxy (Acraglas) to the threads and screw it up flush. Wipe off the excess epoxy and orient the stud with the hole running perpendicular to the length.

Set the stock horizontally in a cradle or vise to allow the excess epoxy to flow down from the threads to help form an internal supporting anchor for the screw. Let it cure.

For the front, drill a hole to clear the threaded shank. Obtain a piece of steel plate and drill and tap it for a 10x32 screw. Thread the front stud through the stock and into the steel anchor. Clean up.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If the stock is completely hollow where you want the screw to go in, I have injected some epoxy with a syringe into the hole(use plenty) and then screw the stud in. Let the stock rest so that the epoxy flows down around the threads and fills in that area a little. They have held for me.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi,I appreciate the advice guys . I have a set of swivels already but I dont have the studs .Do yall have any idea where I could get the studs for the 10-22 on the cheap ?I hate to buy a set of swivels and studs for $11.00 just to get the two studs.Thanks again,Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 02/08/09. Reason: misspelling and add

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I always bought them by the bag, maybe someone here will sell just the studs. I am currently out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the same rifle in SS and black synthetic stock.
I installed the rear stud in the normal manner and it has been perfect....not a lot of weight in the rifle to create stress.
The front swivel is the kind that attaches to the front barrel band and that too has work very well. Just about everyone carries the swivel kits for the 10/22.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.