Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
FYI

243, 3100 mv, 240 yds, DRT..dead right there/in tracks.

Broke both shoulders/clipped bottom spine stopped just in hide offside.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photo!! But,why would you go so over gunned??
Nothing like 'pig' bustin!! Brings back a lot of memoirs!!
Way cool....rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Great job! Excellent pics, by the way.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well done!

Where did you get this boar?

It looks like our European wild boars.

By the way: a lesser caliber than 264/6.5 mm is not legal on anything bigger than the European roe deer in Germany.

When I see this I cannot understand why!

Elmer Keith
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In Louisiana, the deep south of the USA. That little Barnes X boatail bullet really works well. Plan to use a few more of it's replacement, the TSX in the future.

Yeah, that rifle seemed about too much when I pulled the trigger, looked like a metal silhouette just tipped over wink

My little Pentax A10 has a close up feature and focuses well on close up stuff. 8.3MP gives great shots.

That little rifle I sold and regret as they stopped making them and it was so handy, and the 6x Swaro was sweet. Made the shot in just a few seconds, hog busted out in the open and I instantly was on it and asked my son if he was watching before I squeezed. I was really surprised it dropped like it did...made a believer out of me. Had loaded 8 rounds a few years earlier and had never taken anything with them, nor put on paper but I had been zeroed with 85 BTHP Sierra, same powder/charge so I was confident in POI. That evening I thought why not chamber one up since I wanted to see what they would do if a deer popped out.

Ended up being my first and only hog to date.....turned out perfect and my son as you can see enjoyed it just as much. They Do Smell bad though smile

Elmer, I do believe there were Russian Boars introduced here years ago and if not mistaken about 5 million boar now roam the USA, perhaps a third I believe are said to be in one state alone, Texas, devastating to the landscape.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Had loaded 8 rounds a few years earlier and had never taken anything with them, nor put on paper but I had been zeroed with 85 BTHP Sierra, same powder/charge so I was confident in POI. That evening I thought why not chamber one up since I wanted to see what they would do if a deer popped out.

There is no way I could have done that, I'm too OC I guess. grin

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, it's all about confidence isn't mathman? I truly don't gamble much when hunting as quick kills are my goal when I am squeezing and I do pass poor shot presentations depending on range, angle, and brush, etc. I am sure we are not that far apart, took that same rifle hunting 3 years earlier and the last time at the range it was sighting in with 70gr TNT's atop Varget for 3500 mv, a bullet and speed that WILL blow on contact, BUT I was not going to change weights and not know my POI, SO, 70s it was.

Thankfully my deer of opportunity was a good eating size doe, just a little over 40 yds, I raised my rifle and centered the neck as the deer stopped and noticed likely a glint of blued steel off the morning sun in front of me. That was all she remembered, one shot, one kill....again....dang near tore that deer's neck in half, hide was all holding it on.

I was confident on that X load that it would shoot close enough at my distances. It was a last minute split second decision as I settled into the stand and it worked, and yes had it not, and the POI not been the same, I'd kicked myself, but I felt very sure the same 45/IMR 4350 and same brass/bullet weight/style would get my VOA...Vitals of Angle accuracy, and I was right. Gotta love it when a plan comes together. I sure am glad I had an X and not the BTHP deer load in chamber wink

Hog facing me and I had to break on-side shoulder before it wrecked the lungs, clipped spine and busted the off-shoulder. I hit high not realizing the anatomy and also that there is so much hair atop the backline over the shoulder area, but my bullet tracked well, and I imagine an X bullet is high on the probability of traveling thru an animal while giving good straight line penetration not veering off the vitals aimed for and that certainly was the rule of that shot.

None the less, that quick kill and seeing the recovered bullet gave me a renewed respect for the little 6mm's. This year I had planned to use a 95 btip on deer, but before that I wanted to take one with my 357/158JSP carbine and another with my Swede in #1 Ruger, and a 130 AB. Both DRT kills, neither bullet recovered both broadside double lung shots.

I'll have to wait till next year to try the 95bts in a 6BR as I hear they do great, but I will plan for more X bullets also, esp. when anticipating Hogs. One guy posted an Elk kill with these 85s, impressive game killing ability I believe.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Elsewhere I've mentioned that I'll be showing a friend the reloading ropes this spring and a favorite rifle of his is a 243. I'm going to have to get him to try the 85 grain TSX.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
278 members (007FJ, 160user, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,812
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.