-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i have a friend looking get another rifle barrel for his newly purchased optima elite. maybe a 30-06 barrel. used or new . i've noticed alot of dealers don't have them anymore.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Shop in Gilbert AZ called Van Horn (480.892.9630). They also make cutom TC barrels. To build you a custom barrel for your Optima Elite, the most cost effective way, would be to send them a barrel you no longer want and the action for a custom fit.

Also, they won't build a high presure caliber, because its unsure how much that action can take. Calibers I would love:

25-06
6.5 x 57
7-08
45-70

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
did you try budsgunshop.com?

most of the calibers you've listed are available on the cva Hayen.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks BigBlock. I searched the web for CVA Optima Elite barrels and kept coming up with the usual big shops. The price is right!!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HaYen
Shop in Gilbert AZ called Van Horn (480.892.9630). They also make cutom TC barrels. To build you a custom barrel for your Optima Elite, the most cost effective way, would be to send them a barrel you no longer want and the action for a custom fit.

Also, they won't build a high presure caliber, because its unsure how much that action can take. Calibers I would love:

25-06
6.5 x 57
7-08
45-70

CVA is looking a high pressure action that was shop built which will handle even the WSM calibers. Whether CVA will take the risk of preceeding forward with testing in this economy only they can answer.

Gun manufacturers do not like risk taking on new products for the economic climate we are likely to have for 2-3 more years.

Doc

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
give this a look on the bergara barrel quality:

Last night curiosity got the best of me and I uncovered the Rockwell hardness tester to check out the hardness of the Bergara Encore barrels.

"Cheap, Soft Spanish guns" has traditionally sometimes been true, unfortunately, which I can personally vouche for in regard to some I have had such as a Llama 1911 type .45 ACP that had the slide showing signs of stretching after very little use. Likewise, my .45 Firestar shows signs of stretching with only a few Federal +Ps run through it.

Likewise, Taurus handguns from Brazil once had a reputation for being cheaply made, but today it is another story entirely with Taurus putting out superb guns that rival the very best. Frankly, I have picked up several Taurus wheel guns that left me lusting for one myself!

Over the past year and a half doing machine work on Bergara barrels, I have rechambered, cut and crowned, relined, had numerous barrels cut rifle rebored to larger calibers, drilled and tapped, and cut my TBOSS into them.

Their steel machines VERY nicely. Harking back to the days when I did a lot of cut rifling reboring, off the cuff in terms of machineability, I would put the Bergara Encore barrel steel somewhere between early Winchester stainless steel and Ruger's blued, chrome-moly, steel for machining easily and very cleanly.

Cut rifle reboring will tell you more about the machining qualities of barrel steel probably better than any other test. The Bergara barrels I have had rebored recently have cut rifled beautifully!

Internal finishes and the costs to produce those finishes are in part a function of how readily the steel machines and is reflected in the finishes of both the bores and the chambers of the Bergara barrels and their excellent price points.

The point of this Newsletter is this. Has anything by way of barrel hardness (ie, tensile strength) been sacrificed to get these nice finishes at the price we pay for the product?

Drum rollllllll:

Blued steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardness tested at Rc 25.
Stainless steel Bergara Encore barrels Rockwell hardenss tested Rc 17.
(Their Encore muzzle loader barrels are made from the same steel as their rifle barrels.)

How does this compare with other high power rifle barrels?

Quick summary of checks I have made over the years:

Older vintages of military Mauser barrels and early 1903 Springfield .30/06 manganese steel barrels around Rc 10.

Later Springfield .30/06 barrels made from what P.O. Ackley said was "WD4140," WD meaning "War Department", was around Rc17, the average hardness of "normalized," ie, air cooled 4140 steel.

The majority of commercial barrels from Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc. tested around Rc 24-26, while at the time I tested them, the Savage 110 barrels were right up there at around Rc 30-32.

Shilen barrels at the time were Rc 19 while Douglas was around Rc 25.

Current Shilen barrels run around Rc 29-30.

Most 416 stainless rifle barrels are around Rc 20, +/-.

As you can see, barrel steel hardnesses range all over the planet, over the entire hardness range from dead soft annealed up through about Rc 32, the upper end of the hardness range that still readily permits the types of machining operations involved in making barrels.

Bottom line:
The Bergara Encore barrels made in Bergara, Spain are right where they need to be for hardness, which determines in large part the tensile strength of the steel.

"Soft Spanish guns" does not apply here!

Another plus for Bergara barrels!

Mike Bellm

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sounds good enough for me!!!!

M
M
Try midsouth shooters supply.....

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/deptsearch1x.asp?dept=%46%69%72%65%61%72%6D%73

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by srwshooter
sounds good enough for me!!!!

And me. Thanks BigBlock your wisdom is always valued

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

WHUT?
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I saw a video online last night on CVA's web site that showed the factory in Spain that manufactures the barrels and assembles the firearms. There seems to be a lot of "hands-on" work done to these barrels during the manufacturing process. I personally like the button cut rifling.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Does anybody actually stock the Apex yet ? Id like to be first in line to get one if it shoots anywhere close to my Optima Elite.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
email markcva.com and he will know.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.