Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DarkStar
Here's a question to the guys on here who have been there and done that. Say you have an ar-15 with 16" tube, what would be a good round for home defense

12 guage.

and SHTF scenarios?

22lr.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Planemech
I just love all the crazy over the 5.56 and .223. Boys and girls this is a rifle and we are talking 3200 FPS velocities. Home D is up close and personal. A canvas jacket is proof against a 55 grain .223 bullet? Let's get real here for a moment. This isn't combat nor are we shooting through walls or cars to get at a bad guy. People can talk all they want I don't think anyone would want to be on the receiving end of the 55 grain vmax, canvas coat or not. Having seen what one of those does to coyotes I'd not want that grenade going off in me.

Some TAP ammo has TAP specific bullets, the heavies for example- the 75 grain stuff. There are a couple different TAP specific bullets. The 55 grain is as far as can be determined the Vmax bullet and it only penetrates some 8" in gelatin tests with major fragmentation from the data I was able to find in a web search. Ironically what one wants in non Geneva Convention home defense situations.

Maybe someone else knows for sure if the 55 grain TAP bullet is a V-max or not. I hardly think we need TSX's, partitions or armor piercing ammo for home defense ammo. Call me crazy but I have found that the 5.56 will kill things like people and deer, coyotes etc. I know that's a radical position.

Planemech... I'm not into a peeing match here, really.

I don't know what bullet Hornady uses in its TAP ammo, and neither does anyone other than Hornady. I don't know if it's the same VMax bullet I load in my varmint rounds.

What I DO know is that the 55 gr and 75 gr TAP ammo met FBI (and other) protocols. I don't think you're crazy to claim that the 5.56 will kill things like people and deer-sized quadrupeds. Been there, done that.

My point was that a home defender thinking he'll be "safe" shooting at a bad guy in his/her house with a shotgun or a pistol and expecting people to be safe on the other side of his/her "bad" shots is a fallacy.

You have to hit what you need to hit. Period. What you hit it with is, for the most part, irrelevant.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe i should have worded my question differently, whats the most devestating, anti-personel round for the .233? I have a 12 guage, two pistols, two 22lrs, along with several other rifles. I have recently bought an AR-15 not thinking the world is coming to an end but because i have always wanted one. If im gonna have one in the house i want ammo that will be effective in it, im not too big on FMJ prjectiles.I not know this answer so i didnt mean to cause any in-fighting...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just go pick up any hunting type mid weight soft point, hollow point or whatever non FMJ ammo and call it good.

I would concentrate a lot more money, effort and thought into taking care of loved ones who may likely get injured. Learn some casualty care and how to stabilize a trauma victim.

Bad things happen to good people, learn to deal with it.

It is very easy to dump dudes, it is a lot harder keeping people alive.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Just go pick up any hunting type mid weight soft point, hollow point or whatever non FMJ ammo and call it good.

I would concentrate a lot more money, effort and thought into taking care of loved ones who may likely get injured. Learn some casualty care and how to stabilize a trauma victim.

Bad things happen to good people, learn to deal with it.

It is very easy to dump dudes, it is a lot harder keeping people alive.

Excellent answer. I agree completely.

My personal choice for antipersonnel loads is any JSP bullet in the 60-65 gr weight range. They'll work in any rifle regardless of twist rate and are devastating on the receiving end.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't agree with any HP bullet though... I'd be happy with a SP, but still don't feel that an AR is a house gun for me.

I'll stick with birdshot in the 12ga backed up with buckshot if i need it, knowing full well that birdshot is about done once it has to go through one wall, but that buckshot can keep going, hence the reason for birdshot up close the first few rounds.

Did anyone post results of say 55 sps vrs a standard interior wall, how much further do they go after one wall?

And yes, totally agree you have to hit what you are aiming at and that helps, yet I carry a spare tire and fire extinguishers just in case.... same here, I intend to hit, but feel like I should put more thinking into the results in case I miss.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Just playing around with different bullets and with shooting into different media, but I like the Winchester 64 grain SP.
It is quite accurate out of my AR15 and AR180B. It works fine in my Ruger Mini as well.
My reason for trying this was to see if it would work as a deer cartridge now that its legal on Florida. Looks like it will be fine for hunting, and for HD.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Just playing around with different bullets and with shooting into different media, but I like the Winchester 64 grain SP.
It is quite accurate out of my AR15 and AR180B. It works fine in my Ruger Mini as well.
My reason for trying this was to see if it would work as a deer cartridge now that its legal on Florida. Looks like it will be fine for hunting, and for HD.

I like the Winchester 64 gr JSP as well. I think it will do fine on those little Florida deer, although Black Hills makes a fine 64 gr Nosler Partition load that I think would be even better (and has a great record at going through windshields and car doors with plenty of steam on the other side).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495
I'll stick with birdshot in the 12ga backed up with buckshot if i need it, knowing full well that birdshot is about done once it has to go through one wall, but that buckshot can keep going, hence the reason for birdshot up close the first few rounds.

Did anyone post results of say 55 sps vrs a standard interior wall, how much further do they go after one wall?

Jeff

I've done testing on birdshot, buckshot, and 5.56mm 55 gr ball through standard construction sheetrock walls (5/8"), with a box of wetpack two feet behind it. Muzzles were set up 4 yards from the mockup wall.

The 55 gr ball ammo will penetrate 14 inches of soaked newsprint and blow out the other side. 64 gr JSP stays in the soaked newsprint. Buckshot blows a crater about 10" deep, and #7 birdshot blows a hole about 6" deep. I realize this is not as scientific/reproducible as shooting into a calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin block, but it gives some grounds for comparison between one projectile/load and another.

As far as I'm concerned, my results tell me that birdshot is NOT a "safer" alternative. The pellets have barely started to open up into a pattern at "home defense" ranges (7 yards or less) and strike as a solid mass for all intents and purposes. I know from treating GSW victims shot with birdshot inside 5 yards or so that the damage is comparable to that of buckshot. Past that distance buck is more lethal, especially Federal's Flite-Control buckshot.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Looks to me that a 6 inch hole penetrates less than a 64 that stays inside a newspack thats at least 14 inches thick? Am i right.

I don't use birdshot for the spread, anyone that thinks any pellet load spreads at house distances is crazy in my books. But what I ues it for is that after it hits human targer or wall, my feeble testing says it dissipates and travels not as far as other rounds/ammo. Point being it'll kill you just as dead as anything else, but if it hits a wall it wont' travel as much as others. Thats how I'm interpretting your results.

BTW typical wall is not 5/8 rock, thats fire rock, typical HOME walls are 1/2 rock, 2x4, no insulation, and 1/2 rock again. 5/8 is generally found in commercial buildings as a fire stop. Just FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jeff... I'll have to find the pix and post them here. There's a big difference between the 6" deep and 6" wide crater the birdshot makes and the 14" pinhole the .223 round makes. My point is that neither one is "safe" for home defense use, nor should they be. As the Second Rule of Gun Safety says, "Know your target, and what's beyond it." Keep in mind that if an armed intruder is in your home, he's not going to be concerned about collateral damage, and he for damned sure won't be using "safe" ammunition.

My home defense shotgun is loaded with 00 buck, with slugs in the sidesaddle. I've treated a lot of GSW survivors with birdshot in 'em who did fine. I've never seen a GSW survivor with buckshot in him in 20-odd years of ER medicine. I know they're out there, but it's pretty rare.

And yes, I'm aware that 1/2" sheetrock is used in homes. I deliberately used heavier-than-code 5/8" to counter arguments from skeptics. No big deal.

FWIW, if you have the good fortune to live in an older home with plaster-and-lath walls, you probably don't need to worry about birdshot (or even most pistol rounds) going through them. Buckshot, slugs, and most rifle rounds will go thru, however.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
was thinking the 6x6 hole would eat up energy more so than pinhole of the 223....

I'm not all that concerned about killing someone though I have no qualms about it either, I simply don't want to add my own damage to innocents.. I know the intruder doesn't care, doesn't mean I'm not concerned with overpenetration, and with our CHL laws we are more responsible.... Now you are saying birdshot won't kill as easy, which I find hard to believe at 10 feet inside your bedroom, but maybe so. For another view at this, of the survivors, how many do you think were shot at close range, 10 feet or so, and how many were not incapcitated instantly? VS dead with buckshot....

BTW the 5/8 rock also has built in moisture which means more dense, heavier... but I understand the use.

Any difference between say #4 buck and 00 buck in home penetrations? And what I currently have is LEO low recoil 00 buck a stash of it just because but the side saddle has 3 inch 00 buck..... a differnece in penetration to speka of or less pellets and less recoil?

And nope, not an old house. If I wasnt' worried much about penetration issues I'd likely have a handy M14 full of nice bullets and just pummel the guy or gal that made a mistake.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 5.56 will kill , but the 7.62 will leave a hole in the soul!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grey,
I haven't read the whole thread so I may be repeating someone, but my opinion is that if you really want a gun for self defense at your cabin, a short-barrelled pump shotgun is the way to go.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too much hardware, not enough software.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This was a silly debate the first time I heard it in 1966. The 5.56 kills just fine, and you can hump a lot more ammo than with the 7.62's,6.8's or whatever.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495
was thinking the 6x6 hole would eat up energy more so than pinhole of the 223....

I'm not all that concerned about killing someone though I have no qualms about it either, I simply don't want to add my own damage to innocents.. I know the intruder doesn't care, doesn't mean I'm not concerned with overpenetration, and with our CHL laws we are more responsible.... Now you are saying birdshot won't kill as easy, which I find hard to believe at 10 feet inside your bedroom, but maybe so. For another view at this, of the survivors, how many do you think were shot at close range, 10 feet or so, and how many were not incapcitated instantly? VS dead with buckshot....

BTW the 5/8 rock also has built in moisture which means more dense, heavier... but I understand the use.

Any difference between say #4 buck and 00 buck in home penetrations? And what I currently have is LEO low recoil 00 buck a stash of it just because but the side saddle has 3 inch 00 buck..... a differnece in penetration to speka of or less pellets and less recoil?

And nope, not an old house. If I wasnt' worried much about penetration issues I'd likely have a handy M14 full of nice bullets and just pummel the guy or gal that made a mistake.

Jeff

Jeff, I didn't see much difference between 00 buck and No. 1 buck, but No. 4 buck looked a lot more like #2 birdshot, IIRC. Which wasn't pretty, either. I don't feel a lot of difference in recoil between any of the above, to be honest. My home shotgun is an 11-87 M&P model. I feed it Federal FliteControl 00 buck and Federal 1-oz Foster slugs. Both are 2-3/4 inch shells. I have put 5 rounds of buck on a silhouette target at 5 yards in under 1.2 seconds with this gun, and 5 slugs in a 5-inch circle at 100 yards (slow fire), not braggin' on me, just the quality and versatility of the platform.

To be honest, what I've done is stick with 00 buck and pre-determine lanes of fire in my home that I know are "safe" (in terms of potential collateral damage). I've also added some "decorative" features to the house in a couple of places to make overpenetration less of an issue. My sheetrock/wetpack testing convinced me years ago that there's no such thing as a "safe" load when you're trying to incapacitate a bad guy but not create any collateral damage.

The only "safe" thing is to put the bad guy down for his dirt nap pronto. Your first shot is always your best shot. Make it count, and a second (or third) shot will not be required, and all ballistic materials will be retained within the new autopsy material. (BTW, this is the training doctrine of one of the major metro PD's I have trained and continue to work with, and their OIS data shows that it works.)

YMMV.

Stay safe.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heck to be truthful, I'm overly protective, I guess its fear of lawsuits etc... and I'm in the country.... we dno't have kids, its not really an issue at all to me but I still feel I should be thinking. Plus I generally keep birdshot there as the shotgun mostly kills cottonmouths.... but there is buck in the tube.. Maybe I should rethink it all and go buckshot only.

Any thoughts on the short buckshot shells? Someone gonna call me Jeff O for asking all the questions probably... or just forget it and run the same 00 I buy for our local PD at 2.75 inches low recoil?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
All I know is that i did not sign the Geneva convention, and i am not going to be using FMJ ammo.

It is similar to the 9mm in that when using a proper expanding bullet, the round becomes a much more solid performer. Are their probably better choices? Sure, but there are compromises. 360 rounds of .223 into a fight or 200 rnds of .308. I guess it depends on how far from the truck you plan on running out of ammo.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I don't see what signing the Geneva Convention has to do with any of this discussion.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.