Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Even $1600 is too much for a supposedly "lightweight" gun that weighs over six pounds despite having an (expensive) titanium action. Go with an old style (pre-Alaskan) Rem 700 Titanium if you want a true lightweight. If you want a gun that weighs over six pounds, there are a lot of other (better and cheaper) choices available. Titanium is not a good action material unless you make use of its light weight, and the newer Alaskan Titanium model is too heavy to be considered to make good use of titanium.

a 7-08 Alaskan runs 6 lb even. What are these better and cheaper choices that weigh the same or better?

Kimber Montana? If you want to roll the dice on accuracy. The Rem Ti will be more accurate 7 times out of 10.

Sako Finnlight? Sure but once you ditch the crap stock for a McMillan you're way over $1600 and the Sako weighs more.

What else?

Foxbat,

Here are a few:

1. We'll start with Remington rifles. The previously-mentioned special run Rem 700 Mountain Guide rifles are listed at 5.75 lb (short action), and that's 4 oz lighter than a short-action Alaskan Titanium, and the Mountain Guide rifles can be found for $1k less than the Alaska Titanium. The Rem 700 Mountain LSS short action is listed at 6.5 lb, which even after the price increase a few years ago is still a bargain compared to the AK Ti and only 0.5 lb more. With both the Mountain Guide and the Mountain LSS you still get the potential Remington accuracy with a smoother (steel) action.

2. If you are chasing accuracy, Tikka rifles have GUARANTEED sub-moa accuracy. Tikka T3 Lite rifles are listed at 6.2 lb - right at the same weight as the Rem 700 Alaskan Titanium and for a lot ($1k+) less money.

3. Another option if you are chasing accuracy, STANDARD-weight Savage rifles are listed at 6.5 lb for a long action vs. 6.25 lb for a long-action Rem 700 Alaskan Titanium. Need I point out that a 700 AK Ti's price is multiples (on the order of 4x or so) of a Savage's price (well over $1k difference).

4. Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight is listed at 5.75 lb for both short and long actions (compared to 6 and 6.25 for the Alaskan Titanium), the Weatherby costs LESS than the Alaskan Titanium, AND you get guaranteed accuracy with the Weatherby.

Apparently it isn't all that hard to make a rifle in the 5.75 to 6.5 lb range with steel rather than titanium. Remington is gouging their customers who buy an Alaskan Titanium.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another route:

Brand new SPS SS 700
$575 (see gunsamerica, etc)
Sell bbl, stock
-$90
Quality SS barrel, installed, action refaced, lugs lapped, beadblast, your chambering specs, your contour specs, your crown specs, your overall length
$550
New Edge stock in your pattern choice, your pad choice, your LOP choice, your color choice, your inlet choice, your sling swivel choice
$520

That is about $50 under the $1,600 cost of a Alaskan Ti. Just enough jingle for a good trigger job. Could easily beat 6lbs.

Wonder which one most folks would take?

Last edited by JPro; 02/23/09.

Now with even more aplomb
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're comparing apples to oranges. Those mountain guide rifles are seldom close to MOA let alone sub MOA. I haven't seen a new SS Mountain Guide for under $600 in a long time anyways.

You cannot compare a Tikka or Savage to a Remington Alaskan. That is like arguing that a Camaro will run with a Corvette, yeah, it might, but it ain't.

Weathery UL's have the same issue as the Montana, hit or miss accuracy.

You're words were "better and cheaper". You came back with just "cheaper", other than the Weatherby which is comparative.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
you guys REALLY hyjacked this one.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JPro
Another route:

Brand new SPS SS 700
$575 (see gunsamerica, etc)
Sell bbl, stock
-$90
Quality SS barrel, installed, action refaced, lugs lapped, beadblast, your chambering specs, your contour specs, your crown specs, your overall length
$550
New Edge stock in your pattern choice, your pad choice, your LOP choice, your color choice, your inlet choice, your sling swivel choice
$520

That is about $50 under the $1,600 cost of a Alaskan Ti. Just enough jingle for a good trigger job. Could easily beat 6lbs.

Wonder which one most folks would take?

Ah ha, you forgot that you had to pay shipping to and from the smith that did all that work for $550 and shipping on the McMillan. You just ate up more than the $50 difference and went through a hell of a lot of PITA and waiting to maybe get the same thing for the same price and if you decide to sell it you will never get what you put into it. Frankencustoms never sell for what they cost while Remington Ti's sell for more than they retailed for 2 years ago.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You cannot compare a Tikka or Savage to a Remington Alaskan.
Certainly not for accuracy. The Tikka will kick the Remmy's butt! smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shipping is moot, who cares about the miniscule details?

Ask folks what they would rather have. The $1,600 custom that they design and wait 5 months for, or the $1,600 Alaskan Ti that Remington designed. Re-sale isn't my #1 priority regarding my rifle needs. If it were, I'd never shoot them.

If your factory barrel, B&C stock, and fancy Ti action make you happy, then you spent your $1,600 wisely. That being said, it ain't for everybody. Judging from the number of customs I see vs the number of Alaskan Ti's I see, it ain't for many....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Foxbat,

You know what - you are RIGHT! There is no other rifle like the Remington 700 Alaskan Titanium ...

because most companies go out of business when they try to sell overpriced products that don't do anything better than (much) less expensive products do (moreso when they replace a useful, reasonably-priced product in their line with an overpriced one that fills no useful niche).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDMartin53
you guys REALLY hyjacked this one.

Bob spread a little wealth amongst the faithful to dis the Rem Ti's.

didn't want anyone in possession of one to think they had something of value.

Shhhhhhh don't tell anyone wink

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those mountain guide rifles are seldom close to MOA let alone sub MOA.

shocked shocked shocked crazy crazy crazy confused confused confused

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With regards to the hi-jack, he did say "all of your contributions are welcome". (grin)

I'm not anti Titanium, I just think that Remington went the wrong way in redesigning the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nada like taking a good concept and wrecking it, go BIG GREEN

sure glad they made it where you can't lock your bolt too

freakin genius' at work there

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1akhunter,

Totally agree, especially on being able to lock the bolt. If someone can't unload his/her Rem 700 without an "accidental" discharge, then that person doesn't need to have a gun in his/her hands.

I have an old Rem 700 that I took in for a trigger job a couple years ago, and the gunsmith asked if I wanted him to change the safety configuration to meet the new Remington standard (at no charge because Big Green would pay for it). In a nice way (because I wanted to say, "Are you CRAZY?"), I told him I appreciated his attention to such matters but, most definitely NOT, because the old design is better because it allows one to lock the bolt.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well, were just going to have to agree to disagree fellas. My original point wasn't about running out and buying an Alaskan, in all seriousness I think Remington over priced them as well. I was just making the point that before someone paid $1850 for a regular Ti, an Alaskan at $1600 would be a better buy.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the price difference and weight advantages of the Kimber over the Rem, hell you could rebarrel ("IF YOU HAD TO") the Kimber and still end up with a lighter rifle for less money than the Rem. Seems like a no brainer to me!....grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Guess I should be glad to have these old Ti's hanging around for what the new Alaskan's are going for <g>.

[Linked Image]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Thanks JP; kinda funny how the Ti's bring on such a debate...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope Titanium is as good as they say, as I've got some Ti mesh in my abdominal wall. Better than chrome-moly steel. (grin)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TiLug
Guess I should be glad to have these old Ti's hanging around for what the new Alaskan's are going for <g>.

[Linked Image]

Dang! Looks like you got when the gettin was good.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (257 mag, 160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,519
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.