24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Theres one on gunbroker now with a buy now price of $899. Might be a good deal for someone looking for one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139683217

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've watched TV shows with people shooting big game in Africa with a 45-70 guide gun and buff bore loads. I think they shot Hippo, Buff and what not. Also I believe the Buffalo Bore ammo is a heat treated cast bullet traveling at what they determined to be an "optimal velocity" not just slung at the highest velocity they could squeeze out of the old girl. Not too slow, not too fast but just right. So, maybe they could be safe in the Spartan SXS. It's no mystery that a quality cast bullet with big shoulders put in the right spot can be quite an impressive and devastating load. With the way the 45-70 is loaded today I have no doubts in the hand of a experienced AFRICAN hunter it will get the job done. Is that me? I have no desire to go to Africa and hunt an animal the size of a house with anything. I don't even want to think of all the shots you need to get before you even get on the plane. Did that once in the military in preparation for desert warfare. Couldn't sit right for days. I'll stay right here in the good ol' US of A . If I want to hunt something big with my 45-70 I'll get a bear permit, they can get pretty big or go on a bison hunt. Enough gun? I believe W.D.M. Bell shot a few elephants with a 7X57 (275 Rigby) back in the day.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're looking for a knock-off Westley Richards double this ain't it.
Looks, shoots and handles like a pig on a shovel.
A waste of money.
The damn thing weighs 12 pounds !
Would make a great pumping handle for a car jack. sick

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Pricedo - I'm surprised to see this post is still here. I started it two years ago. To each their own I guess, but I still really enjoy my S/S Remington 45/70. No, it isn't a Westley Richards, but it it was never meant to be. What it is, is a S/S that is just a bunch of fun to shoot. I'm still getting about 1 1/2" groups at seventy five yards from both barrels. I've taken both black bear and elk with it in the last two years and still get a kick out of taking it to the range. It will never measure up to even the next level S/S, but one thing for sure, it's much more than a car jack handle and really, it only weighs about 8 lbs. with a 1.5-5X scope. By the way, how does a pig on a shovel handle?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Is that 1 1/2" grouping both barrels combined?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Used to own one of these rifles and still own one in 30-06. The 45-70 was quickly sold because the barrels are so thin near the muzzle that I could not shoot more than 2 rounds from each barrel and still hold on to them.
Baikal is pushing the safety envelope with the 45-70 if you ask me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
mauserand9mm - on my particular gun, the right bbl shoots about two inches higher than the left at that distance. Considering that 75yds is about as far as I would shoot this gun at game, it is not an issue.

Snowwolf - I understand what you are saying in regards to the thin bbls, but I don't really give it much thought. I just give it some time between shots. I'm not going to be shooting a bunch of shells thru it at any animals anyway. Also, at the pressures that the this 45/70 is made for (32,000) I really don't think it's a safety issue.

What everyone must understand is that this gun is really a poor mans double. That is what it was made for. If you buy one expecting it to do everything your Marlin Guide gun will do, you will be disappointed. If you buy it for what it is; a functional side by side big bore double that is just a fun gun to shoot then like me you will be happy with it. From what I have read, I probably hunt with mine more than most. But for the close range berry patch black bear hunting I do it's just perfect. Looking down those big bbls at a bear is as good as it gets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
2 inches at that distance is quite good for a double in this price range, and you are lucky to get a good one. I know someone that got good accuracy but poor regulation (about a foot separation at 50yards) with his Baikal 45/70 and used the adjuster and shims to fix the regulation but lost accuracy out of one barrel (went to 4 inches at 50 yards).

Still, okay for hunting - could aim off if required. I forget the brand, but there was/is a company that makes a double barrel 45/70 with two rear sights as standard to handle the regulation issue ie one rear sight per barrel.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MartyBoy
Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore loads a 430 grain LBT hardened bullet at 1900fps, with 3,500 ME, which he says can be used safely in the SPR22.

While Tim may say this round is "safe" to use in a Baikal I am sure he is referring to the pressure maximum. These litte rifles are not designed for such bone jarring recoil and you will end up with a broken pile of parts.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Snowwolfe - I would tent to agree with you on your last post. I'm pretty easy on mine. My reloads duplicate factory 405gr Rem loads and that's all I plan on using. If the gun breaks, I'll bet it will be hard to get parts for, if you can get them at all.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2 inches at that distance is quite good for a double in this price range, and you are lucky to get a good one. I know someone that got good accuracy but poor regulation (about a foot separation at 50yards) with his Baikal 45/70 and used the adjuster and shims to fix the regulation but lost accuracy out of one barrel (went to 4 inches at 50 yards).

Still, okay for hunting - could aim off if required. I forget the brand, but there was/is a company that makes a double barrel 45/70 with two rear sights as standard to handle the regulation issue ie one rear sight per barrel.

David Pedersoli I believe made something similar that was offered through Cabela's as well as a 72 cal BP double.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
W
W
Any new comments on these rifles ? I just bougth a new one in 45/70 should be here by Tuesday. Thanks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought one about 3 years ago. I had a gunsmith go through the triggers and the cocking mechanism so it would stay fully open without having to be held open - otherwise it took nearly three hands to load it. After that it now stays fully open when cocked without having to be held open and still retains the "half open" characteristic.

I've got a Nikon 1-4x20 mounted on it in a 22 rim fire base that has a set screw that happens to fall into the grove at the back of the rib - never has shot it loose and I've shot it a lot.

Played with a boat load of different loads and finally settled on just plain old Rem 405's at 1600fps. Got it regulated (took a lot of playing around with the jack screw and ..... a vice and large wrench - it is Russian after all) so that both barrels shot into a little more than a 2" circle at 100 yds.

Took it to Namibia last year to "blood" it on Gemsbok and Warthog. Don't know what happened between the last day on the range and the the proof shooting at the PH's range five days later but neither one of us could put both barrels on a typing sheet size target at 50 meters. Ended up just putting it back in the case. That was back in Aug and I still haven't looked at it. Guess this winter I'll get it out and try to sort out what happened and take it with me on next June's trip to Namibia.

The nicest part of it is the ability to use the jack screw to adjust the regulation to the load you want to shoot instead of having to adjust your loads to shoot where the barrels are regulated like on the high end doubles.

In any case it is fun as hell to shoot and I would use it on any plains game in Africa out to 150 yds and pretty much anything in North America.

Bottom line is once you get it sorted out how you want it (it will make you crazy in the process) you will have a ball with it.

W
W
Thanks for the info. m3taco. Antbody else have any experience with the rifle ?

A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
wbyman - did you get your rifle. I'd like to hear how you like it. I didn't use mine for hunting this year, but I'm still having a ball at the range. Let us know what you think.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While they work I would certainly consider them crude. One of my friends was invited to the birthday party hosted by Mr. Kalashnikov who developed the AK47. They hunted his estate for Red Deer with these double rifles. He was able to purchase a couple & sold me one. While I killed a couple of boar with mine the stock is a 2X4, action is stiff & crude, accuracy is poor, difficult to scope, & the regulation system is rube goldberg. Other than these deficiencies its a great rifle.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
tbear - if you are unhappy with your rifle, I'm sure you could sell it in about one second to one of the others like myself who are having a ball with ours. Then you could take what you get for this one, add several thousand dollars, and get one that you will be happy with. Or, you could accept that it was never meant to be a high dollar rifle, work up a load that is reasonably accurate (even the highest priced doubles have their own "special" load), and understand that the action will work its way in after a few boxes of shells. By the way, Warne scope mounts work well, as I'm sure many others will. When you look at it that way, you are right, it's a fine rifle. Just sayin.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have taken the rifle to several gun shows & there was no interest at any price. I work at many gun shows for our local SCI chapter & even displayed it several times in our booth. I wish you the best with yours, but in my area there is absolutely no interest. I have used a 416 Rigby bolt gun for African hunting & at this stage of my life will probably never get back to Africa again so a double isn't in my plans.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
P
pod Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
ive had one for some time and i am well pleased with it. i regulated it at 50 yds. perfect 2 in. parellel spread. its not
as nice as my others but a great sxs dr. for the money. i also fitted mine with an 4x scope with detachable mts. by the way i also bought a remington hard case for it. a very nice combo.

A
Abner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
pod - I bought a hard case made for a takedown gun for mine and fitted it with a 1.5-5X20 scope. I'll never hunt outside the U.S., but this gun has, for me, added a touch of Africa on my bear and pig hunts.

tbear - I see you are an NRA instructor. Thank you for your part in protecting our gun rights and teaching our future generations.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (338reddog, 21, 308ld, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 11 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 504 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,450
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.