24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I want to pick up another handgun and really like the Ruger single-six 32H&Rs. My dad has two and I reload for him. I figured I might as well get one for my self as long as I'm reloading the rounds.

Gunbroker has several of the birds head grip models and the standard grip models, both with the vaquero sights.

Two questions: How are the bird head grips for shooting comfort? They look kinda small and awkward.
How about the vaquero sights? Are they almost as good as the standard sights?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kodiak

I used to have a birdshead style grip on a .45 Colt single action. It was different, but managable. If it's not comfortable in your hand, you won't shoot it well, so hold one before you order one.

Vaquero sights? They offer the exact same aiming picture as "any" other sight. A rear notch and a front post. "Precision" is no less possible with the fixed style sight as with an adjustable sight. "Accuracy" on the other hand, is another matter. I have a Colt style single action revolver that is incredibly "precise," meaning it puts all its rounds into little groups repeatedly.

However, it places those groups about 2" to the left of my aiming point, so in order to make it "accurate" for me, I will have to do one of a number of things, or a combination of those things.

So, betting back to your question, they are equally as good as any other sight for precision, however, they are less adaptable to accurate shooting than an adjustable sight.

Now, having said that, I have a little Ruger Bearcat with the same sights as you are referring to, that was perfectly accurate for my grip/eye/ammo right out of the box and I've killed several squirrels with head shots with it. Didn't need to change a thing.

It's possible, that you will encounter the same thing. But, if you don't, you can tweak your sights after arriving at your favorite load to bring your impact point into line with your sight picture.

First, you must find where your sweet load is striking, and take it from there.

But, if you're unwilling to take a file to the steel of your revolver, you might just go ahead and buy a gun with adjustable sights.

Good luck.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had tried the birdshead style grips and I do not like them. I don't like the way they look or feel.

What advantage or reason do they make them?

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
If it's not comfortable in your hand, you won't shoot it well, so hold one before you order one.

I agree. I think it's a very comfortable grip. There is essentially zero recoil in a .32 Single Six. My wife has really bad arthritis in her hands and that's the only gun she likes to shoot. Because the grip is a whole bunch of rounded edges it seems you have some flexibility as to exactly how to hold it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I really enjoy the 32 Mag and have a few Ruger Single Sixes in the same. My favorite is pictured below. The tweaked grip frame feels perfect in my hand. I require adjustable sights on my hunting guns as I like to play with different loads so I pass on the Vaquero style guns. In fact the one Vaquero I had, a 45 Colt Bisley, now wears S&W adjustable sights.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i love the looks of the birds head grip vaquero, especially with case colored frame & white grip caps.

But I held one & I knew it unfortunately was not for me.

grip is too small for my hand. frown

they sure look cool tho.

beretta makes one called the stampede marshall. similar to the ruger birds head grip but it fills my hand much better.

my prob with the beretta is that the case coloring is fake with a clear coat finish over it.

but that stampede marshall grip I could live with.

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 1st SA revolver I purchased was a Ruger Vaquero, blue/case
colored, 4 5/8" barrel, with black Micarta Birdshead grips, in 45 Colt.

I bought this new revolver because it was on "Clearence" and mostly
because I thought it to be a thing of great "Beauty".

I then later found that I shot this revolver very accurately. So did a friend-
who was at first angry at me for getting a handgun with a grip configuration like that.
But after shooting it, he went out and bought one too. (Liking the gun AND the price.)

This is the ONLY handgun that I have hunted with, taken game with, and have eaten of ...
... (I'm not going to say- what "kind" of game.)

Later, in a CDNN catalog- my friend found they were selling Ruger Single-Six revolovers,
blue/case colored, black micarta Birdshead grips, chambered in 32 H&R Mag.

We each got one, they are much fun and very accurate. Both of us have different size hands
and there is also quite a difference in frame size between the .32 Cal. Single-Six and
the 45 Colt Vaquero.

But, both of us find both Ruger models to fit and function well and comfortably.
We both believe the "Birdshead grip" to be only an advantage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO the reason is purely cosmetic. The original Birdshead grips were on Colt Lightenings and Thunderers from the 19th century. (Model 1877's.) These were handy little pocket pistols with complicated mechanisms that broke easy and fixed hard (still do). In fact the only guy I know that can fix one is a shade-tree gunsmith in Tulsa that is rough as a cob and higher than he//. He's also as old as Methusala and maybe just as dead by now, as its been several years since I saw him. At any rate, these were pretty popular guns in the old west. They look almost identical to a SAA only smaller and with the grip. So people probably wanted a modern, more repairable gun, that looked like these.

The full-size versions look like them but are larger and no such gun existed on the frontier. The smaller ones such as Uberti's current small-frame version in 38 Spec. look very, very close to the originals and differ only in mechanism and the fact that the originals were double action and the current offerings are single, of course. I've thought about getting my wife one. They are very pretty little guns and fit small hands well.

There was at least one other gun with Birdshead type grips but the 1877's were probably the most prolific. In fact, there may have been some that pre-dated the 1877's, so maybe "original" is a bad choice of words. The Merwin Hulbert's come immediately to mind. The grips on the Lightenings look more like today's though.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I really dig the way the Birdshead grips look and might just pick one up in 45LC (4-5/8ths) one of these days.

CY - Thanks for the background info.....it's always very interesting to hear the historical perspective on different rifles/pistols!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tony
I really enjoy the 32 Mag and have a few Ruger Single Sixes in the same. My favorite is pictured below. The tweaked grip frame feels perfect in my hand. I require adjustable sights on my hunting guns as I like to play with different loads so I pass on the Vaquero style guns. In fact the one Vaquero I had, a 45 Colt Bisley, now wears S&W adjustable sights.

[Linked Image]

Tony
What did you do to fit the bisley hammer with the standard frame?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool looking revolver Sir, ya got a winner there IMHO.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Stainless Birdshead .32 mag a couple years ago right after they stopped making them. Love the gun and the way it feels. It's my favorite gun. I have wide hands and the grips size doesn't bother me.

That being said, it will be the last fixed sight gun I ever buy. I hate the lack of flexibility and not being able to easily correct for windage. Tried correcting for 2" of windage and now mine needs a trip to Ruger. frown I'd have it redone for adjustable sights if it wouldn't ruin the looks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chris Brice; 02/28/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's my custom 41 Special, that I've posted several times. It is based on an early flattop (4-digit serial number!) that was a basket case. Clements Custom Guns turned it into this. It handles loads that nudge into 41 Magnum territory with aplomb. Aplomb does not include pain. The grip is not for everybody, I'm sure. But everbody who shoots this one loves it. 'Nuff said.

[Linked Image]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Ruger Vaquero, Black Micarta Birdshead Grip, (uncataloged) 4 5/8" barrel, blue/case colored finish, in .45 Colt.

I later obtained a matching "Cousin" Single-Six to it in .35 H&R Magnum. I think these Six-guns are unique and I love 'em.

A large-handed friend also has the same pair, except his .45 Colt Vaquero has a shorter barrel.

My friend strongly disliked my .45 Colt Vaquero until he shot mine. He then changed his mind and purchased his own. He later found the Single-Six .32 Mags. discontinued and for sale from CDNN- and we both ordered.

Both of us treasure these revolvers and feel the Birdshead grip to be an advantage. I have always liked the looks of this grip design. I know that many handgunners do not ... and respect that.

But decide for yourself. "IF" you get one and don't like it ... I don't think you'd ever need to worry about getting "stuck with it" ... I have probably been asked more times by a friend or somebody: "If you would ever consider selling that Birdshead Ruger you got ... ???" ... than any other gun I own.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oops.

I just noticed I told the "same" old story here a month ago.

Thought this was a NEW thread and worth repeating.

... sorry.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just scribe the original hammmer's "hump" on the Bisley hammer and go to it with a Dremel first (slowly...) then files and emery cloth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.