Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes there are some very serious problems. I just didn't want to see the thread turn into a lot of ethnic bashing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In the Inupiat culture, traditionally, "learn by doing" is emphasized, while learning from advise is not. This is very good in a 1 to 3 family-group subsistence situation, where disapproval/banishment/ basic survival carries heavy weight. Does not translate all that well into a village/Western culture setting with no enforcement presence to speak of and survival margins are wider. The true subsistence lifestyle they lead for 10,000 years is pretty darned grim, and it's lessons aren't easily shed.

On the flip side (western culture) are "teachers" who have never done anything but go to school....

The older village hunters- 40 an up- advised the younger ones (sub 30) that "If you don't respect the animals, they will go away". That was about as far as they could culturally push it, and damned if they weren't right! There is very little western enforcement of game laws presence out there in the villages, and lacking the banishment/disapproval club, the young bucks just don't give a chit. They, as with similar age groups in western culture, are rather contemptuous of those ignorant old farts.

Mark Twain stated once that when he was 17 he thought his Old Man was the dumbest man in the world. When he came back from college 4 years later, he was amazed at what the old guy had learned!

Guess how I learned much of my present outlooks/values (I can't say wisdom). Damned if those old farts weren't mostly right! smile

And now I are one.

Which brings to mind this "elder" business. Under a subsistence lifestyle, it took smarts, skill, quickness, and just plain luck to live long enough to become an "elder", who was rightly revered for their knowledge of the past- climate, weather, ice, hunting conditions, relationships, etc.

Nowadays, any fool can live to old age..... which is considerably older than even 100 years ago. And be revered.

This is a practice that should be adopted by western culture! smile

Last edited by las; 03/01/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This was a fun thread to read...

if nothing else, to compare what casual hunters in the lower 48 think is adequate.. vs what people who actually hunt to survive think is adequate...

those that hunt to survive, use the same ideology that we who don't need big calibers use, and is scoffed at by the proponents of Elmer Keith's "use enough gun"... eg. shot placement for instance...

this is a great thread!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Out of Kugluktuk I saw 22 Hornet for up to muskox and 243 for everything larger with of course some overlap.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I read an article some years back about a guy on a guided hunt for Moose. He was in a small boat going up a river with an Indian or Eskimo guide. The hunter was carrying a 300 WM, and the guide had a 25-20 pump. The hunter remarked to the guide that a 25-20 was pretty light for Moose; the guide replied, too small for white man, just right for Indian.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.