24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Do you guys remember that JB article a year or so ago about rifle stock fit? Anyway, I could be a poster child for the Monte Carlo style stock. (Sloping shoulders, long neck, and really high cheek bones.) One day I plan on getting a McMillan made with a high cheeck piece, but not right now. After I read the article I went and bought a slip on neoprene cheek piece with different foam inserts that go under the neoprene. It does help the fit, but it shifts around during use.
What do you guys do to add a cheek piece?
I saw the Karstens online. Does anyone have any experience with one? I'm worried about it changing the balance. Does anyone know how much they weigh? I can't find that online.
I don't want a permanent cheeck piece because I don't know how I'd pull the bolts to clean the guns.
Yes, I know the Karstens aren't pretty, but I'm thinking they might be useful. Plus, my nine-year-old boy will hunt in SA with a Ruger compact and the adjustable Karstens would probably help him, too.
I don't just want to try one and then not like it because I'd be left with holes in the rifle stocks.
If you guys don't like something like the Karstens, what do you recommend? Foam and electric tape?
If it matters, my stocks are black plastic or the green laminate.
I'm hoping for some input regarding others experiences.
Thanks.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've probably installed a couple of dozen of the Karstens to various composite stocks. The last one a few of days a go on a Springfield M1A. They tend to work quite well for an add on.

The cheek piece is installed to provide clearance so the bolt can be removed for cleaning. They are made of an ABS type material and too me don't feel like they affect balance much. Of course, I don't have much of a sensitive side so I wouldn't notice such things. laugh

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take a look at this guy's cheek pieces. Lever can/will do products to your spec's. I have 4 of his buttcovers and am happy with the work.

Scroll down toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_buttstock_covers.htm

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dons1
I have 4 of his buttcovers and am happy with the work.
Ooooo, I wouldn't get caught uttering THAT word whilst strolling down Hennepin Ave. in downtown Murderapolis...

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dons1, I looked at that site and those look very nice. I went ahead and ordered the Karstens, though. I thought it would be easier to adjust back and forth. It showed today, two days after I ordered it. On my fish scale it looks like a hair under 8 ounces with everything. I'll have it put on in a few weeks.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to do a little practicing first. Take a 2X4 and make a series of marks in exactly the same spot on each side. Mount the piece of wood in a vise and with an electric hand drill and a .125 drill bit, see if you can consistently hit the corresponding mark on the blind side. They say you can get close and wallow the holes out to make it align, but that just looks poor. Better to practice first. Remember, perfect practice makes perfect! laugh

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Malm. i have a friend who was a cabinet maker. He has a shop full of machines and knows how to use them. To play it safe, I think I'll just ask him to install it!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.