Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
temmi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Last night (3/11/2009) I was living vicariously through Craig Boddington by watching �Tracks Across Africa�, not surprisingly he was hunting Cape Buffalo.

What was surprising... he was using a Lever Gun. If he gave any information on the rifle, cartridge or load I missed it.

He did have to shoot the Bull several times� at least 4 at 100 yrds.

That said, do any of you have any additional information on what, the rifle, cartridge or load he used?

Thanks

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched it too, with some interest in what the gun was. It was a Winchester 1886 copy, whether Browning or Winchester, I don't know. It also had a recoil pad put on, as it didn't have a stock crescent butt as it should have. It also had a white bead front sight and a white diamond on the rear sight.

I found it interesting he shot the bull looking straight at him with the first shot. The subsequent follow up shots were while the bull was in front of the herd. I have been on plenty American Bison hunts and have seen cast bullets pass through 2 buffalo with a 405 grain bullet in a 45-70.

Evidently there wasn't much concern for pass-through shots, as he made several. The buffalo kept on running, and they didn't show it going down, they only showed it when it was finally dead. It could have been finished by the PH, I couldn't tell from the video.

I guess that the Winchester he was shooting was in a 45-70 as I am not familiar with any reproductions in other calibers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I believe that was a Doug Turnbull rifle in 475 Turnbull.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
He had an article not long ago about using the .475 Turnbull in a Winchester lever gun on buff. Seemed pretty impressed with the performance of the big Barnes bullets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by new_guy
I believe that was a Doug Turnbull rifle in 475 Turnbull.

Yep, the first shot was dead center on chest plus he took four more....jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I found the use of the lever on TV interesting too, but what impressed me the most is he showed himself shooting and losing a Nyala. How many would do that on TV,.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting stunt anyway...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was it a "stunt" because he used a lever gun or because the cartridge wasn't "enough"??

I've read of buffalo requiring 5-6-7 shots with big bores........was that a "stunt" too?

Cancer Sucks
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes. If you subscribe to the African Sporting Gazette, there is a good article in there on the very subject. Yes, buffalo often-times require multiple shots with adequate cartridges (stand by for yet another pissing contest) but a lever (or a single shot for that matter) in MY opinion is not the best tool for DG and neither are lever action cartridges, if they were Africa would be FULL of lever actions and not bolts or doubles. And I don't care what Garrett says. jorge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been on hand when two different buff were shot head on in the center of the chest. Both took off at full gallop and needed extra "persuading". One was taken with a 286 Barnes solid from a 9.3 X 62 and the other was from a .458 WM with 500 grain SP.

Post mortem exam on both buff (one was a Cape buffalo the other was a NW Red Buff) showed the first shot passed over the heart and took out a good bit of plumbing, and would have been 100% fatal. The buffalo just didn't realize it. It might take 60-120-180 seconds for the brain to run out of oxygen while they run around. That will seem like a lifetime if you were the one that pulled the trigger and wondered why he didn't drop in his tracks.

A high chest shot taken from the proper angle will clip the spine and they will fall like a dynamited bridge. I've seen that too. Very impressive, but not done intentionally.

I'd use a .444 Marlin with 260 grain Barnes solids on undisturbed buff not in the thick stuff. I'm certain it would do the job if I did my part. I also tend to shoot buff until I run out of ammo, even as they lie bellowing their last. I had one charge my trackers when he was one his last breathes, but managed to get up and charge before he gave up the ghost. It wil make a religious man out of you.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This just in. Collegue of mine preparing .500 NE (3") rounds with Barnes XLC 570 grainers. He works in Tanzania (last year PH appreantiseship). Next to the "smurfs" a 440 grain .458 hard cast FN (with meplat that dwarfs Garrett) for our Marlin .45-70s.
I still use mine in AK. He did decide for Buff and Elefant to get something heavier.

[Linked Image]

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love Barnes, but those blue things are Fug-ly!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
I love Barnes, but those blue things are Fug-ly!

Yup. I'm into good looking bullets, like Swifts! smile Hey Jeff, I found a Venezuelan FN built sporterized Mauser for 250 bucks. thinking about buying it for a future say 300 H&H? smile jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
470 Nitro express 500 grain bullet @ 2000 fps

475 Turnbull 500 grain bullet @ 1900 fps

Think a 'buff would notice any difference at 50 yards??

Not saying a lever gun would be my first choice.........but the one used by Boddington isn't your average lever gun......

Friend of mine killed an elephant with a 50 Alaskan lever gun......no problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a steal these days. Can't beat a Mauser action, that is what bolt guns are all about. You won't ever be disapointed with the Swifts. Two weeks and I'm off to Argentina, without blue bullets!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, they work. We are young. Them bullets were cheap. What can I say.

Gonehuntin,

I doubt any buff would notice. But to get .475 Turnbull 500 grains to 1900 fps it needs nifty loading and a long barrel. Lets not try and make them Levers something they are not. I love them, and stick to my Marlins (my posts bear (ha) proof of this).

But really, there are more potent cartridges and more suitable vehicles for DG in Africa.

That said, I will get me a buff with me Marlin one day... stand by.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you noticed, he also had his heym .450/.470 as back-up!!!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cmg

Gonehuntin,

I doubt any buff would notice. But to get .475 Turnbull 500 grains to 1900 fps it needs nifty loading and a long barrel. Lets not try and make them Levers something they are not. I love them, and stick to my Marlins (my posts bear (ha) proof of this).

But really, there are more potent cartridges and more suitable vehicles for DG in Africa.

That said, I will get me a buff with me Marlin one day... stand by.

That info comes straight from Turnbull's website........

http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20788

I'm certain "there are more potent cartridges and more suitable vehicles for DG in Africa".........I have bolt guns in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 win mag........any of which is above and beyond the 475 Turnbull........my point is that the 475 Turnbull isn't in the same category as the old 45-70 and taking a buff with one isn't what I'd call a stunt.........

Cancer Sucks
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a film wherein two buffalo took 13 and 9 shots apiece with .470s and 500 N.E. rifles for whatever thats worth. It just happens I suppose.

The 45-70 and the 45-90s are grand calibers but use them for what they are good at and thats deer IMO...I have used both on deer and they were very good killers, but on the elk I have shot and seen shot, they performed pretty poorly and I filmed most of those hunts..the elk made too many tracks and died to slowly.

If I were going to hunt Cape Buffalo with a lever gun and I would if I had one in one of the big 50 calibers. I suppose that would be a 50-140 and thats balistically minimum IMO..

Turnbulls .475 is a tad short of my personal requirement, but perhaps close enough, but it didn't work to well in this case..I would like to see it get a real test, shoot about a dozen bulls and then decide..

I'm not saying it can't be done with any caliber, heck I shot buffalo with the 7x57 and 8x57 and know of one buffalo killed with a 22 hornet. If you use it correctly any caliber will work if you don't you may get stomped to death..I like that edge you get with a sho nuff big bore.

I am more cautious now than I used to be..I have seen the devil on his own turf with bloodshot eyes as big as saucers and intent on stomping the living s--t out of me...they are a determined foe and you have to give the devil his due, he is formidable any way you cut it and you better shoot straight and be shooting enough gun to stop him or your nuts might end up in your mouth when he hooks you in the crotch and tosses you 10 ft. in the air..My good friend and PH, Johann Calitz who has hunted for years got into just such a mess a couple of years ago and that 10 Ft toss is what saved his life as he got hung up in a tree over the bull, but he was on the bad list for months..Then Keith Atchesons wife got hammered really hard and near died just a couple of years ago. It can happen and being properly gunned is the best insurance that I know of...

Last edited by atkinson; 03/12/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
470 NE MV is 2150 or so. Again, if they were so good how come there isn't a SINGLE PH who uses one. NOT ONE. Ever wonder why?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.