Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Adobe_Walls
Partitions and other hi-tech projectiles only improve the potential terminal results.

THis is true. Had the high-tech projectiles come along prior to the belted magnums maybe the mags would have had a lesser following.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been taking elk with a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds since 2004 at various distances - one shot kills. My elk this past season pretty much flipped over backwards after being hit and never got up again - double lung. Great caliber. I'm very impressed with it and the performance of the Accubonds - so I would say 150gr Partitions would do the job. Shot placement.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm torn between 160 Accubonds and 150 Partitions in my 284 win next fall for my first ever elk hunt. Both are shooting under an inch.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not familiar with .284, but if the MV is 3000 fps or less, I'd go Accubond. I guess every weight/caliber has the potential to be a little different- jacket thickness and so on- but I've seen several versions of the AB perform beautifully on deer and elk...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
S
The 270 Winchester is a fine elk rifle in hilly country and mountains. I shot my first bull in Southwest Washington with a Ruger 77 in .270 caliber. It was a 500-pound bull and he ended up on my dinner table. The key to hunting and self-defense is this: Do your job of placing your shots and the bullet will do the rest.

Were I hunting in a flatter area where greater range is needed, I would probably use a .300 WSM or .270 WSM.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
gentlemen... just wanted to drop a note (and I will have to find the info again to back myself up here), but I seem to recall a professional african hunter that swore by the 7x57Mauser As I recall, this individual put down something on the order of 160 elephants in his time, with that cartridge.Not much difference between that and a .270. My single argument, gentlemen, is the case is not the cartridge... it is the placement. My favorite rifle is a savage model 99, which I have been told is no good for even deer, and kills without fail. A killing shot is not one that is made using the latest Uber-magnum, that flattens the animal into the ground. Many hunters forget that in most cases,a Magnum impairs shots, based solely on they are flinch developers, and a man can only shoot as good as his rifle does. If you are waiting for the bone to crunch in your shoulder every time you pull the trigger, it does not matter how accurate the rifle is, YOU won't be accurate with it.
P.S.- for all the 7mm magnum followers,... I have one too... and the ballistic gain over a .270 is practically none- 200-300 FPS? Do you guys really think an animal can tell the difference if you put the bullet in the right place?

Last edited by wyckkedblue; 03/05/09.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My favorite 270 cal Federal 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw

Do as I say do, not as I do!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can not kill elk with a 270 win you still will not be able to with any other cal. Why, because it's all shot placement. There are almost 21,000 members on the camp fire, I'll bet less than 10% 2,100 of them have ever shot at a target at 300 yrds let alone have any right to shoot at a game animal at 300 yrds or more.
I have no problems with long range shooters that put the time, money and pratice in to it.
I have a real problem when I read post were people say you need at least a XYZ cal because you may only see 1 animal at long range and you must be able to shoot 500 yrds.
What you must know what is your limitations.

Gut shoot a animal at 20 yrds is just as bad as at 500 yrds or more.
Next time you go to the range.
run 100 yrds
sit down at the bench at shoot 4 rounds in 1 minute while your still winded.
That will give you a quick lesen in just how good of a shooter you really are.

By the way I've kill no less than 9 elk with a 270 win most with 130 factory rounds. They die the same as the ones I've shot with the 375H&H and the 358 norma mag.

2 words
SHOT PLACEMENT

Last edited by gotlost; 03/11/09.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Originally Posted by cottontopbill
My favorite 270 cal Federal 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw

Mine too, those things are awesome! I've seen 4 or 5 bulls killed with that ammo and it's 100% lethal. Good stuff, good stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gotlost

Next time you go to the range.
run 100 yrds
sit down at the bench at shoot 4 rounds in 1 minute while your still winded.
That will give you a quick lesen in just how good of a shooter you really are.

I hear people recommend such things but looking back on my 27 years of hunting Colorado big game, such antics bear no similarity to the hunting I have done. There is not a single instance that comes to mind where running even a short distance would have yielded a shot I couldn�t get with a more sedate approach.

The other side of the coin is that when shots are long you often have much more time to set up. These days my favorite targets are 400 yard clay pigeons and the steel gongs at 500 and 600 yards. 500 yards just isn�t very long any more, although I have still not taken game (or attempted it) past 350 yards.

2 words
SHOT PLACEMENT

+1

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would agree that if the game is predators, running isn't ever going to get you a second shot that you could make.

I have killed several deer, where I spooked or saw deer topping one ridge, and I ran to get a shot at them.

Have ran to cut off elk when I knew where they where going.

If you aren't willing to run when applicable you will limit the shots you will get.

As a side note. You will definately need a tree or be able to get prone, because the chance of you holding the gun still is slim.

This isn't how I sight guns in or anything like that though. When I have guided, it is real hard to get clients to understand that when it is time to go it is time to go. The clients that where in good enough shape, and said ok usually got that second chance I am talking about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I've never given such advice, the guys that do recommend running are not trying to simulate you running after game but to simulate your heart pounding and the excitement when faced with a potential shot.

But to answer your question...the 270 w/ 150s is enough for elk provided shot placement is good.

RH

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Three words: 150 grain Partition...

laugh laugh laugh

ooooh, you smartass.......that's good......

I just finally got around to reading this thread again.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
It's pretty hard to get enough H4831 into a .270 Win case to get in trouble with 130 or 150 gr.
YMMV, but I doubt it. smile

Well, actually it IS possible.......take my word on this.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
I hear people recommend such things but looking back on my 27 years of hunting Colorado big game, such antics bear no similarity to the hunting I have done. There is not a single instance that comes to mind where running even a short distance would have yielded a shot I couldn�t get with a more sedate approach.

The other side of the coin is that when shots are long you often have much more time to set up. These days my favorite targets are 400 yard clay pigeons and the steel gongs at 500 and 600 yards. 500 yards just isn�t very long any more, although I have still not taken game (or attempted it) past 350 yards.

I think it depends on the type of hunting you do. When I guide caribou hunters, for example, we're constantly running around because we're hunting an animal that is always feeding, and they travel while they feed. So you play spot and stalk, but it's more like spot and try-and-cut-off. Even walking over the tundra, they can move faster than a man jogging. If they're headed away from you, you don't even bother.

I've also hunted deer and elk that were traveling and unaware of my presence when I've had to run to get into position before the animal arrived where they were going.

Being in good physical shape is never a bad idea.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Colorado elk this year, I could have taken a catnap practically while waiting for the shot I wanted.

However, I DID run after my Oregon bull. I ran about 40 yards or so after him, and jumped up on a log, and had time to get my feet set before he started going up the relativaly open ridge I'd hoped he would go up...

So it happens.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed my first bull at 20 yrds while trying to make up 500 yrds on another bull. It was a late Sep hunt back in the 80ds. we were moving fast through some timber on a game trail and as near as I can tell this bull mistook us for another bull come in to his cows. there was no time for a rest. I was luck to get stopped myself. It was all just a flash.
I've never ran into a situation like that since, But many times since then I've had to close the gap on game to get the job done.
Now add adrenalin, elevation, and the fact I'm not a young kid anymore and them hill get steeper every year.
All that 100 yrd dash does is give you a way to learn to control your breathing and make the shot.

As a side note many years before Jack Oconor had kill a Wyoming Big Horn Sheep On the other side of the drainage were I killed my 1st bull. any one happen to know the name of the Drainage.

Last edited by gotlost; 03/13/09.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gotlost - I'm going to guess Mammoth Hollow, just east of Commissary Ridge.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 85 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.