Print Thread
Hop To
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Remember in the 1980s when there seemed to be a concerted effort by some in the gun writing community to drum up support for the 280 Remington? I am not saying that there was a meeting somewhere in a dark, smoke-filled room where writers hatched a plan to resurrect the 280. But certainly more than just a few writers picked up its banner and ran with it. And you know what, I believe it helped the 280 tremendously.

I would like to see some writers do for the 222 Rem. Mag. what they did for the 280 Rem. Look, I realize that the 222 Mag. is never going to outshine the 223 Rem. But the similarities between the 280's resurgence and the possible resurgence of the 222 Mag. are striking.

First of all, the main competition for the 280 was/is the vastly more popular 270 Win. The 270 was loaded to higher pressures than the 280. I could be wrong, but even though the 222 Rem. Mag. holds more powder, the 223 Rem. is loaded to higher pressures. Even so, there was a niche carved out for the 280 and the same could happen for the 222 Mag.

Secondly, it's only been in the last couple of years that the many shooters have gone to fast twist, heavy bullets in .224 and the 222 Mag's case looks like a natural for such applications when compared to the 223.

With everything that is going on today with ammo being scarce, having another .224 caliber rifle on the market would be a good thing. Those who adore the 223 would have their cartridge and others might gravitate towards the 222 Mag. Also consider that, at least it seems this way, varmint/predator hunting is at an all time high right now. If ever there was a time to reintroduce the 222 Mag it is now.

Maybe it's pure futility on my part but I would love to see the 222 Rem. Mag. make its way back into the lineup of several major manufacturers. Even if it were only for a couple of years, it would get some more brass into circulation and loaded cartridges as well. Hell, I would be happy with a limited run by Remington. Again, if ever there was a time to do it that time is now or at least when there is a perception of a better economy on the horizon.

Anyway....

Landrum

GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The main reason for fast twist heavy bullets, at least those from 69 to 90 grains, is target shooting in the service rifle class. An AR15 firing the .223 is the only legal rifle for these matches unless you want to fire an M1A in .308 or an even older rifle in 30-06.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good idea, and good narrative.
I'm on your side regarding the excellent 222 Magnum.
I have a pair of older Remington 722's chambered for this cartridge. Both are very accurate and very easy to load for. Just bought 250 new 222 Mag cases, sorted them by weight and prep'ed them.
I've always liked the duce mag better than the 223 because of its longer case neck. Case capacity wise, they are nearly identical however. So, I would doubt that resurecting that fine old Mike Walker chambering would get a lot of traction today.
However, I would LOVE seeing Remington make the 222 Mag as one of their annual classics. I see that as very doable.
Also, Nosler custom loads the 222 Mag for Midway and their ammo is superbly accurate; 26.5 grains of H-4895, with Nosler's 50 grain BT and Winchester small rifle primers. I've never shot factory ammo that is as accurate as this is; five shots at 100 yards into 1/2" groups with both 722's, not once, but twice for the very first groups shot with each rifle.
Also bought a 222 Mag chambering reamer, for the future... grin
When I first started benchrest shooting in 1970, there were many rifles in competition chambered for the 222 Mag; it's that accurate.
Let's keep the fire burning..

Don

Last edited by DMB; 02/14/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother has two Sako Vixens in 222 mag. Shot the barrel out of the one and had another 222 mag tube screwed on. The other is a mint condition safe queen that deserves a more useful existence but he isn't willing to let it go.

He is a gun nut with FAR too many rifles, the Vixen is the one most always carried on the PA woodchuck hunts. A Vixen in 222 Mag is a near perfect carrying varmint rifle.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Landrum,

I'm glad to see you have an appreciation for the round. It has 223 Ackley capacity (maybe a smidge more), excellent barrel life, accuracy and that nice long neck. It does much better over a std 223 than gleaning from a manual would show, especially with bullets 60 grs and over.

I have a Sako 1-14 and a Rem. 1-9, just recently recieved. A 5 shot, 52 gr. bullet group from the 1-14:
[Linked Image]

And six rounds; 62 TSX and 69 Nosler Custom Comp from the 1-9:

[Linked Image]

Both were with new, unfired, unsorted Nosler and Remington cases. Even 204 cases are readily adapted to a snug fit without fireforming.

Much as I agree with you, there is no way it will come back to any degree in a production gun. Why? Too much 223 ammo that looks like the 222 Magnum and could accidentally be fired in them and too many lawyers to go to bat for doing so.

I would be glad if I were wrong.

Now, if someone would just standardize the 22-204... whistle It wouldn't hurt to have SAAMI std. pressures at 204 levels the first time around either.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shot a 222 mag for years, great round.

What I think would even be better is to neck up the 204 Ruger to
.224 caliber in a 1/8 twist.

Just seat a .224 BT bullet and your gtg.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HawkI
Landrum,

I'm glad to see you have an appreciation for the round. It has 223 Ackley capacity (maybe a smidge more), excellent barrel life, accuracy and that nice long neck. It does much better over a std 223 than gleaning from a manual would show, especially with bullets 60 grs and over.

I have a Sako 1-14 and a Rem. 1-9, just recently recieved. A 5 shot, 52 gr. bullet group from the 1-14:
[Linked Image]

And six rounds; 62 TSX and 69 Nosler Custom Comp from the 1-9:

[Linked Image]

Both were with new, unfired, unsorted Nosler and Remington cases. Even 204 cases are readily adapted to a snug fit without fireforming.

Much as I agree with you, there is no way it will come back to any degree in a production gun. Why? Too much 223 ammo that looks like the 222 Magnum and could accidentally be fired in them and too many lawyers to go to bat for doing so.

I would be glad if I were wrong.

Now, if someone would just standardize the 22-204... whistle It wouldn't hurt to have SAAMI std. pressures at 204 levels the first time around either.

Hawk,

Great groups!!
The 222 Mag is just a great round to load for, very forgiving, everything you feed it seems to shoot well, as does its shorter cased brother, the standard 222.
Someone mentioned the Sake Vixen chamber for the 222 Mag. I don't think there has been another rifle made that floats my boat better than that rifle. I drool when I see pix of it.
Incidentally, the groups shot by the 722's I mentioned above look just like yours.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks Don!

I cut off my Sako HB to 21" and put it in a McMillan stock. Its magazine is pretty limited with that case though.

[Linked Image]

The 60 gr. V-Max shot well too in the Rem., with new cases, though I have only shot the gun once; Dammit! grin

[Linked Image]

Need to go a little farther out when the range clears up.

Anyone wanting to make one should do it. Cases are still available or can be made from the 204 and good dies like Wilson, Forster and RCBS are still easily ordered.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have several 222Mags and the all shoot very well. I readently tried some of the Nosler ammo from Midway and it is very accurate. I have a Sako 461 that a guy sold me for $400 with a Leupold on it because he couldn't find ammo. Wonderful rifle. I also have a 469 short barreled varminter. It was made 2 years I think. It's rough but it shoots very small groups.
I bought about 900 rounds of Remington factory ammo years ago from a shop closing up. I still have about 400 rounds left. It is superbly accurate.
I'd like to see Remington load for it but If Nosler does and it's marginally affordable that's better than nothing.

Last edited by drducati; 02/14/09.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bring back the Remington Classic and chamber it in the deuce mag and I'll buy one as soon as they hit shelves.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a Remington 700ADL in 222 Rem Mag about a year ago
in a pawnshop, it sold quickly. It seems like every Sako
222RM that I see is almost mint, and the 222 Rem Sakos are
well used.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DMB
Good idea, and good narrative.
I'm on your side regarding the excellent 222 Magnum.
I have a pair of older Remington 722's chambered for this cartridge. Both are very accurate and very easy to load for. Just bought 250 new 222 Mag cases, sorted them by weight and prep'ed them.
I've always liked the duce mag better than the 223 because of its longer case neck. Case capacity wise, they are nearly identical however. So, I would doubt that resurecting that fine old Mike Walker chambering would get a lot of traction today.
However, I would LOVE seeing Remington make the 222 Mag as one of their annual classics. I see that as very doable.
Also, Nosler custom loads the 222 Mag for Midway and their ammo is superbly accurate; 26.5 grains of H-4895, with Nosler's 50 grain BT and Winchester small rifle primers. I've never shot factory ammo that is as accurate as this is; five shots at 100 yards into 1/2" groups with both 722's, not once, but twice for the very first groups shot with each rifle.
Also bought a 222 Mag chambering reamer, for the future... grin
When I first started benchrest shooting in 1970, there were many rifles in competition chambered for the 222 Mag; it's that accurate.
Let's keep the fire burning..

Don

Amen......

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by drducati
I readently tried some of the Nosler ammo from Midway and it is very accurate.

As I purchased the same ammo by mail order, I didn't have the opportunity to look at it before buying it, When I got a box and looked at the ammo, I thought that the bullets were seated too deeply in the cases. I decided to shoot some anyway before making a final judgement however. And, it shot well as I decribed above.
I wanted to see how it would shoot with bullets seated out to an OAL that would put the bullets .010 off the lands in the 722. After doing that, I shot several 5 shot groups with better results than with the "as received" seating depth. The groups tightend up and were around 9/16", but with a more clustered grouping. The groups looked much better than they actually measured out to be.
I also pulled bullets on these Nosler loads and tried other bullets, seated long as above. The Nosler 52 grain HPBT, the Speer 50 grain TNT, and Speer's two 52 grain offerings all shot about like the original factory loads. Sierra's 50 grain 1320 SP shot respectfully too.
So, now I'm a confirmed H-4895 guy for the 222 Mag, and the 223 Rem, using Winchester Small Rifle primers. I made up some identical loads for the 223, and they also shot like they did in the 222 Mag; same less than 1/2" groups for 5 shots.
Interestingly, after calling Nosler to inquire what the load was for the 222 Mag ammo they make for Midway, I loaded some up using Federal 205M primers as I didn't have any WSR primers on hand. That combo produced poor groups, around 1"+ for 5 shots at 100 yards. Buying and using WSR primers solved that problem.

I got a good education on loading for both the 222 Mag, and the 223 out of that experience.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Don,

If you are interested, Benchmark has worked EXCELLENT for me with bullet weights from 30-69 grs.

It does require working up from published 223 loads, but it has given top speed and accuracy from my two guns with all bullet weights; something I could not get from H4895.

Nate

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i borrowed a rem 722 or 788 from a friend in 222.To use for a fox problem i personally like the round for my situations.First when i borrowed his gun the fox were coming to the same point of about 80 yards i set up a shooting bench and waited for them to come and go inside grab rifle sit down and squeeze the trigger.worked great.My situations are under 200 yards and the 222 is a better fit then say a 22-250.And that is why i decided to either build a lh 222 or find a reasonable priced righty.Luck was on my side after about a yr or so wait i found a member on this site that offered a nice savage 340b for a reasonable price.Ialso would like to see the 222 written up and help the resurgance of a great round

[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don,

If you are interested, Benchmark has worked EXCELLENT for me with bullet weights from 30-69 grs.

It does require working up from published 223 loads, but it has given top speed and accuracy from my two guns with all bullet weights; something I could not get from H4895.

Nate

N8,

Thank you, I'll give Benchmark a try.
Benchmark is THE powder for my 22-250, and for one of my standard 222 Rem's.

Take care,

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Of course, Shilen and Pac-Nor will make you a 222 Remington Magnum barrel.

E R Shaw still chambers the 222 Rem Mag.

A good gunsmith with a reamer can turn a 223 Remington into a 222 Remington Magnum without too much difficulty.

Personally have 222 Rem Mags in Remington, Savage, and Sako -- all left-hand. Obviously some custom gunsmithing in there somewhere.

K
KBA Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
You guys make me feel good.
I inherited my Dad's pristine Sako Vixen/.222 Mag in '99.
I've never even fired it.
I've considered parting with it, actually, since I do not reload.

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nosler Custom, my friend, or sell it.

To me? whistle

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Yep.

And/or a 6mm-.204.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.