Print Thread
Hop To
E
eocbob1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Bought it from the same Rusty Gun dealer that I got the Savage model 340 in .222 Remington. While cleaning it up I noticed that the front sight is made of copper. Does anyone know if it is a factory original, or perhaps a aftermarket sight?

[Linked Image]

Was a little nasty when I bought it.

[Linked Image]

Anyone have an inner mag tube?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eocbob1; 03/13/09.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is it copper or copper plated? Either way I never saw such a thing. Some types of steel take on a reddish hue when subjected to hot bluing salts. (Had a Krag that happened to once.) That was my first thought when I saw it but it looks too coppery.

If that's the same gun in the top photo, you did a heck of a job killing the rust!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
eocbob1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Same rifle. Lot's of draw filing, sanding, and blueing. Problem is the barrel is ringed (bulged) right under the rollmark. I have a few ringed Remingtons as well, doesn't seem to affect function or accuracy.

The sight is copper through and through. It was painted black when I got it but I decided to polish it up and celebrate it. I think the Deluxes came with it, I know of one other that has that same sight also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first I've ever seen. I have three of the prewar checkered, two 7's, a 5 and a 4. They are nice shooters and often way overlooked. Nice work on the rifle came out pretty sharp. Ryan

E
eocbob1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks, I shot it this morning. That heavy spring loaded hammer gives a nice solid thump to the firing pin.

This thing is built like a tank, and it's a huge man-sized .22. Makes my Marlin's, Winchester's and Remington's look like whimps.

I love to HEAR the action cycle. Takes it time, you wait on me it says. An onlooker can actually see the spent case being ejected and the next round loaded.

Last edited by eocbob1; 03/14/09.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6-D was made after 1954 and has the same style front sight as the 99's of that period. The sight is copper or a copper alloy and was painted black.

Looks like a few hours of labor went into fixing that one up. Nice job. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by eocbob1

This thing is built like a tank, and it's a huge man-sized .22. Makes my Marlin's, Winchester's and Remington's look like whimps.

My exact thought when I hefted my #6 for the first time. Its got some good looking wood also.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Twenty five years ago I found a Savage Model 6D in my mother's out building.It too was in rough shape.The dirt dauber wasps had made their mud nest in the barrel from the breech all the way up nearly to the front sight.I soaked the thing down inside and out with penetrating oil and would alternate soaking and digging the mud nest out with an old gun cleaning rod.After about 14 months of soaking and then digging,I finally got all the mud out.So help me,there wasn't a pitted place any where to be found in the barrel! The outside had a lot of surface rust that I eventually removed with gobs of 3&4 ought steel wool and gun oil,but the inside was amazingly free of any damage.I worked a little at a time for about five years,oiled the stock,got every thing looking really decent considering how it was before I found it.Best part was when I decided to try to shoot it.It really worked!I couldn't believe it,and it shot great and still does to this day.You'd never be able to tell this was the same gun.I never blued it cause I like the plum and gray patina.That's an amazing job you did on yours.The front sight on my 6D is identical to yours,and its factory issued.These 6D rifles apparently are extremely tough and I know for sure mine is a great shooter.It's never malfunctioned since I got it going and shot it for the first time.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....I've got a Savage model 6D that was given to me by my father back around the mid fifties. I'd never noticed that the front sight was made of copper, but it appears so. Mine needs re-bluing because of surface rust, but the old gal could still be a shooter. I haven't shot it in years. I've kept it for sentimental reasons.

E
eocbob1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Great stories. It's amazing the neglect some of these suffer but still maintain their usefullness.

I found an inner magazine tube in an online auction for a Westernfield? model 59 (same rifle) parts gun. Should work fine and give me some extra parts.

The stock cleaned up fine with just a little rub-down with 0000 wool and Howards Feed-N-Wax as a cutter.

[Linked Image]

after

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eocbob1; 03/17/09.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You did good,real good.I think you're really gonna enjoy that little rifle.Looks great.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.