Print Thread
Hop To
R
RonH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Does anyone know if there are any replacement triggers for the Browning B-78 single shot. Particularly a single set trigger.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm pretty certain there is no such animal. There is a fellow who is supposed to have developed a drop-in single set trigger, but to date no company has agreed to produce it for sale.

Assuming it's the same trigger as the Browning/Winchester BPCRs and low wall rimfires.

Used to be Lee Shaver would take your trigger, regrind it and provide a new spring, and mail it back for about $50. Apparently there have been some changes in his situation recently as his ad says he is not accepting major work, but last I heard he is still doing the trigger jobs. On my rifles they have worked well.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R U aware that the B78 trigger, while not a set trigger, is adjustable ?

The adjustment screw is the disc in the lower tang, that has two small holes in it near the edge(s).

I made my two-pronged adjustment tool from a small, aluminum S&W screwdriver by filing out the middle section of the blade to match the hole spacing in the adjustment disc.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
you might peruse the secondary market for the Canjar single set; I believe the outfit is gone now, but perhaps the ebays, gunbroker sites..............

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Canjar is the only one I am aware of. I have a .22-250 with one and it works well. Unfortunately they are no longer manufactured.

The stock trigger is adjustable, but it is a strange mechanism and very easy to make unsafe or inoperable. Many gunsmiths won't work on them. The adjustment Rangr mentions is the take up.

It is not the same trigger as the 1885's. That was one of the changes.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerryv; 03/12/09.

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These triggers can be perplexing to work with. As has been said, the adjustments are finicky, and one quarter turn too far and it is inoperative. Also, the B78 I have has stock bolt pressure as part of the adjustment equation. I don't know if all are like this because mine has a few replacement parts and non-factory stocks and barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was never able to find a Canjar, but my gunsmith was able to get a pretty good trigger pull, it just wouldn't hold for more than a few hundred shots. I finally resigned my self to having a trigger job performed every 500 shoots. Not a perfect situation, but it worked.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
RonH Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Jerryv

The stock trigger is adjustable, but it is a strange mechanism and very easy to make unsafe or inoperable. Many gunsmiths won't work on them. The adjustment Rangr mentions is the take up.

It is not the same trigger as the 1885's. That was one of the changes.

Jerry

Jerry, that is what I have found. Over time the rifle has gotten where the half cock no longer holds. You can pull the trigger and the hammer drops. I don't mind using the gun off the bench in that condition but not for something to carry and hunt with. I have not found a gunsmith that knows anything about them. One kept it for two weeks and couldn't cure that problem. I was just thankful to get the gun back still operating at all. It is a shame that they had to come with such a complicated mess for a trigger because the rest of the gun is great. Browning has been no help.

Thanks everybody for your input and I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a used canjar in the hopes one will turn up.

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I've "successfully" adjusted the triggers on my 2 B78's with a procedure I located on the web. PM me for a Word doc.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a copy of the B78 Field Service Manual - which is where I learned the proper way to adjust the trigger on my B78's.

Here's the two pertinent pages, on adjustment, how stock installation can effect it, and a followup procedure:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.