Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How are you guys doing this year as far as coyotes are concerned?

Anyone in the Eugene/Springfield area looking for someone to get out hunting with, get a hold of me.

Only a few days left for bobcat and fox!

"When an animal dies quick there is no further argument." Veral Smith
click
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a horrible year for coyotes. Bobcats have been better than average though.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm only an incidental "I'll shoot it if I see it" coyote hunter mostly, being inept is sort of circular, means I don't put much effort into it which keeps me inept, but anyway ...

Nobody I know is doing particularly well on coyotes this year. I was over in Christmas Valley a couple weeks back and ran into a guy I think was hunting 'em professionally. He had along face. He said he'd done ok for a while, then it just quit on him, he hadn't seen a dog in several days, never mind shooting any. One of the guys I was with got one the next day but it was an accident, one we stumbled over, not one we called in. The guys right here are making said sounds.

I need to get out and take my cougar tag for a walk one of these days.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AC, we've had a worse year this year, but still got 27 coyotes weekend hunting. The bobcats however have completely SUCKED. A guy that runs them with dogs didn't even get one this year and he usually does good, along with one or two other guys I know. This is around Burns, but maybe they faired better where you're at? They got hit hard last year.

T
T
Coyote hunting around here pretty much sucks so far this year, although there is a stupid one that keeps hanging around in broad daylight, in plain sight in our pasture every now and then. I usually see him when I go out to feed my horse of a morning. Not more than 50 yards or so from the house. Someday I will even get intelligent enough to take my .22-250 out with me when I go fed and there will be one less coyote. Starting to hear them at night in the hills behind us a lot lately. So they are out there. I LIKE hunting coyotes, especially the dumb ones like some we have here.
The Duchess

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey Duchess, welcome to the fire, good to see another Oregonian here.

names Marty, and its a pleasure to meet you!!!! smile

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My yoting buddy and I have seen a few tracks in the snow east of Bend but no where near as many as in the past. Damn, we have been too efficent. smile

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Been Prepping for Spring Bear.

We had a LION here in alvadore last year.

Coyotes fled, it seems.

We trapped the lion and expect the yotes to come back this summer.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I'm in the Eugene/Springfield area - and would enjoy getting connected with other predator callers/hunters around here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is an "Oregon Varmint Callers Association" that meets monthly in Lebanon, Oregon. They are a great bunch of guys, with lots of knowledge.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is the most recent predator hunting results.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And here is a pic of the yote that TOM refered to back in Feb.
[Linked Image]

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HEY!!! That's the yote-ey dog I said we stumbled over!! He looks just as [bleep]ed up as I remember. Him's laigs are goin' the wrong way-aaa and the red juice all ran out ...

So what's the story with the kitty? Anyone figure out to do when the little kitty's momma shows up? smile Got a story to go with the pic? Terse is ok but inquiring minds need to know!!

You're having better luck than I am. I called a bit last weekend before the rain set in. Nothin'. Up in the edge of the pine forest. Probably scared everything off swiveling my head around to check my back for kitties. Imagine that.

Tom (aka crazy uncle Tom)

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My hunting buddy Rande killed the cat yesterday. I started calling and 4 minutes later it was all over. He shot the 100lb tom at 30 yards with a 30-06 pushing a 150gr accubond. The bullet shattered the cats right front tooth, went through the tongue, out the bottom of the jaw and into the front of the chest.

Gotta run!

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sweet. I knew an '06 had to be good for something. wink I just never could figure out what it was.

Gimme a holler if you get overrun by real dumb ones, maybe I can get away. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I'd love to thump one. I think I even have a tag, otherwise we can do shoot 'n' release. smile Unshoot 'em quick and throw 'em back to shoot 'em again when they're bigger.

Say howdy and nice shootin' to Rande for me.

Later ...

Tom

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice cat !

What area did you get him in ? Not exact area just ballpark -county.?

I'm sure that would put an even bigger smile on my face.
I hear cougars are very tastey to.
Great thread and pictures.-Thanks Mike

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/27/09.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SW Oregon in Douglas county. Looks a little different than your area. I have a brother that lives in Boise. Here are a couple of others that didn't make it. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

MColeman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
WOW double wow !

How did you get them calling or tracking in snow ?

What cartridge do you use ?
Recon a 22-250 w/a hunting type bullet will do a good job ?

Thanks again ! Mike

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey wapitihunter, where are you located?

you can shoot me a PM if you dont want it public.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of the cats were called in. I lean towards a bit larger caliber when I'm calling cats. Those were taken with a 30-06 (150 accubond), a 7mm-08 (140 accubond), and a 7mm RM (160 accubond). I'm looking to be able to shoot through the vitals from any angle, and I don't want to track a crippled cat. With that said if all I had was a 22-250, I would loaded it with the best bullet I could get.

MColeman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
orwapitihunter 10-4 bud thanks.

I have a 25-06 and a 280AI got accubonds for both -so thanks for the info. -you are definately helping out the deer/elk herds !
I'm planning on moving to eugene or medford ? still don't know exactly where -look forward to meeting some of you guys someday.

Butcher45 -didn't mean to side-track your post -good luck with finding a hunting partner !

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.