Print Thread
Hop To
S
semi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
i want to get a Williams receiver rear sight for my 336 lever marlin. Can anyone comment on these? does it work? and do i need a new front sight along with the rear?

I tried a scope with see-thru mounts and couldn't take it and the stock sights are pretty basic. I used this gun during deer drives and tight cover. What can you suggest?

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've gat a williams peep on mine for now. I have used it before, and it works well.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I prefer XS sights, most especially their front blade.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FP-336 Williams, specifically for the Marlin, will mount to same drilling as the scope bases.

[Linked Image]

My first rifles I hunted with, .303 Lee Enfield, 30.06 Enfield, and a Win. 94 30.30, all had Williams peeps. My Dad wouldn't use any other kind of iron sight, not even maybe! Worked good, stayed put, never a problem.

Me, I have a scope on my Marlin 30.30, and wouldn't use anything else.

Last edited by sir_springer; 03/25/09.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I use the Williams FP; my 336 was drilled for a side mount. I don't know if these are made any longer. I use the red Fire Sight up front, and the large, twilight aperature in the rear. It's very quick and easy to acquire.
Karl

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your Marlin has the receiver side already D/T'd for a side peep (and you install one) a higher front side shouldn't be needed.

If you mount a top-mount peep, in the scope holes, then you will definitely need a higher front sight blade to zero the rifle - whether or not it's a Williams FP/5D/WGRS or a standard Skinner.

Williams still makes both styles, the 5D is half the $$$ of the FP due to no micrometer click adjusters. The 5D has sliding adjusters.

Of course, either way, it's an ideal time to change front sight material to one that may serve your purpose(s)(deer drives/tight cover) better than the issue bead - like a bright fiber optic.

Williams markets a FireSight "set" for your rifle, with a peep and a FO front of the proper height.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Steelhead - +1 on the XS sights! I mounted a Firesight kit on a 336 in 35 Rem and the third shot sent the fiberoptic bead into the next county. Put a set of XS on it and it's never given me a problem.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I prefer XS sights, most especially their front blade.

Big time!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think that the XS sights were on sale at Midway, around $65 or so

S
semi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Did anyone have problems with the XS front site and getting that to fit correctly?

IC B3

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KBL702
I use the Williams FP; my 336 was drilled for a side mount. I don't know if these are made any longer. I use the red Fire Sight up front, and the large, twilight aperature in the rear. It's very quick and easy to acquire.
Karl

The 336 I recently bought is a side mounted peep design and I bought the Williams sight for the original Model 36 which worked well.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used both the side mount on older guns and top mount on newer guns. Did not need to replace the front sight.

I'm of mixed feelings about them.

To repeat what I've said before a couple times:

2 years ago the last day I could hunt I got on good bucks in with bunches of does in heavy brush. I was able to see antlers barely by naked eye and easily with 'nocs. However, peering through the receiver sight on my Marlin guide gun, I could not find the antlers and, with the does milling, I could not identify the buck. I came really close to tripping the sear once but had a twitchy feeling. Sure enough, they'd switched places and I'd have shot a doe I didn't have a tag for.

Last year I hunted the same spot, within 50-75 yards, same rifle, but with a Leupold 1.75-6X instead of the receiver sight, and killed the biggest blacktail buck of my life.

About as apples to apples as a comparison can get. One "made meat", one didn't.

Honestly, in those conditions, I think I'd have been better off with open iron sights than the receiver. While the receiver seems to let me place a bullet on paper more precisely, I think I would have been able to place one PRECISELY ENOUGH with open sights and still have been able to identify which one of the 6-8 deer in each group was the big buck.

Conceptually I like receiver sights, but in practice, my faith in them just took a monster hit.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/27/09.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Give the XS sights a try. I really like the .100" front sight they offer over the .080". If there is light enough to see that big wide front sight will be visible.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Check out Skinner Sights. I have a set on my Marlin 1894, which I like quite a bit. Like the XS, Skinner's are pretty simple and not as "bulky" as a Williams or Lyman.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Another vote for the XS sights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have Williams on three levers...I really like them. Works well even with my 52 year old eyes.

This is not meant as a slam of anyone that uses scopes on levers; I,me,personally hate the looks of a scope on a lever gun. The only thing worse would be a scope on Daniel Boone's flintlock.

I have nothing against scopes, they are a fantastic tool, and I use them on all my bolt guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 55 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.