-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Friend just got a EZ Go Golf cart and said he would pay for the parts if myself and another friend converted it. Looking for general info on how difficult it might be and some specific input on certain items.

1. Batteries: What type are best and were is the best place to get them. Know it uses 6 so this will be several hundred dollars.

2. Who makes the best lift kit? Want to raise it up by 4 inches. Will need new tires and rims too.

3. Does anyone make the plastic (think they shrik wrap) that puts camo on them?

4. What about light kits?

5. Rear deck in place of the bag holder, to haul deer, guns, etc..

6. Any specific problem areas to look at?

7. How difficult is it to change the motor if that is necessary?

Any other input those of you with experience might have.

Thanks a lot. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
GB1

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by travelingman1
F

1. Batteries: What type are best and were is the best place to get them. Know it uses 6 so this will be several hundred dollars.

Thanks a lot. TM

Make that sever hundred dollars each.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For batteries, use Trojan 105's or US2200. Call your local golf course supplier for prices.

For the camo, follow this discussion forum for the best camo and cheapest prices.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=1133

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
He buys a golf cart, spends hundreds on batteries, tires, a lift kit, etc. Then he still doesn't have a hunting machine. Why doesn't he just buy a good used ATV & be done with it? He won't have any more money into it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don't let you run ATV's on the golf course! smile

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gotta put one of these on top.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 04/04/09.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the T105's.

Some of the items you're looking for are available from the factory, but I don't know how these compare to the aftermarket items. Give them a call at (800) 241-5855 and ask to speak to someone in service parts to see what they have. Have the serial number and mfg. date code handy. They should have some manuals with drawings, etc.

If you get any kind of a lift kit be sure to get everything needed so you won't dork up the steering geometry.

Changing the motor ain't a biggie, but access is limited. The easiest way is probably to disconnect the rear spring shackles and jack the body off the rear end. Unbolt the motor from the diff. housing and slide it off. If it's a really old model the motor will be mounted perpendicular to the diff. case. Here you might be better off changing it from under the seat and from underneath on jack stands. It's been a while since I've done any of this. HTH.

Best Regards

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TM,

I've converted a couple golf carts on the cheap. The first thing is the get your pard to reconsider the electric cart. The 4-stroke engines run forever and are always 'charged' when you need it. My first cart was an electric and I had it less than a week before trading it in. My kids would run the electric dry and I'd be walking.

I traded the electric on a 2-stroke and ran that for a year or two. Typical deal - kinda stinky to run. Eventually the oil injector clogged with dirt (kids again) and and the engine locked up. I fixed that and traded the cart in on a 4-stroke. My kids couldn't break it, the engine ran clean, and life was good.

If money is being spent to convert the cart, start with something that makes it all worthwhile - my 2-cents.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good input guys. Thanks. And OUCH!, those batteries are steep. to clarify the situation some, my friend got 4 carts as part of the deal when he bought a little golf course that sits next to some property he already owns. He already has 2 Gators, 5 four wheelers and a Toyota Land Cruiser so an electric cart is just something we have been talking about to "sneak" around the property to various hunting stands. If it works the way we expect, my guess is it will get quite a workout during hunting seaon.

Love the 50 but have not been able to find the right mounting hardware.

Thanks again guys. Please keep the ideas/info coming. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out some Sporting Clays rags. Clays shooters been converting carts for a long time and would have good resources for him to find some things he wants.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He buys a golf cart, spends hundreds on batteries, tires, a lift kit, etc. Then he still doesn't have a hunting machine. Why doesn't he just buy a good used ATV & be done with it? He won't have any more money into it.

Rockchuck,

I don't own an ATV but have used various quads and argo's over the years. The biggest thing I dislike about a quad is the noise...An electic cart has a lot of appeal and having watched a few videos on You-Tube I'd say their off road ability is getting to the point where they are a practical alternative in *certain situations*...With the battery and motor research / deveopment being invested into electric cars at the minute, I am hoping spin-offs of this will eventually trickle down into the recreational vehicle field...

Regards,

Peter

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The big reason for my going to a cart was 'speed', or the lack of it. The last thing I wanted was putting my kids on something that could hit 50-mph by the time it left the barn. The cart fit the bill perfectly. I had about $1,500 all in on the 4-stroke, and maintenance and repair parts are cheap. I remember a broken leaf spring cost $9 to replace.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I picked up my batteries from Sam's Club. They are made by Interstate. Still pricey, but I was out the door for just shy of $500 for the six.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1
...an electric cart is just something we have been talking about to "sneak" around the property to various hunting stands.

I'm thinking an electric cart weighs around 1,000-lbs. Make that 1,500-lbs with a couple sneaky guys being vewy, vewy, quiet...

Good luck with that. wink

Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if yer gonna do it, just go for the gusto and get the Bad Boy Buggy!

Bad Boy Buggies

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2008 Bad Boy Buggy Review
by Gary Gustafson

Posted on: 07/10/08 [1 Comment]

Many TV hunting superstars are often depicted using a unique vehicle called the Bad Boy Buggy on their hunts. Most of us will never be TV stars, but I now share the experience of evaluating a Buggy for my own hunting and riding purposes. The Buggy's appeal lies in it's quietness-the company motto is "They'll Never Hear You Coming" and the Bad Boy Buggy is very quiet indeed. Overall I was surprised at what this hunting rig has to offer when used under the right circumstances.

Opt Out of the Gas Wars
Fuel prices are soaring so the appeal of owning an all-electric ride like the Buggy is undoubtedly growing stronger for many. It is a 100% plug-in electric vehicle, not a hybrid. There are a total of 8 6-volt lead-acid batteries that serve as energy storage for the vehicle. Consuming this electrical power is a full time four wheel drive system with two beefy 48-volt DC drive motors. Each motor is about 15 horsepower for a total of 30 horsepower, plenty of grunt for most riding requirements. One big advantage of using DC motors is that they operate at more or less full torque regardless of speed. In fact the Buggy has unbelievable pulling ability.

An Innovative Heritage
The Bad Boy Buggies are assembled in Natchez, Mississippi. The founders of Bad Boy Enterprises--Bubba Kaiser and Joe Palermo--wanted to enter and exit their hunting areas as silently as possible. With the help of local mechanic Tony Smith and Tony's Father, they modified an electric golf cart to enable four-wheel drive and added other features. This exercise proved to these men that they were on to something. They developed licensing agreements with Realtree and others for camouflage bodywork, added aggressive-tread Carlisle tires and lots of storage, ending up with a totally unique machine. The Buggy's low-key personality empowers a hunter to travel quickly through the natural world without upsetting any of the tasty horn-and-antler-laden beasts that lurk nearby.

Clean and Mean
The dual-motor system provides a nearly silent drivetrain. Golfers will be familiar with the quiet operation of the Buggy, but compared to the gas engines found on most quads, the stealthy ride is a real eye-opener. The Bad Boy Buggy is not fast-it's top speed is about 22 mph. But the drivetrain delivers loads of low-end torque. It can carry a rated payload of 1,000 Lbs, pulling it through sloppy trail conditions if necessary-as long as the batteries stay charged. A 48 volt battery charger is provided with each Buggy sold, and there is a convenient charging port located under the driver's side of the seat. The battery charger operates off of 120 volt AC power, so the vehicle needs to be operated near a "home base" with line power available, or there needs to be a 120 volt generator in camp. Either way, charging should be done after every ride. The lead-acid batteries will begin to sulfate if they are not topped off.

Regenerative (Re-gen) braking is a unique feature that the Bad Boy has because it is powered by "separately excited" DC motors. Whenever the throttle pedal is released, the motor controllers make sure that the power in the motors is absorbed back into the batteries. This puts negative torque into the motors (picture "engine-braking" on gas-powered engines) and slows the vehicle down. Regen braking works very well, in fact when riding at low speeds the brake pedal often does not need to be touched. In addition to the powerful regenerative binder action, there is a foot pedal to actuate mechanical drum brakes inside both rear wheels.

The Bad Boy has a leaf-spring, solid-axle suspension front and rear. This is one area that could probably use an update, however with the low operating speeds the suspension is still sufficient. The Buggy is steady and impressive when climbing up steep hills or hauling loads, and the regen braking is equally impressive, making return trips down hill safe and easy. The Bad Boy can be crawled at very low speeds if desired such as when passing through a bottleneck in the trail. The rack and pinion steering turns easily and in fact the vehicle is highly maneuverable, especially for the weight.

Green in More Ways Than One
According to Bad Boy Enterprises' data, operating costs are less than 2 cents per mile for the Buggy compared to 9 cents per mile for gas-powered UTVs. The savings varies, though, according to road conditions, driving methods, and the weight of loads carried. Because of the lower cost of operation, business use of the Buggy is popular with professional guides and for pipeline inspection. Battery maintenance is the key to enjoying the low cost of ownership of the Bad Boy Buggy. If the batteries are topped off with distilled water and charged after every ride, a rider will spare themselves measurable expense over a year's time. There are other "green" benefits to the Buggy as well. The low noise level makes conversation with passengers possible, even in a whisper. Sometimes I switched back and forth from the Buggy to a leading brand UTV and after experiencing the silent ride on a Buggy the more I was annoyed by the loud noise and vibration of the other company's gas-powered model. Any land owner who wants to visit the far reaches of their property without disturbing the critter population will like one of the machines from Bad Boy Enterprises.

Trail Impressions
The full-time, true four-wheel-drive worked very well and compared favorably in mud runs vs. regular ATVs. The ground clearance is 8.25" to the bottom of the differentials, and if one can avoid snagging the differentials the chassis itself is close to 16" off the ground. Low gearing helps the rig to keep on pulling when the mud is deep. There are no air intakes. On gas-powered engines with a CVT transmission these intakes must be protected against water ingestion. The Buggy weighs 1,650 Lbs. Shifting one's weight while riding doesn't affect the handling much. You just stay put and steer, with the rack and pinion doing most of the work. I maneuvered the Buggy easily with just one hand on the wheel.

The driving range varies tremendously depending on the kind of terrain and how healthy the batteries are. Ranges from 15 to 25 miles should be achievable on one charge. Once the batteries are fully discharged, it can take as long as eight hours to bring them back up again. It is well worth the small effort to re-charge the batteries, however. If the batteries aren't maintained all eight may need to be replaced, just as any other lead-acid batteries would. One note about transporting the Buggy: Although the Buggy will fit in a standard pickup box, it is highly recommended that a sturdy trailer be used to haul it instead. Sitting in a pickup, it will put substantial weight on top of the tailgate and this will stress the tail gate straps.

Accessories
22" Carlisle Stryker tires are standard on the Buggy. Steel mesh cargo baskets are located on top and in front. There are two 30-watt headlights in front. The vehicle payload rating is 1000 Lbs including passengers. In the back, there is a flatbed that can also be folded up to carry passengers. The body plastic comes patterned with Realtree Hardwoods, Hunter Green, Red, or Black. A Warn 2,500 Lb. winch sold by Bad Boy Enterprises can be installed on the front end, with other aftermarket winches available as well. A soft-sided camouflage cab enclosure is offered that can convert the Buggy into a hunting blind. Bad Boy sells aluminum rims as a classy replacement for the stock steel rims. A gun holder is available from Bad Boy Enterprises, as is a "Hitch N Haul" that can be attached to the back end for carrying heavy loads or big game. The Power Loader from Great Day Inc. can also be bolted onto this machine.

The Last Word
ATV sales are decreasing nationwide, but Bad Boy Buggies sales are steadily increasing. The Bad Boy Buggy seems to be the right vehicle at the right time, with silent electric operation, plenty of seating and cargo room all generating great appeal among outdoors people everywhere. For a hunter or nature watcher, the Bad Boy Buggy has advantages that simply can't be found anywhere else. Visit www.badboybuggies.com or a dealer to find out more.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

563 members (270wsmnutt, 2sticks, 1minute, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.