Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have all the 2008 sitka lineup. Although it is kinda pricey if you look hard on the net you can find great prices. I am very pleased with it so far. IT is super quality and fits me great.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any idea what the quest jackets and pants weigh as well as the sitka numbus jacket and pants??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hey Alaska - apples and oranges on the quest and nimbus. The comparables would be quest or one of the other soft shells (there are three) vs. the 90% jacket or Celsius jacket. The sitka nimbus compares to the browning zero gravity, a shell only. Both weigh at about 19 ounces. I know browning uses paclite gore-tex. I think the newer nimbus might, but their website still says a "breathable layer" whatever that means.

Last edited by dryflyelk; 03/06/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got a bunch of Browning stuff to test drive and review about 6 years ago. To say it failed would be giving it undue credit. All seams leaked badly even after a couple applications of seam sealer.

The Hydro-sponge material was the worst fleece I have ever seen for soaking up water... they claimed it is waterproof.

The pants had shallow slash pockets sewn down inside. So any time you sit to glass the stuff leaves the pockets.

The suspender buttons popped off without any stress applied.

The take-up waist straps use velcro and they are so long they cover the entire strip making them 100% useless for actually adjusting.

I could go on and on... Browning's response was basically "Thanks, but we didn't think you were actually going to critique them..." Stuff like the suspender buttons, "We never should have put those on." The pockets "But that would change the style of the pants."...

I have a heavy fleece shirt by them I really like, beyond that, Browning does not make acceptable wet weather gear, IME&O.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to hijack but on the same topic...

Whats the cheapest guys have seen Sitka Ascent pants? I see Cabelas has them on for $119 for the tall models....

IC B2

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have both browning and sitka.

Sitka 90% Jacket and pants. And Sitka Nimbus pants.

Browing Quest jacket and pants, and a paclite jacket.

I'm not sure if comparing these two (90% vs. Quest) are comparing apples to apples, but each serve their purpose.

For me, I'll use my sitka 90% in the warmer dryer weather (above 40 and dry). The 90% are very comfortable, almost like wearing pajamas hunting. I'll throw in the nimbus pants and paclite jacket for shell rain gear if I'm packing in for a few days and it might rain a day but mostly dry. 90% is definitely not waterproof.

If the weather is going to be colder, wetter, and the terrain is a little more brutal, the browning quest gear hands down. It's a lot tougher and will withstand the worst weather as long as you layer correctly. It's not near as breathable as my sitka 90%, but that is to be expected based on the material and durability. My Quest gear was/is completely 100% waterproof. Both 90% and quest have zipper vents to increase breathability.

I would say this though. My experience is that my Sitka Gear is not quite worth the money I paid. There is cheaper gear out there that will do just as well or close to it at a fraction of the cost.

I can't say the same about my browning gear. It's worth every penny and it can take a beating. I mostly hunt high country mule deer and if there is any type of weather, browning, always.

I think the 90% and the Quest gear go for around the same cost and I think there is much more value in the quest gear. It just doesn't breath quite as well, but everything else is better IMO.

Last edited by AHM; 03/07/09.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I got a bunch of Browning stuff to test drive and review about 6 years ago. To say it failed would be giving it undue credit. All seams leaked badly even after a couple applications of seam sealer.

The Hydro-sponge material was the worst fleece I have ever seen for soaking up water... they claimed it is waterproof.

The pants had shallow slash pockets sewn down inside. So any time you sit to glass the stuff leaves the pockets.

The suspender buttons popped off without any stress applied.

The take-up waist straps use velcro and they are so long they cover the entire strip making them 100% useless for actually adjusting.

I could go on and on... Browning's response was basically "Thanks, but we didn't think you were actually going to critique them..." Stuff like the suspender buttons, "We never should have put those on." The pockets "But that would change the style of the pants."...

I have a heavy fleece shirt by them I really like, beyond that, Browning does not make acceptable wet weather gear, IME&O.
art

Sitka deer,
The stuff browning is putting out now is light years ahead of what they put out even five years ago. I too had a hydrofleece jacket and I didn't really care for it. The "new" stuff is a whole new league. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. All gore-tex, taped seams, zipper garages, pit zips, etc. High tech top of the line stuff.

R
RTR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I was looking at the Browning Hells Canyon jacket and pants. How do the compare with the Sitka 90% jacket and pants?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
dfryflyelk or other Quest users--
How is that stuff cut? Like Sitka?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Oh, and how noisy is it?

IC B3

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, it's cut similar to sitka...both are a tad tight for their size I would say. The Quest is a tad "stiffer" and a lot tougher than the sitka stuff do to the material differences (100% waterproof goretex etc...). Definitely not worried about snagging on anything like I am a little with the sitka (like if you have to crash through some thick [bleep]). Noise was not an issue with the Quest gear.

I really didn't like how either of the pants were cut and would say the sitka pants are cut a little nicer than the browning (I'm comparing 90% to Quest here).

For a fit reference on the pants. I'm comfortable in 36W X 34L jeans that have been washed....6'1 athletic build (my jeans have a little room and hit the ground at my heels).

I originally ordered large Quest pants, no way they were going to work. They would tighten up on my thighs way to much when I raised my knee (such as hiking) and the length was pretty short. I went with XL's which are better, but the waist is pretty big. I use suspenders and a belt and it leaves some room for comfort and breathability. The XL's don't tighten up on my legs when hiking and fit better in the butt and crotch. If you are my size, error on the larger side, unless you like a tight crotch and something riding up your crack (I'm talking about pants here guys).

For the sitka's again they were smaller, I like room and comfort and make up for it with suspenders and belt. I went with the 2XL's on the 90% pants. Huge waste, but comfortable. Neither of the pants are very long.

My $.02

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.