24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to relate an experience I had about twelve years ago. A Fallow deer at 120yds, 162gn Sierra ( 7x61 S&H ) I held and hit well and the deer went nearly 80 yds. Not to difficult to understand but the bullet angeled through (as it mooved away from me) and broke the near side lower shoulder bone took the top off the heart and about 2 1/2 inches of the off side shoulder bone was gone. It ran with only meat and adrenalin keeping it upright. They can be unstopable till death overtakes them, unexplainably so at times.Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Jeff,

When I look at the photo of the deer it doesn't amaze me that he ran 200 yds. The shot is (1.) too high for a good lung shot (2.) too far back for a shoulder shot..and (3.) too low for the spine. I think you were lucky to hit him with a 358 to have a hole as large as it is. My guess is that if that shot was with a small cal "hard" bullet he would still be running! I believe that most of the tales of "I can't believe he ran so far" are, in fact, bad hits with the wrong bullet. Lung tissue, as you know, is not very dense..sponge like and filled with air. It is very vascular, and it is somewhat like a tree with the larger vessels at the base of the heart and then branching out to much smaller vessels in the perifery..so, the higher the shot the less damage is done. One thing that helps the hunter is that bullets that enter the pleural cavity most often cause pneumothorax (collapse of the lungs) from the loss of normal negative pressure that keep the lungs expanded..so that's a + for larger caliber holes in the chest. Just my views on "lungers"..

Art

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

VonGruff,

Can't figure out how you hit both shoulders and the base of the heart at the same time?

Art

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will lung shoot almost any deer/elk sized animal and know it will die and soon. I shot this antelope with a .270 using a 130 grain combined technologies bullet. It was facing me when I shot her and I intentionally shot her between the front legs. She ran like there was no tomorrow and turned into the fence, hitting it so hard, it flipped her completely backwards, note the hair on the ground.

[Linked Image]

The second picture is what was left of the heart. The lungs were jellied. It is my observation that you shoot it in the lungs and then hope it runs into a fence and breaks its neck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thumper I should have said the high leg bone just above the elbow and it was the top of the heart not the bottom. A walking animal that has one leg forward and one back can get it through both them and the heart. I know this one did.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by battue
Seems like most of you are referring to fairly close range shooting. I've found that shooting a deer thru the lungs with a cranked up NBT at normal woods range usually has a stunningly impressive result.

+1 on that experience...

CLB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 10 years ago I hit a doe in the Richard Droerer Hardwoods in SE Minnesota. Low double lung shot with a .50 cal round ball. She bolted into a hay marsh in the bottoms so I just sat back for 20 minutes. When we went to blood trail her there was a six foot wide swath of aspirated blood through the grass. About 150 yards in, she popped up right in front of us and put on another 150 yards at a dead sprint, spraying red mist the whole way. So we hung back for another 20 minutes. When we crept up on her she was still wheezing and I had to put a finshing shot in her. When she was dressed out it was a total mess, the near rib had been broken and pushed fragments into the lung. I should have waited longer for her to bleed out.
All that being said, I have seen poor hits drop deer dead in their tracks and great shots that let deer run for miles (I'll save the tale for my dad's heart-shot Ten Mile Buck for another day)

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CLB
Seems like most of you are referring to fairly close range shooting. I've found that shooting a deer thru the lungs with a cranked up NBT at normal woods range usually has a stunningly impressive result.

+1 on that experience...

CLB

Same with a Partition smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CLB

+1 on that experience...

CLB

Same with a Partition smile

And Core-lokts or SGK smile

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to say that most of the deer I shoot, I get a pretty good look at the heart/lung area and put a bullet into the top of the heart. I stand and still hunt, so the deer are usually not spooked and usually at fairly close range. I have shot them with stuff ranging from .257 Roberts to .30-06 with some 12 gauge slugs thrown in. A great majority of them have just flopped over dead. If it is undisturbed, I think the shock will kill it sooner than later. If a deer is running and is lung hit, it may take 5-10 seconds for it to exsanguinate (bleed out). A deer can cover a lot of ground in 5 or 10 seconds. I do remember one I shot at the edge of a field in about 8 inches of snow. It ran into the woods at a full gallop. After following a two track blood trail from the pass-through shot that my 9-year-old could have followed, we found it about 100 yards down where it had run full tilt between two trees and got stuck. That deer just didn't know it was dead.

If I don't hit the heart, the actual cause of death is usually a pulmonary embolism caused by blood clots from the lungs getting to the heart. Next time you gut a deer, open up the heart. You may very well find a large clot that caused a massive heart attack. This will stop the flow of blood to the brain, which will kill the deer faster than if it just bleeds out.

BTW, it is illegal in Wisconsin to shoot a dog even if you find it running deer. Of course it is also illegal to shoot the wolves here, but I have heard rumors of some of them getting shot. I think some people would shoot a dog on sight if it was chasing a deer up here, but most would either not shoot it at all, or put one in front of its nose to scare it off.

Fast Ed

Last edited by Fast_Ed; 07/08/11.

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I will lung shoot almost any deer/elk sized animal and know it will die and soon. I shot this antelope with a .270 using a 130 grain combined technologies bullet. It was facing me when I shot her and I intentionally shot her between the front legs. She ran like there was no tomorrow and turned into the fence, hitting it so hard, it flipped her completely backwards, note the hair on the ground.

[Linked Image]

The second picture is what was left of the heart. The lungs were jellied. It is my observation that you shoot it in the lungs and then hope it runs into a fence and breaks its neck.

[Linked Image]

Laffin cry laugh whistle. More pics of the rifle though, I'm jealous even though it is a .270 grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You guys do realize this thread is over 2 years old?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
You guys do realize this thread is over 2 years old?

Don't care, as long as there are pics of things killed with nice rifles I'm pretty satisfied grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can respect that

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This one ran about 50 yards after I poked him with a 168VLD from a 7WSM at 243 yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.264 Win Mag, large (bodied, crappy antlers)mule deer 130 Accubond, going fast, 190 yards, ran 30 yards

[Linked Image]

.264 Win Mag 100 grain ballistic tips, antelope don't run very far with these in them:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.264 140 partition whitetailed doe, running shot sort of driven by other hunters:

[Linked Image]

More lung shooting, this one just staggered around a bit when shot:
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My favorite shot:

Broadside, tight right behind the shoulder, double lung, complete pass through, good short blood trail!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 07/10/11.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You get one shot here...it better be good.

Bruz

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reiche
but less of a mess that if I shoot through the lungs and then a couple shots in the rump as it runs away.

very rarely does a deer I shoot take more than one shot. the few times it has, the second wasn't needed as they were hit well and were still on their feet by chance. I have never tried to put a couple shots in the rump for good measure or otherwise. tends to take away from the whole shooting an animal for meat thing. but thats just me. the couple of times I have shot at a running animal was either I knew I could make a good hit, or it was wounded by someone else and they enlisted my help in getting it. but in regards to the lung shot question, if I see its a good hit and know its a good hit, I won't shoot again, unless the animal is headed for some nasty terrain and need to put it down before it reaches there, happened once with an elk. most deer I shoot drop really fast. but I use a .243 mostly so its expected smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I see the impact is solid on a doe I usually just start to slowly follow her up. On a good buck, I'll try to double tap him if I have the opportunity. But in the thickets and such, one shot at an animal is what I typically get. I not a fan of shooting at running deer in thick brush.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
552 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.