Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had to pay for my arrogance. NOt in the long run but in the short run. Took us almost 20 hours to find a deer hit in the back of the lungs and liver. It ran a ways, wobbled and laid down. My nephew had to go to church so they left, and I was waiting till dark to get his buck, it got up and walked off... I had no gun. We SHOULD have shot that buck a second time. They didn't though.

Generally I"m 200% sure of my shot placement and 2nd shots are rare so I don't, I just make the first count and blood trail it from there on out if need be.

Of course they do waste a lot of meat if its never recovered. And IF I know its not good I"ll take any shot again. I punched one in the back leg this year as she got up to get away... long story there, and I even missed the back end shot, I was about 1 inch off to the left of where i wanted to punch the second shot....it made a mess but she didn't get away.

Bottom line it depends on each shot individually.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If the deer keeps running after the shot...sure I'll try to shoot again. Due to thick cover, it is tough a lot of times. The one time I did get to shoot again, I JO'd one in the "rear shoulder" and it was not pretty. sick

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Generally try and take them behind the shoulder and they seldom go over 50 yards. I've been using 165 grain Hornady reloads for years and they've served me well.

I've shot at only one running deer and I missed with my first shot and hit him in the same spot with the next 2 shots.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have shot two doe through the lungs with a 444 Marlin, but both were with 200gr HP reloads. One dropped, the other made it a few yards and keeled. 200gr XTPs are my current favorite in that diameter, especially in the M629 Smiff.

Of the several deer shot through the lungs with the 25-06 and a 100gr bullet, none went anywhere once gravity got the best of 'em. Although one big doe did rare-up and go backwards a bit, before falling over.

Just my meager experiences with lungers.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on other issues too. First weekend, there's usually a lot of guys in the woods, and it heeds one to get that deer off it's feet within view of you. Later in the season, if I see the deer flinch, and know it's a good hit, I might hold off on the second shot. It all just depends.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dubePA
Have shot two doe through the lungs with a 444 Marlin, but both were with 200gr HP reloads. One dropped, the other made it a few yards and keeled. 200gr XTPs are my current favorite in that diameter, especially in the M629 Smiff.

Of the several deer shot through the lungs with the 25-06 and a 100gr bullet, none went anywhere once gravity got the best of 'em. Although one big doe did rare-up and go backwards a bit, before falling over.

Just my meager experiences with lungers.

200 gr HP? I find the factory remington 240 grain loads too soft. A long time ago I shot some 180 hp .44 mag loads (30 gr H110). We called them "hand grenades". I never shot deer with them, but the worked well on groundhogs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Most of the deer that I shoot are calm and do not know that I am there so therefore I usually can wait until I can get a good shot. Most of the deer that I have shot have shown sign of being hit if they run off. If a deer starts running off after the shot, even if I think I hit it good, I will attempt to put another round in the lungs IF I can get another shot. Most the places that I hunt are brushy and in the woods so therefore its hard to get more than one shot. I try to make that first shot count. Usually by the time that I bolt another round into the chamber and get the deer back in my scope, the deer is down on the ground. Most of mine have ran 50 yards or less.
If I was hunting running deer in front of dogs, I would rather have a good shotgun shooting #1 buckshot because it makes it easier to hit the deer and if you are within shotgun range the deer just about drops in their tracks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
The one time I did get to shoot again, I JO'd one in the "rear shoulder" and it was not pretty. sick

You "JO'd" one... oh Lord... we'll be seeing THAT term again <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hey you coined the phrase "rear shoulder"

you're stuck with it now grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After shooting a deer I shoot it again if I can. I would rather anchor it soon rather than loose one and I can't be positive that the first shot was good.

I shot a very large buck deer in the ribs when it was standing-feeding in a field. It was about 180 yards away and the load was a 270 WSM with the 140 Nosler BT. At the hit the buck hunched up and just stood there. The does with him ran off. I loaded up again and sighted on him and he was just standing there. I could not believe it after using a 'magnum'!

I shot him again and he finally went down. I walked up to him and he was still holding his head up! I should have ordered the 7mm WSM and I still regret it. wink

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well if the dogs are chasing the deer it won't do you any good to sit and wait for him to die..get after him and the dogs..

If no dogs then let him run a bit, give him a little time to die, then track him, lung hits usually give a good blood trail and you can tell lung blood from muscle or gut blood..If you don't have lung blood its time to eat lunch then go find him.

I, personally, would opt for a different caliber like a 30-06 and if you like a lever one of the nice Win. M-95 carbines comes to mind..I have been going to get one myself. I just don't like those old punkin rollers, they kill but they kill way to slow for me, and I have used them quite a bit in the past.

BTW, I understand that there are places where you must use dogs to be successful, but apparantly some don't know that, and the holier than thou come out of the woodwork, especially those that have hunted very little and are all warm and fuzzy about such things, and condem about every disapline of hunting imaginable other than their own style that probably works where they hunt and they have never hunted anywhere else. This always gives the anti's ammo IMO.

The double lung shot is my favorite shot, I prefer it to the heart shot simply because it kills quicker as a rule, especially if you place the bullet close to the heart. A heart shot animal will many times make a mad dash and can cover as much as 200 yards on ocassion..

Last edited by atkinson; 04/22/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With much consistency the deer run about 70 yds before piling up after a double lung shot where I hunt. These are generally hit at fairly high velocity with 243's or 270's at 100yds or so. I went to a slower load and a larger, softer bullet (140 grain Gameking out of my 260 at proabably +/- 2750) and am getting strait drops with the small sampling to date. Have had one deer stand after being hit with a 270 and another by a 7mag as if not realizing what happened. They dropped in a matter of three seconds or so - or about the same time it takes them to run the 70 yds. Seemes a loss of blood pressure thing. Just my experience on the smallish Tx whitetails and moderate sized axis deer FWIW.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This unlucky little guy ran at least 200 yards after my .358 did this to him at close range. They are capable of some amazing stuff, sometimes:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by atkinson

BTW, I understand that there are places where you must use dogs to be successful, but apparantly some don't know that, and the holier than thou come out of the woodwork, especially those that have hunted very little and are all warm and fuzzy about such things, and condem about every disapline of hunting imaginable other than their own style that probably works where they hunt and they have never hunted anywhere else. This always gives the anti's ammo IMO.

Sigh...

I knew we'd get around to this.

I don�t think anybody condemned anything here.

I said we�d shoot the dog first, and it�s true most in my hunting area would. Simply because the sight of a dog running a deer here where we hunt would be bad. Because it�s not legal so it would mean the dogs are wild and or acting on there own with ill intent. It would never cross our minds that �hey, maybe somebody�s dogs got too far out ahead� or �hey, somebody�s working this area with the dogs�. Because it�s just not legal in my area so nobody is used to seeing it, we just don�t see it. We cant bait either, it�s just the laws we have to abide by. I don�t condemn anybody for utilizing the legal means of hunting for there respective area. If it was legal here we�d be doing it. We probably have regulation advantages that other areas don�t have, possibly in the way of elevated stand regs or the fact that we can use centerfire rifles, we can party hunt, things like that.

Not sure if you were referring to me with the holier than thou stuff but that is certainly not how I feel nor is it my intent to be interpreted that way.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure wish we could party hunt in Oregon. I would have tagged a 6x6 bull elk, my first day elk hunting 7-8 years ago. And another bull a couple years after that.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Reiche Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We hunt crown (public land) just south of the east corner of Algonquin Park (about 100 miles west of Ottawa Ont). I like to run the dogs when I can, because it's something that is likely to be banned in the future (it already has been in most of the province). It's an accepted traditional way of hunting in this area, so having a dog shot is really unlikely. I always used to worry about my old golden/lab cross who would bark at hunters in treestands because they looked like bears to him. Fortunately, he was never shot at.

The biggest problem we have with other hunters is that most of them know a good dog when they see one. Several times, the guys hunt with the dog for a couple of days before they call. One guy took 12 days. I think he would have kept her, except his wife made him return her. Lots of guys ask if they can get a pup.

I realise dogs on deer is very much taboo in many areas so I understand where the dog shooting comments come from. It's sure not an issue in our area.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
see that's just it. If it was legal here then it would be part of our local culture. But it's just not, not by our own choice but by our local rules regulatins.

It would add one more eliment of interest to our hunting, I can only assume & immagine all of the changes & challenges it would bring wich would add to the experince.

I read about guys working with there dogs for so many different things. I lived in north carolina while i was in the service so I became used to hearing the dogs working & seeing hunting dogs during deer season. I read about guys using there dogs to run big cats & bear.

I think it's all pretty cool. We just can't use dogs for deer in MN, that's all.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by atkinson
Well if the dogs are chasing the deer it won't do you any good to sit and wait for him to die..get after him and the dogs..

If no dogs then let him run a bit, give him a little time to die, then track him, lung hits usually give a good blood trail and you can tell lung blood from muscle or gut blood..If you don't have lung blood its time to eat lunch then go find him.

I, personally, would opt for a different caliber like a 30-06 and if you like a lever one of the nice Win. M-95 carbines comes to mind..I have been going to get one myself. I just don't like those old punkin rollers, they kill but they kill way to slow for me, and I have used them quite a bit in the past.

The double lung shot is my favorite shot, I prefer it to the heart shot simply because it kills quicker as a rule, especially if you place the bullet close to the heart. A heart shot animal will many times make a mad dash and can cover as much as 200 yards on ocassion..

I don't think anybody was bashing the use of dogs here...Some areas Like MN and WI that type of hunting just isn't legal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sorry,

Dave beat me to it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They generally don't flip right over when gut shot. Magnum or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.