Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you for the updates. Our thoughts and prayers go to the PH, as well as Gideon and his family.

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
yes this is the same story that featured in the news papers. if i am not mistaken the Watts family are from Kimberley and are ex - professional rugby players. they breed them tough over in the N-Cape

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Best wishes to the Watts family....

Hunted a place they owned near Vaalwater,never met Gideon.But hunted with brother Gerhard.Good people....

Dinsdale

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Karamojo_Bill
This is just like Gideon...putting himself in harms way to save another! I chose him because he has pulled NOT one, but TWO leopards that were making people into mince meat off...... and killed the leopards with his knife!

Holy Chit! That is one bad azz PH! But that kind of thng will catch up with you sonner or later.

I hope he gets back upon his feet soon.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
K
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
yes this is the same story that featured in the news papers. if i am not mistaken the Watts family are from Kimberley and are ex - professional rugby players. they breed them tough over in the N-Cape

Yes, Gideon was a professional rugby player and had thighs like tree trunks.

Karamojo Bill

When I die, I want to come skidding through the pearly gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, That was one hell of a ride"
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Really bad to hear about the PH's getting beat up. Thankfully it seems like they'll heal.

Still that's what makes buffalo hunting so special. Even well-placed shots with heavy rifles and good bullets, won't always drop an adrenlyned-charged buffalo in time to save lives.

People who hunt buffalo (clients, PHs, and trackers/observers)have to accept the fact that they could get maimed or killed. It comes with the territory.

Dangerous game hunting in not a carnival-type "thrill" ride, where there is a controlled, engineered, approach to an illusion of risk. The risks in DG hunting are present and very real.

If you can't suffer the consequences, don't go dangerous game hunting. PHs and trackesr know that, clients may understand that in a intellectual way, but maybe not in the sense that it is a real part of the game.

To hunt cape buffalo from that perspective, means that you are willing to risk permanent injury or death (to yourself or others)in order to try and kill those magnificient, courageous beasts.

If the buffalo dies and you and your people live, you win.

If you or your people die and the buffalo lives, he wins.

If you both die, then you broke even.

That's the real essence of that kind of hunting. If you are not prepared for the buffalo to win or break even, then don't get in the game.

Regards.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My PH on my first African trip told of being mauled by a buf. He got a horn through each calf muscle while trying to stay out from under the front hooves. He said he was in remote camp with a cardiologist and Iodine only as an antiseptic. They flushed the wounds daily with iodine and he pulled through.
Over the years he's been pretty hard to kill. He was shot by some Chadian poachers a few years ago. Now lives in Moz.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by buffhunter

That's the real essence of that kind of hunting. If you are not prepared for the buffalo to win or break even, then don't get in the game.

Regards.

Good post, I learned pretty quickly that inches of horn etc. mean nothing. You hunt buffalo, simply put..to have had the experience of hunting buffalo....
Ruark said once you have hunted buffalo, you are dissatisfied with anything else. I would concur....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wounder how many PH's get nailed by DG per year?

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.