Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MagMarc: I just got back from the range,where I fired the 270EB at 300 yards,6 shots.....uuhh....they all made it through the paper,and a couple even went through the cardboard backing... wink

Quick! Call EVERYONE!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
WOW, how much over book max did you load it? wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MagMarc: Can't say......liability grin

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It seems to me there are more than a few new gunscribes out there that have very little actual hunting experience by my standards, and perhaps its a sign of the times and they grew up reading the old stuff and became self proclaimed experts...

In fact I have know a few of the old timers that were not near as well seasoned as they would have liked for us to believe. I hope I'm wrong as I have learned a lot and still do from the better scribes of today and yesteryear. They are soul preservation of our hunting heretage and I hope the production people pick them carefully...

On 24 hour campfire we have the best of the best IMO...and there are a few that won't post on these blogs and they are probably wise not to, they certainly don't set themselves up for criticism by remaining ononimous...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dog in the fight is that, if I recall, he lumps the .270 Roy in with the .257.

A 130 at, or about, 3500 is a fairly impressive thing.

The Hootdoosh is arguing minutiae, too bad for him his cartridge will come out on the losing end of any argument with the thinner WSM rounds...or...about everything else...provided you keep it inside 500 yards. I'm not a good shot, even though I practice a good bit (field positions), so I can't see shooting deer sized stuff much further than 300 yards unless a REALLY good rest is at hand.

I guess Mulies, outside Nebraska at least, are sOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tough that you need a .30 take them down at 0-400 yards.

I guess if you're going to drill a hole in their arse, you might as well make it a bigger one.

I'm thinking his Indian name is "silly squaw"

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Yup,you do that.

While you're at it,mail that POS 257 Roy to me.
WB.

What .257 Roy? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I just got back from the range,where I fired the 270EB at 300 yards,6 shots.....uuhh....they all made it through the paper,and a couple even went through the cardboard backing... wink

Robert, I'm calling BS on this one.... laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
MagMarc: I just got back from the range,where I fired the 270EB at 300 yards,6 shots.....uuhh....they all made it through the paper,and a couple even went through the cardboard backing... wink

Quick! Call EVERYONE!

Now that's funny stuff! laugh

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott: Yup, only kidding..... smile. But, it was just a 270-130,past 200 yards........hey, I did not write this stuff.

I have read a lot of the works by truly great gun writers over the years.We have some of the best in the business on this site. I am ordinarily not critical of guys who report honestly and formulate educated opinions. I also recognize crap when I read it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My take on the article is that it reminds of those 'experts' you run into at the range or gun store. You know the kind who tell tales of incredible 400 yard running shots or 700 yard off hand kills. Then angrily tell you the 7mm-08 is vastly ballistically superior to the 30-06.

Wasn't Hoots the Guns and Ammo editor for an issue or two.

Ventrino's okay in his idiom. In fact, he's maybe too deeply knowledgeable about his idiom to the point of........yawn. His column so far hasn't been good.

Brian Pierce is okay when he's talking lever guns or revolvers. His article on the 7mm-08 was a silly.

I enjoy Havilland and Shoemaker.

I've been debating canceling my subscriptions. Losing Ross Seyfried was a blow. Losing Barsness was just plain dumb.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I miss Ken Waters also.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I miss Ken Waters also.

How can't you. It's like your grandpa...who knew schitt, passing away.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's not dead, but he doesn't/can't share anymore.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dober:

Sorry I am offline in the afternoons. Yes I clocked that load. A 120 Sierra in that gun will run 3327 with 61 gr. of RL-22 and 3272 with the 125 Nosler. Of course your mileage may vary.

The Nosler book also shows a 3400+ load with IMR 7828 for the .257 Roy and a 120 gr. Now thats fast.

The 6.5 does all I need. Hogs, deer, and Aoudad. [:)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
doc,

What rifle are you shooting? Barrel length, twist, factory or custom tube?

Thanks, gravy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 6.5 Rem is a Ruger 77 with tang safety (30-06 length) rebarreled by a local smith. I had him use a #4 fluted Lilja at 24"; the twist is quick 1:8 maybe. It has a Brown 1 lb.Kevlar stock, 2.5x8 Lupe, and scales 7 1/4 lbs. A great haul weight and consistently turns .5-.75 inch off the bench.

It is throated so that I load the 120/125 grs.bases at the base of the neck. I don't shoot 140's in it because I don't want to lengthen the throat. I don't like to bury a lot of bullet in the casing.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like a great rifle. I am shooting a factory 673 with the same bullet and have been satisfied with the results of under 3/4" but less velocity, which is understandable due to a different load. I like the cartridge and am in the process of looking for a donor action to do roughly the same thing you did. So far I have not seen the need to move up to a 140, the 125 works quite well!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by docbill
My 6.5 Rem is a Ruger 77 with tang safety (30-06 length) rebarreled by a local smith. I had him use a #4 fluted Lilja at 24"; the twist is quick 1:8 maybe. It has a Brown 1 lb.Kevlar stock, 2.5x8 Lupe, and scales 7 1/4 lbs. A great haul weight and consistently turns .5-.75 inch off the bench.

It is throated so that I load the 120/125 grs.bases at the base of the neck. I don't shoot 140's in it because I don't want to lengthen the throat. I don't like to bury a lot of bullet in the casing.

A tang safety Ruger in 6.5 Rem mag?
cool...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Talk about timing, I got a package from Wolfe requesting advertising and it had copies of 3 magazines in it..and one was the Rifle mag with Hoots article..

My favorite Wolfe magazine today is Successful Hunter because I like to read Phil Shoemakers stuff. Phil is is a good friend of mine and he is the real deal..I don't read many of the magazines anymore but I get all of them in the mail at no cost because of my business, and I advertise in them sometimes.

It was a rambling article of no real substance, and looking at his picture its obvious he hasn't been around long and is still pretty wet behind the ears, so give him a few more years, a shave and a haircut and let his balls drop and he'll probably be one of the good guys to our future generation of rag readers,but he better quit scribing that kind dribble or be sure and keep his day job...:)

I have a suspecion that its getting harder and harder to get scribs that have any real hunting experience the old scribes, like old hunt consultants like myself can't remember where they hunted yesterday...:) smile smile smile

I also believe that these gun magazines have run out of material for the most part as the whole ball of wax has been covered a multitude of times but perhaps the new generation of shooters coming up is where their future lies, not with a bunch of old curmudgeons! smile

Anyway God Bless'em, they may be our only hope to preserve our shooting hereatage in todays society.

Im looking forward to some new stuff like the 30-06 vs. the .270, that should make some great reading! smile smile smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I didn't see the article but I think he's wrong.

All things (shape and velocity) being equal, a 120 grain .257 beats a 130 grain .270 in wind bucking. And in .308 you have to go to 180 grain to beat the .257. All things are not equal because the Roy probably starts at higher velocity.

I suspect it doesn't make any difference this side of 500 yards anyway. If I had a Roy I'd use 100 grain bullets, probably.

Uh, you sure about those wind buckin figures? You made need to check those again.

I do however agree Hoots is very, very wrong. I also agree the 257 Roy and the 25/06 are most excellent muley cartridges, as are most 25's.

Bill

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.