Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah, it was stupid expensive. Sharon Dressel is a very nice person and let me layaway that blank. It took about a year to pay it off. It's going to make a beautiful rifle. I've yet to see a prettier blank in my life.

Terry

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
veddy nice lumber

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
NICE, as usual Terry. Good taste in how you put things together.

Steve, yes, and I actually just put in a call to the seller to find out who did buy that, recall a man bought it for his wife, so PERHAPS he is friends with them and maybe it could be had again, worth a try.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
but not likely at that price...sniff. that boat have sailed, bro.

they are very nice slick actions, at least this one was when Champlin got through with it, and perfect for a 7 x 57....the only bolt rifle I've had that was as slick was an old .375 M70.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had to chime in on this one, the 7x57 is my all-time favorite, and I'm kinda a heavy bullet guy. You guys are showin' some beautiful work in these rifles, nice to see it, especially the classic styling. Someone mentioned a Rigby stalking type rifle...I've never seen one in .275 but I did see one in .350 , plain "utility" grade rifle.
I have seen perhaps four rifles in my life I would call exquisite, and that was one of them...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another certified 7X57 fanatic here as well. I simply love the round, and as I get older, I love it all the more.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
�Opinions on 7mm-08 rem vs. .275 Rigby ?�

Last year I thought a lot about this and decided to build a 7x57.
Why? There is not a lot diff between the two in the field but if you a strong modern action and reload (and I do) the 7x57 wins. And another factor is that the 7x57 is cool and you will not many people using one.
Now as for the .275 Rigby, it is just a little cooler. There maybe a small problem getting a barrel maker to put that a barrel. The other small problem is finding brass with the proper head stamp but you can and most likely will use 7x57 brass.

Last edited by cole_k; 05/14/09.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few years back, I was hunting in Southeast Arizona for Desert Mule Deer when I came across the Game Warden who wa snaturally checking licenses and tags. After goin though the duty/checking stuff, we talked for a while. He was an older gentleman and in fact this would be his last season prior to retirement.'Of course, the talk came around to guns and he asked what I was shooting and I said "The 7x57." He gave me a bit of a blank look until I said the 7MM Mauser. He asked to look at my rifle, one of the push feed Winchster M70 Featherweights and for a while I was thinking he wasn't going to give it back. I think he was tempted to ask if I'd sell it, but didn't ask.
I do like that rifle, and while I prefer controlled feed guns, I'm not going to it's push feed action against it. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned and with put three 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets into a perfect clover leaf fairly consistantly. Most other loads do anywhere from .375" to .75" wigh the exception of the Winchester 150 gr. Power point bulk bullets which scaatter like bird shot in every .284" caliber rifle I own including my other two 7x57's and a .270 Remington. Depending on the particular gun, groups run from 3.0" tp 5.0" with that bullet. Just plain garbage IMHO.
Powder of choice so far has been W-760 which has given me good velocity and excellent accuracy
The other two 7x57's are a Ruger #1A and a custom FN 98 Mauser action that was once a J.C. Higgins M50. Factory Winchester 145 gr. Power Points are .50" loads in that rifle. I haven't tried anything else in that one yet. The Ruger was lousy until I had a chamber cast done which resulted in the gun going back to Ruger for a new barrel. Two plus inch throats just are not condusive to good accuracy. The gun is now good for 1.25" in the load I most use.
I guess with three 7x57 rifles at hand, you know where I stand.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
what about velocity per grain of powder. I think going to a larger case is only good for so long. and you can run bullets only so fast at some point it turns into a point of diminishing returns.

Lets not forget lots of game was killed with a 30-30 and they are not real big cases or moving real fast.

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ML, I started out with a used 7mag....just so happened that was the best bargain at a gunshow when I went looking for my first deer rifle.....sold it due to recoil....and right you are......'settled' for rounds with much less capacity....that still get the job done.

It seems whenever you see a guy using a modest round, you can often assume he knows how to use it and what he is doing.

Huntr, nice looking M70 there, a leftie?

Regarding throating of the 7x57s, what is the consensus? Is a long/deep throat bad if you reach the lands anyway, or is there a point that they simply are detrimental to accuracy?

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
After hunting a first run, hollow bolt knob, Ruger M77 tang safety 7X57 for almost 30 yrs., I can hardly say I'm not fond of it. My old Ruger would put everything from a 115 gr. HP's to the 175 gr. NP's in the same 3 inch group at 100 yds. The only time it ever changed zero of me when I when I literally fell on the rifle, scope down, on the rocks. Found out later the impact had loosend the front scope ring.
I no longer have it. That old tang safety action is now a .280 that weighs 3/4's of a pound less with a 6X42 Leupold. Custom, 24 inch, Pac-nor barrel and McM stock.
Do I miss it ? No. I like the lighter .280 better for a number of reasons.
So what about the 7-08 ? If I were making up a really light Mtn. Rifle and I couldn't or didn't want to use the .308 rd., it would be a 7-08, not a 7X57.
If I were making up a real classic, complete with fancy walnut stock, and top quality bluing, it would be a mauser in a 7X57.
If I were to buy a short, light Ruger #1, it would be a 7X57. E

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.