Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I read a statement about the T/C encore pro hunter being great for the factory ammo.
But not a good choice for a guy who is into reloading?

Why?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmm, Having just ordered my Encore, and waiting a couple of months to get it. I can't offer any experienced answers. But I can relate what I was told by BullBerry Barrel Works.

I was told to never just neck size rounds for the single shots. Always full length size. I believe he said it can create headspace issues, or lock-up issues, depending on the round itself. But aside from that, I heard nothing in our conversation that was meant to discourage me from hand loading for the rifle.

Where did you read this "statement"? I'd be curious to see what the heck their talking about myself. If for no other reason than just to gain knowledge.

I'll sit back now and wait for the single shot guru's to weigh in on this.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Do not recall where I read it.
May well be the no neck size issue.

I'll sit back now and wait for the single shot guru's to weigh in on this. ME too.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been reloading for my contenders for 40 years. I have owned Encores for 13 years and been shooting reloads in them as well. In fact I have never fired a factory round in my Encores. No issues here. Just use the same common sense loading practices one uses when loading for single shot firearms. There are threads on most single shot forums that discuss head space issues and how to control them. Bellm TCs has a tutorial on CD that he sells to show all the ins and outs of the Contender and Encore issues. I currently have about 13 contender and 7 encore barrels. All good ones.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience (limited) with a #1B a number of years ago in handloading was the same as Jay mentioned above. Full length sizing only. A neck sized case would simply not fit the chamber.
FL did the job, accuracy was top notch as well.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am with "Lonrider" on this one. My T/C barrels have only seen reloads. I load new or once fired brass and set the proper headspace on the resize. I have discovered my Encore barrels want the bullet kissing the lands for real small groups.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 05/14/09.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Since I have some experienced encore guys here allow me to ask another 2 questions.

1) I assume safety off is cocking the hammer back. Is it possible to do this quietly?

2) What improvements will a mike bellum trigger kit make on my encore pro hunter?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had some deer as close as 20 yards that let me cock the hammer and shoot them.

I use the Bellm hinge pins but not the trigger kit yet. If you order the trigger kit I have read the pliers he offers are invaluable.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 05/14/09.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have to agree with Doc, I have cocked my Encore PH with deer and hogs within 20 yards and they never heard anything. I have one of the early PH's in a .280 Remington that really groups well. I use 140 grain Ballistic Silver Tips seated out close to the lands. I also have the 20 inch 45/70 Kahadonkey barrel. I left the peep sights on it and it shoots good also, but the recoil is a bit much if you use the B-78 and #1 loads in it. I bought another Pro Hunter in 25-06 about a year and a half ago and was a little unhappy to see that S&W had dropped the trigger over travel screw in the trigger guard.
Good shooting,
Marcus.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tikka3006
I read a statement about the T/C encore pro hunter being great for the factory ammo.
But not a good choice for a guy who is into reloading?

Why?

If you do not resize the case full length, the case stretch will not allow the full lock up of the action on the next go around. THe necessity to slam the action shut is an indicator this has happened. Not a good scenario. THe gun won't blow up but your accuracy will. One can avoid this scenario by always shooting commercial ammo in it. THat is probably the reason for what you heard.

Mike Bellm is a wizard on trigger work for the Encore. If you have a newer frame without the trigger overtravel screw, he or his designee can do the work like no other. He suggests a 51 lb spring and the screw installed. Good stuff.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
If you do not resize the case full length, the case stretch will not allow the full lock up of the action on the next go around. THe necessity to slam the action shut is an indicator this has happened. Not a good scenario. THe gun won't blow up but your accuracy will. One can avoid this scenario by always shooting commercial ammo in it. THat is probably the reason for what you heard.

Thanks I am starting to learn something here.
I assume we are talking about reloading for just one gun.

What is different about the chamber of the encore that allows case stretch vs a bolt gun???

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There should be no, or little, difference in the actual chamber dimensions from a SS to a bolt gun (say, if they're both cut with the same reamer).

I think I understand why the single shots don't like anything but full length cases. But again, for fear of mis-stating my understanding I'll let the pro's here splain it. And I might even learn something too.

But I'm pretty sure it has to do with Headspace, Extraction, or Lock-up with the different style actions. Maybe all three.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
F
F
I have a pro hunter in 30-06 i also reload for it. when i first picked up my encor the trigger needed alot of help. one trip to gun shop and problem taken care of. verry clean and crisp. as far as safty simply decock the hammer for the pro hunter and G2 contender the older contender you had to break it open to recock the hammer after decoking it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tikka3006
If you do not resize the case full length, the case stretch will not allow the full lock up of the action on the next go around......What is different about the chamber of the encore that allows case stretch vs a bolt gun???

Upon firing, the action will open at the breech by a few thousandths. This then allows the case to stretch which usually moves the shoulder slightly forward. Bolt guns do not do this. This happens in break open centerfires due to the lack of physical locking of the action on the topside. If you view an Encore from the side profile you'll notice a gap between the barrel shroud and the breech face of the action. This gap should never measure more than four thousandths. This is not an inherent fault of design but it is what it is. Setting the shoulder back in full length resizing is a necessity.

Sharp shouldered cases are the worst offenders. IF they are fired with the shoulder moved forward they will pinch the bullet at the first shoulder angle and drive the pressure sky-high.

As long as you are aware of this and plan your loading accordingly you will never have a problem in the killing fields. I learned this by experience. I have been hunting with the Encore since its debut and I still do. I have two Pro Hunters but I still prefer my original. It has spent almost as much time hunting as I have.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've only had 2 or 3 dozen Encore and Contender barrels so take this for what it's worth:

1. I mostly use handloads and when they're to be fired in the same chamber I only neck size.

2. In those instances where a case is slightly oversized and the action has to be closed firmly, I've noticed no decrease in accuracy.

3. The Bellm Encore trigger job makes an Encore MUCH MORE pleasant to shoot.

4. Bellm oversized hinge pins may or may not do anything for accuracy. If there seems to be movement between barrel and frame with the action closed when pressure is applied to the barrel I use them and maybe they help.

5. It's possible Bellm has changed his mind on the overtravel screw. I have an Encore he did a trigger job on. The trigger, when pulled, started hitting the overtravel screw. I e-mailed Bellm and he told me to file it off which I did. I don't take all things Bellm says as gospel but he is easily contacted, is very generous with his knowledge and does an excellent trigger job.

6. I once took two deer within a few seconds of each other with an Encore at a range of maybe 20 feet. I think the only thing they heard was the bang.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the past 10+ years I have only neck sized for my Encores and never had any problem from it. Seem to shoot at their best by doing it.
If it comes down to needing a over size hinge pin, all I can say TC I need a new frame!! Its covered under the lifetime warranty. Drive the over sized pin in and your warranty just went to chit.

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

I once took two deer within a few seconds of each other with an Encore at a range of maybe 20 feet. I think the only thing they heard was the bang.

COOL

That must make for good memories...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am an Encore nut None of barrels have ever had a factory round through them. I do resize full length Just because I then know what I am hunting with.
I did have a headspace problem with a 35 whelen barrel but I found it was me "pulling" the shoulder forward by not lubing the necks. This would allow the action to close but it would misfire taking energy away from the Hammer strike as the round move a few thousands forward to the correct headspace. Once I figured it out my misfires disappeared.
The Encore is an awesome platform and all that has been said about Mike Belm and his products is true. I use his trigger springs and lock up springs on every barrel and frame I own.
the pliers are almost a must have.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
S
S
Yeah it is a real pain in the neck bout ready to trade my .243 pro hunters in on a bolt rifle.you shouldn't have to cram your brass way up into you dies just to get the round to chamber and then some of them still don't. I think TC dropped the ball on quality and headspace clearance.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I too like my Encore rifles and load for them. I generally full length size most of the ammo I reload for all my rifles so nothing new here. I will say my Encore's shoot best and I have the best case life if I load a couple grains under max. Both the 308 and 223 are very accurate, light rifles that are a pleasure to shoot.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 53 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.