Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kalispell company manufactures guns, barrels

By The Associated Press
KALISPELL - Inspiration can strike in the oddest of places. For Kalispell gun manufacturer Ron Duplessis, beer and peanuts with friends at Moose's Saloon produced a patent.

The new custom, switch-barrel rifle can change calibers with a few small adjustments. It's just one of an expanding arsenal of products offered by Duplessis' company, McGowen Precision Barrels, a fast-growing operation.

Since 2007, McGowen Precision Barrels has been housed in a warehouse behind Kalispell Lumber Co., quietly building upon its reputation for having some of the finest barrels in the industry.

While other companies are struggling with the economic downturn, McGowen has continued to grow. This month, the barrel manufacturer will move into a new facility, the former Semitool location near Fun Beverage Inc., and fully launch its sister company, American Gun Co.
With 7,200 square feet, the new facility will more than double the operation's space and allow Duplessis and his staff to branch further into custom gun manufacturing, adding more actions and stocks to their already expansive selection of barrels.

The overarching goal is ambitious: "We want to be the largest custom gun builder in the world," Duplessis said.

The companies' growth means new jobs for a local manufacturing sector that's been hit hard in recent months. Duplessis plans to expand his staff from 12 to between 35 and 40 people with the move. He hopes then to double that number within the next two years.

The company will be hiring for a wide variety of positions, including engravers, machinists, journeymen and apprentices.

"I saw availability of talented people right now," Duplessis said, "and I could grab some of those people and give them a long-term job."

Duplessis said Flathead Valley Community College has worked with him to add education programs that fit his companies' needs, like the college's computer and numeric control machining curriculum. The local business community and city's economic development have also played important roles in the expansion, he said.

"In business, you work on rhythm a lot," Duplessis said. "When you don't see any obstacles you keep pushing and moving forward."

Still, when a group of Flathead gun enthusiasts first pitched the idea of him buying a barrel-making business, Duplessis hung up the phone. "But I couldn't let go of the idea," he said.

"A few months later we were hauling everything to Montana."

McGowen Rifle Barrels started in 1959 when Harry McGowen, a hardware salesman, purchased a collection of surplus gun manufacturing equipment left over from the war and became a self-taught master gunsmith.

McGowen's company had been "mothballed" for several years, however, when Duplessis bought the company in 2007 and moved it from Illinois to Montana. The move took 10 days and four semi-truckloads.

Today, the company still uses many of the McGowen's original Pratt and Whitney machines, some dating back as far as 1905, to make its barrels. The reliable, old machinery is combined with computer design software to give customers as much flexibility as possible.

"It's hard for someone to dream up something we can't do," Duplessis said, adding that people have even brought in designs on a cocktail napkin before.

Right now, the company is producing about 12,000 gun barrels and about 1,500 rifles.

After expansion, Duplessis said barrel-manufacturing capacity will reach about 35,000 a year, but for the best quality, turnaround time and prices he plans to keep production to about 25,000 annually. He hopes to eventually sell between 8,000 and 10,000 full firearms, with 20 percent of those in customs.

For Duplessis and his staff, gun manufacturing is a creative outlet, blending science and art into each project. Whether new ideas come from customers or brainstorming sessions over beers, it's a constantly evolving business.

"We try to under promote and over achieve," Duplessis said. "We take a lot of pride in what we do

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good on them. I dealt with Mr. McGowen on several occasions, quite a character and he could do most anything.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very cool!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in 1980, I had Harry McGowan make a replacement barrel for a 1908 Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine. The rifle was chambered in 8x56 MS, and I wanted it in 8MM Mauser.

Harry's barrel was exactly like the original in contour and shape. That was quite a feat, and boy oh boy does it shoot!
[Linked Image]

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cool..

Just had a pleasant transaction with McGowen...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a McGowen 260 barrel on a Savage lefty action. I am still
in the process of breaking the barrel in. McGowen custom contoured the barrel for me at NO Charge and returned it in 10 days.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they have a new mini action coming out, I looked at one for a 6x45 project, but they are a little spendy for what I'm looking for.

I think I'm gonna use them for my next project, thanks for the tip Gmoney.

I also noticed on their website that they are offering a 10% discount to new customers, after a barrel is ordered and everything, that 10% could be a big savings, definitely using them on my next purchase

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd imagine that's a nice switch barrel setup they have.

Retired cat herder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,019
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.