Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just curious what yours would be. I've been thinking about selling a few my centerfire rifles and getting into something nice.

A few of the Coopers have caught my eye but who know's. I'm easily swayed. What do you like?

Terry

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am sure others will not agree, but I just built my dream rimfire rifle last winter.

I started out with a Stainless-Steel Ruger K77/22 Action and went from there. I used a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel .920" Bull Barrel chambered in .22 LR. Clark Custom Guns uses Lothar-Walther Barrel Blanks to make their barrels from.

I then acquired a Volquartsen Laminated Roll Over Monte Carlo Rifle Stock, which I free floated the forend on.

Since my Rifle was originally a Synthetic Stocked Ruger I had to buy the trigger guard, magazine well and action screws for a Ruger K77/22 VBZ to be able to put it in the Laminated Wood Stock. These come with Ruger's Target Grey Finish, so that had to be polished off to make the Stainless-Steel shiney to match the receiver and barrel.

I used Ruger 1" High Scope Rings to mount the 4x16x42mm AO Weaver Riflescope.

I totally reworked the trigger until it breaks like glass at 1 1/4 pounds safely, and also added an adjustable overtravel stop.

[Linked Image]

I am totally pleased with how this project turned out and how this rifle shoots. This rifle definately shoots better than the shooter if you know what I mean, ie if I miss I know it is ME.

I have always loved the feel of the Ruger 77/22 action. I also like the flush fitting 10 round magazines that do not protrude down below the stock.

Everyone has their own idea of their perfect rifle. I am sure others opinions will be different than mine, and rightfully so. That is why we all live in this great country as we still can make our own choices in regards to some decisions.

Good luck with your quest.

Larry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A NULA comes to mind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to Guns America, look at Kimber Super America .22. Mine is for sale and has the best stock they ever put on one.

Tacksmacker

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Mine is a vintage Remington 513S (sporter) model of the 513T target rifle. Full-sized, great trigger (1.8 lbs) and shoots at least 9 different types of ammo under .5" (best group of 5 was .115") at 25 yds. If I could find one with the grooved receiver for scope mounts--well, that would be just peachy.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe I already own mine ... either the XXII or the 39A. I have no desire to own another rf rifle except perhaps a 1894M in WMR ..... I'm happy with what I have

[Linked Image]

Last edited by avagadro; 05/18/09. Reason: add pic

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one I'd like is one I cannot have, nor locate - but still salivitate over, 25 years after I first saw it.

It was made entirely by the hand of an elderly gunsmith/friend, who has passed away - Bob Foster, may God rest his soul.

Bob said he made it, because he just "felt like doing it", and no commercial rifles suited his fancy, anyway.

I was privledged to have Bob do a step-by-step show/tell with me, during the week or so that it took him to build his own .22WRM boltgun from scratch, excepting the barrel - for which he used what I remember as being from a Winchester.

The blued action's OD was no bigger than it needed to be to contain the slender barrel shank and cartridge; while the walnut stock was carved into a typical low-comb classic design and beautifully finished in oil.

Bob additionally made the scope mounts & rings to a very high standard - but had not yet scoped it when he passed.

That rifle lept to the hands and settled in firing position like it had grown there - One could ask for nothing better.

My gennie 1934 Model 52B Sporter doesn't even come close.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Any variation of Mark II or 10/22 for me.....especially if you add a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel and SWR suppressor!! grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I like that Mark II! That looks like fun.

Here is one on my quite toy's
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice! Is that a Burris red-dot and, if so, how do you like it? I have an Ultra-dot L/T but don't think it's the same quality as the Burris Fast-fire....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, that's the original that started it all. It's an Optima.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Im redoing the first rifle I even owned, a Remington 581 I got in 1976. Im duplicating my tactical rifles stock by hand and will be dropping it in to make a trainer. Im looking for 1/2" at 50yards, nothing jaw dropping but I want the ergonomics to be on the money.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Im redoing the first rifle I even owned, a Remington 581 I got in 1976. Im duplicating my tactical rifles stock by hand and will be dropping it in to make a trainer. Im looking for 1/2" at 50yards, nothing jaw dropping but I want the ergonomics to be on the money.

20 something years ago I built a semi custom Remington Model 581. I had the barrel shortened (also removing the front sight dovetail), polished the bore and set it in a Bishop's Classic Style Walnut Stock. I worked over the trigger and mounted up a scope. Man that old rifle shot great.

I had kind of forgotten all about that old rifle until I read your post. Sure wish I would have never sold it to my cousin.

Larry

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Of course it depends on what YOU want to do with it...the best of the best?
-pick it up and shoot fantastic groups? Anschutz, 54 action.
-hang it on the wall and polish the beauty? 1959 Belgian Browning.
-build your own? Suhl 150 action with Douglas barrel

There are a Ton of great choices at every conceivable price range. Have a great time in your search! Experimenting with different guns, then selling them at a loss, is an easy and fun way of getting an education!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Ruger 77/22 that works, but....for a dream shooter, a Cooper would be sweet or I would be very satisfied with an Anschutz 1416D HB - I'd love to find one with a sporter stock instead of the current beavertail format.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Easy question for me.
A Remington 40XB Sporter or a Winchester 52 Sporter in 2nd place.

Regards,
Ron

USASA 1965/69
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dream .22 is my left hand Kimber of Oregon M82. It's just the plain base model Classic but "plain" is a relative term. Full size but lightweight, great trigger and accurate as can be.

Since they don't make these anymore I would heartily endorse your desire to get a Cooper or Anschutz or other high end .22. Even a top of the line .22 doesn't cost a whole lot more than some factory centerfires these days and the joy of ownership repays itself many, many times over.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bought my dream 22 6 months or so ago, Weatherby XXII sportin a 2.5X8 Leupy. Next would be a Win 52 sporter.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not near as flashy as some, but I'm pretty darn satisfied with my old 39A.

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My "dream" .22 would have a better trigger than the Ruger 77/22 will allow, otherwise it'd be a 77/22 with a .920" diameter, 20" or so fiber-wrapped barrel in a light stock.

I've got a setup like that in a 10/22 and a Jard trigger. That is pretty good, shoots well, packs easy even for long distances, but sometimes it flings brass where I don't want to dig brass out of, thus the urge for a bolt action.

I guess ... maybe a 40X rimfire from the Remington custom shop ... assuming it uses the same trigger group as the centerfires so a Jewell HVR could be installed as an upgrade.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.