Last time I had one shipped it was $251.00+ crate + health papers

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....It's less to AK according to Delta airlines.

....You ought to see these guys now at 5 weeks! If you get one you'll never regret it.

Last edited by olhippie; 05/25/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok I am looking at female #4, but I have some questions: How are they with children? Are they barkers? (I hate yipy dogs)? How hard is it to train them on bushy's? How well do they get along with other dogs? (I usually have an English Setter - don't right now but will be getting another one) Why in the hell do you have to be so far away?

Doug

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....Doug,The best way to answer your questions in depth is to make phone contacts. I'll send a personal Message with my number, you can do the same if you wish. There is no long distance from my cell phone.

....Trying to cover your questions here won't be with the detail we could get on the phone, but here goes. Decker terriers are the most calm and mature personalities of all the Rat Terrier strains. The smaller Rat Terriers tend to be not only more fragile health wise, but more skittish and hyper in comparison to the Decker type. None of the Rat Terriers have the reputation of being over anxious barking dogs, not nearly so much as most Terriers , or the popular Jack Russell's. They are absolutely great companions for small children, being extremely respectful and tolerant of them (They are highly intelligent dogs, and know that the little one's are thier master's young!).

....So far as training for squirrel, well they LONG AGO won the name "Rat Terrier" in contests in Great Britain, as "THE" dog that killed the most rats in a 10 hour time limit.( a champion Rat Terrier killed 2500 rats in ten hours around grain silo storage barns to win that name!) To a Rat Terrier a squirrel is just another kind of rat..

..... To train them to target squirrel just introduce them to a live trapped squirrel so that they get the scent, or drag a fresh killed squirrel around the pup so that he makes chase(some trainers use just a squirrel tail). If you can tie the squirrel 'bait' to a string that has been thrown over a tree limb, and hoist the squirrel into the tree as the little fellow makes chase, you've pretty much done all the training moves necessary preceding an actual hunting excursion. Be sure when the pup jumps at the tree, and barks, to reward him (or her) with great praise. Later I take a rubber throw toy of the right size to wrap a fresh killed squirrel skin round (rubber bands or string will hold it on). Tossing this and giving the command to "Fetch it up" or "Fetch", will be all that's needed to get your pal to fetch up downed squirrels. Always point in the direction you wish your pup to go, in time he'll respond to your pointing directions in the field, to flush out rabbits (same as a squirrel to the Decker, just easier to catch)or hunt left or right. Give the command "HUNT" as you do that. I've taught pups in my home by hiding a squirrel skin fetch toy behind closed doors and then after opening the doors allowing access to the other side of my home I'll point and say "Hunt" in which ever direction the pup should go to most quickly find the hidden squirrel toy. Believe me he'll catch on to that quickly, because he absolutely loves to get that squirrel for you!

....This is a quick gloss over of the basic training needed. It's not rocket science. Especially easy with dogs that are as keen as the Rat Terriers.If you want more training direction, go to "Squirrel dog central" and you'll find some there as well.

....Finally, sorry about the distances involved in some of these transactions. Decker's are worth it, and not so common to find. I've come to understand that only a couple hundred exist, a great part of the reason I've advertised them here, in an effort to get these wonderful hunters and companions, more widely known and bred.

....One last thing occurred to me, you'll never have a 'gun shy'dog if, while they are small pups, you'll clap your hands loudly at moments when the pup isn't focused on you, he may spook a bit at first but will VERY soon identify the loud noise as one of his master's vocalizations, nothing to be afraid of at all. I do this with all my pups while they are small, and sensitive, so that by the time thier going to thier master's home they are already schooled a bit. Even if they are never used for hunting, they'll likely be a less 'spooky' dog with thunder, or any loud noises from then on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ol', thanks for the reply and PM. I will give you a call tomorrow evening. We are considering female #4. The one question you didn't address (which is fine) is how do they get along with other dogs? My daughter has some kind of boston terrier (I think), and that damn dog is a real pain in the back side. Baxter used to just pester Trapper (my english) to death (trapper left the woods on us last thanksgiving day). At one time we had 4 setters and a black lab. They have all since left us for better hunting grounds. I will always have an English Setter, but I find myself slowing way down and was looking for a hunting buddy for the ever elusive bushy tails. OK, the bear thing has my ears up too (I have been hunting black bears for 40 years). So anyway, we will give you call. Until then, Thanks

Doug

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....I've never had a Decker that was a bully, or aggressive with other dogs. HOWEVER, I've not had one, particularly the males, that would tolerate being bullied. Decker's are widely known for a rather regal aloof attitude toward other dogs posturing at them, just don't jump on me is thier attitude, or Katie bar the door.

...I used to breed English setters. My last dog, "Birdbrain", son of "Lordy Bird" out of "Ladybird", died at 16 years of age about 8 years back now. Grand dogs they are. Very loving too.

....By the way Milton Decker, who developed the Decker hunting strain,even used Decker Terriers as flushing dogs when bird hunting. I've read they've been used in water retrieving too.I believe, based on the Decker's I've had, depends on the particular dog. Some like my BoJingle would jump in right now on a fetch it command, while most I've known aren't as keen on water sports.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is 25lbs+/- a typical full grown size for these guys? I'm interested in your "butch" female, working on the wife...

Black Cows Matter!
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
TTT for some great pups

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Is 25lbs+/- a typical full grown size for these guys? I'm interested in your "butch" female, working on the wife...
...Muleshoe, Because BoJingle 38 lbs., Jingers sire, and her Dam Georgia Mae Jingle 30 lbs. are both on the large side, I believe these pups will be on the large side as well.....Either of the females you mention ought to be between 25 and 30 lbs. when mature, and 16 or 17" at the shoulder.That's a larger frame, and 10-12 lbs. more than a good sized Standard Rat Terrier..These dogs just have a thicker skeletal construction and are more heavily muscled. ...

....I want to mention that the fellow from Mississippi has not recontacted me regarding Male #1, I'm releasing the reserve hold on him. Male #1 is available again. He's my second largest pup, big&strong...Ian

Last edited by olhippie; 05/26/09.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
...Today my Mississippi man phoned and said he still wants Male#1,I've promised to hold the pup upon receipt of a down payment. So #1 is iffy, but could be spoken for at this point.

....The pups are fully weaned now, and doing well on moistened puppy chow (Black Gold Ultimate Puppy Food).... I'll take updated photos soon....Ian

Last edited by olhippie; 05/27/09.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
BTT

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been training dogs for years and pick up my new project 6/6/09 6 week old bull terrier. I would have had serious interest in your pups, they look very interesting. I have never worked with this breed, some similar. Good Luck with your great looking litter!

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....Took updated photos today and will post by early in the coming week. Two pups left to find homes for. Both females, photos will feature them...Ian

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....Until photos get put up it may help to know that the Females still available are #1 and #4...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Any left?
Interested in Female #4 if she is still available-- Will be in Atlanta in the coming week--can pick up. PM Sent with phone #

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Posting for olhippie--
Here is the #1 female at 6 weeks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#4 and #1 female-- I have my name on #4 right now, but once my girls see them, they may bring both of them home. LOL
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
...Special Thanks to Jamison for posting those three photos above for me, since I'm not fully computer literate. Female #1 is no longer available , Jamison has my promise to hold Female #4 for his inspection this Monday. Female #2 is still available. I've got lots more photos of the pups at 6 weeks of age (they are 8 weeks tomorrow). Interested parties please send me a personal message (PM) with your email address and I'll email more photos to you. Thanks to all those who have already chosen to be a great home for my pups.

....These pups come with all papers necessary to register with either UKC or CKC kennel clubs, or both clubs if you prefer, as well as information on registering with NRTA (National Rat Terrier Association, where they can be separately registered as DECKER terriers)

Last edited by olhippie; 06/13/09.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
....I received a question on whether Decker terriers could be used in bird hunting. YES, Milton Decker who developed the Decker strain Rat Terrier used his dogs for Pheasant and upland birds. You can see photos of his dogs on Pheasant hunts by Googling "Logan Lane Rat Terriers", Then clicking on "Rats of the past". There you'll see some photos of Decker hunting stock hunting birds etc. Although Logan Lane kennels do not offer Decker Strain dogs, but only the smaller standard strain, they've appreciated the Decker's enough to include a page of Decker photos.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is the pic of #2

[Linked Image]

olhippie-- Thanks for holding #4, Lisa will be there tomorrow afternoon to pick her up.... CJ

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
...Thanks again to Jamison for posting photos for me, and for the visit from your beautiful family. I knew when they left with Female#4 (Ellie) that she would have a loving home!

....Just one pup now needs a home. Female #1 (other buyer hasn't come through), and female #2. I'll let just one of those two go and keep the other for my own.

....Come on guy's, there must be another squirrel/coon hunter out there who wants a companion helper on his hunts. These little guys just live for it! Between hunts you'll have as loyal and loving pal as you could ever dream of in one of these dogs.

....Any questions? Just send me a personal message, I'll phone you,or send you my contact phone number....Ian

......P.S....Everythings ready for you, Louis in Alaska. "Jethro" has all his papers ready to fly home to you. Special thanks to you, and Cindy, for the great communications. I've never been more certain that one of my pups had a great home to go to! I do want that photo of Jethro a top a big bear, don't forget me!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,295 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.