-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am familiar with the Howa action not so much the 700 blush.

What are the Pros and Cons of each?

If this has been done before I am sorry, and you can shoot me in the foot.

Last edited by Metsamies; 05/28/09.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a Vanguard (same thing) and 2 Rem. 700s.

Have to say, about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Howa trigger can be set up good by a gunsmith. Remingtons with old style trigger I'd replace. I like Shilen triggers for 'em.

Hate the bolt release on the Howa.

Hate the bottom metal on the Remingtons.

Float the barrel on either, and they shoot pretty straight.

Both use the same scope bases.

Howa seems to sell a lot of actions to other makers, most notably...as I learned here recently...Nosler. Apparently popular among custom gun makers, although not as much so a Remingtons.

Howa may be a tad bit heavier, all other things equal.

FWIW.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've heard good things about the Howa/Vanguard

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a Howa 1500, love that rifle to death. It is a tack driver, but is completely blueprinted and custom.

Same with my Rem. 700.

If you are looking for an action to build on, either one will work, if you are looking for an inexpensive rifle, a Howa will hold its own against Remington 700s. If you can, find a shop with both, handle both, see how they feel to YOU. Then make a decision and go shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Howa/vangards are good rifles, but I run remington because of the weight. I put a bansner stock on a howa trying to loose weight, it was still heavier than a remington factory rifle.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Vanguard, 300 WM, is my go-to rifle. Pacific Research stock, Leupold VX III 4.5x14x40 on Burris Signature rings and bases, with Harris bipod.

The Vanguard is probably a tad bit more refined version of the Howa, which you'd expect from Weatherby.

[Linked Image]

Last three rounds through it...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know the histroy and stuff with Howa just not the fine details that make it different than the 700. I read some place the M1500 is like a melting pot of a mauser 98 and 700. My father has three of them (one is actually stamped Mossberg M1500) I like them. I just have not yet got into the 700's yet.

The barrel and action for the Vanguard are manufactured by Howa in Japan. Final assembly of the Vanguard is performed at Weatherby's company headquarters in Paso Robles, CA.

Thats a group I like to see

Last edited by Metsamies; 05/28/09.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Howa is made in Japan. The ones I've examined seemed not nearly as well made as the Remington. Few if any production rifles are as (out of the box) accurate as the Remington 700.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've yet to have a Howa/Vanguard that don't feed like it has eyes. Have had my share of Remington's that require some work in that area. Bottom metal is better and I can disassemble the bolt much quicker.

Except for a light build I will run a Howa

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Own/shoot several of both type.
Have yet to have a Howa/Vanguard not shoot/feed/function perfectly. Not exactly lightweight but the new Vanguard Back Countrys have a fluted barrel and lightweight B&C stock that make them feel pretty lively. Mine is going into a Edge Sako Classic here soon as McMillan gets it made (Christmas special no less but worth the wait)and I will post all up weight and pics. My experience with the triggers is that while they can be adjusted I just replace them with a Timney.

Love my Remmys but they can be a lil tempermental. Have to say that my newer ones do not have the fit/finish the older models have. I can generally adjust the trigger to my liking. Feeding has been hit or miss but nothing that cannot usually be fixed in 5 minutes or less with a mag spring or follower tweak. My choice as well for a lightweight build.

I call it a draw really. Remmy offers more caliber/barrel options at this point with Howa/Vanguard nipping at the heels and of course offering the 300 and 257 Roy Boys in standard runs. I will say its hard to beat a $400 dollar stainless Vanguard in 300 Wby in a Mcmillan Sako Classic that has a test target with 3 180gr spire points in one hole.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I prefer the Howa/Vanguard myself , but I will say the screw that retains the bolt stop on the Vanguard is pretty weak . I manged to snap it off on my 300 just running the bolt back and for to limber up the action when it was new .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reason I hate the Vanguard bolt release is that it's waaay too lightly sprung. I've gotten out of the truck a couple times now, bumping that release on the way, and had the bolt land in the dirt. Needless to say, this can seriously ruin your day, if you happen to be in a hurry 'cause a monster muley buck is losing patience waiting around for you...which was exactly the situation on one occasion.

Still haven't found a cure for this...???

In fact, thinking about this right now, I think I'm gonna contact Weatherby to see if they've heard of this, and perhaps come up with a solution.

Last edited by sir_springer; 05/29/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you're going it modify/customize the rifle, I think there are more "trick" parts available for the 700. Out of the box, my Vanguards were more accurate.

Norm

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Howa as the bottom of the receiver is machined flat with an integral recoil lug. Reminds me a lot of a push feed Model 70, but I'm a Winchester guy so take that for what it's worth.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Howa 1500 stainless that I really like and it shoots better than I can.

As mentioned above, the Howa receiver has a flat bottom with an integeral recoil lug. I believe it was a direct copy of the older Sako's and the stocks maybe interchangeable.

Th bolt on the Howa is quite "utilitarian" to look at, but functions perfectly. The main attraction over the Remmington is that the handle is a one piece affair rather than dovetailed or braised on, with the Remmingtons bolt being the latter I believe.

Again as already mentioned, Howa's seem to feed very well straight from the box.

The trigger on the Howa is user adjustable and can be made very decent with very little effort. If thats not enough a competant gunsmith can stone it until its very good indeed.

The downside to the Howa is that it is a bit heavy and I don't particularly like all the heavy banner writing on the action and barrel.

Also, the stainless steel on mine is not particularly rust restistant. I have a older Ruger M77Mk2 Stainless synthetic that is far more rust resistant, but I can't comment on stainless Remingtons as I've never owned one.

The bottom metal on my Howa is just about "OK" as its cast and best described as "functional". Compared to my the bottom metal on my Sako M591, the Howa's looks as if it was made in a tractor factory. I suppose at least its metal unlike of say Tikka's and certain Sako's..

With regards Remingtons, their big advantage is that they are so hugely popular. There are far more aftermarket accessories available for the 700 action plus they are a well known quantity to any half decent gunsmith.

Last edited by Pete E; 05/29/09.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by D2Junky
I will say its hard to beat a $400 dollar stainless Vanguard in 300 Wby in a Mcmillan Sako Classic that has a test target with 3 180gr spire points in one hole.

Here, here !! Amen Brother

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess the Howas I've shot must be the exception to the rule. I wasn't impressed at all.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.